• ...and so much more!
  • Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    I just try to keep it going.
    I always wondered what lifetime members would discuss that others normal members would not.

hmm.... Never having to renew yearly membership dues is all I can think of.

Who is the site owner anyways?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Who is the site owner anyways?
    Good question. Gimme a few minutes; I'm on my phone.

I'm back. I forgot about posting this while I was scarfing down a hamburger at Whataburger. :)

From whois:

Domain Name: TEXASGUNTALK.COM
    Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
    Registrant Name: Lee Dodd
    Registrant Organization:
    Name Server: NS1.CONGREGATEMEDIA.COM
    Name Server: NS2.CONGREGATEMEDIA.COM
    DNSSEC: unsigned

I've highlighted the important part. Lee Dodd is a guy with a couple of media companies who buys up and monetizes web forums that have shown themselves to have built a solid foundation. He's associated with over 30 forums either under his name or via a couple of businesses. I get the impression that TGT is being held under Escalatemedia.com but I can't be sure. There's are too many layers to peel back before I'll want to hit the sack.

Here's an interview with him: Interview With Lee Dodd - Founder of Escalate Media - Young Entrepreneurs

Last edited:

Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    Hmm... Not exactly what I was expecting.
    I figured the person that owned this site was a gun guy that might post here occassionally looking for feedback or meet n greet. (Kinda like Goatboy and Edsr on Arfcom) ehh, guess it was more curiosity than anything.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I figured the person that owned this site was a gun guy that might post here occassionally looking for feedback or meet n greet.
    In the beginning, it was.

IIRC (Disclaimers - This is second-hand knowledge. I wasn't here at the beginning. I welcome corrections.) the "gun guy" who founded and built the forum was Texas1911. When the site got big enough and he needed the money, he took an offer and sold it.

Most forum sites this large get bought out. An enthusiast can build a community successfully but the skills required to make the next step and monetize a forum are almost always lacking. However, they can build communities that get large enough to be worth money to companies that do know how to monetize them.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    In the beginning, it was.

IIRC (Disclaimers - This is second-hand knowledge. I wasn't here at the beginning. I welcome corrections.) the "gun guy" who founded and built the forum was Texas1911. When the site got big enough and he needed the money, he took an offer and sold it.

Most forum sites this large get bought out. An enthusiast can build a community successfully but the skills required to make the next step and monetize a forum are almost always lacking. However, they can build communities that get large enough to be worth money to companies that do know how to monetize them.
    Best I can tell this is correct.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Sometimes the do yearly discounts. At every annual convention there are big discounts.

Last time I saw anything else, it was shortly after Sandy Hook, and they were doing a recruitment blitz.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Right back atcha! I'm just chillin' out for the weekend and doing pretty much nothing. My sympathies go out to you for having to work. I hope it's something that makes other people happy, at least.

Top Bottom