APOD Firearms

Anyone own a Mossberg 88 Security #31023?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Found this Mossberg 52150 at Academy this morning. And even got their veterans discount. I bet it will get the home defense job done. Holds 9 shots! Unfortunately I now have a gun with no ammo. Academy was out of anything suitable for home defense.
    Probably should have but this is a 500 and yours an 88. Don't know the difference other than this one holds 9 rounds.
    As noted above I purchased a 500 part number 52150 this morning at Academy. This was the last home defense gun they had. It holds 9 rounds!
    Good choice. How many rounds does it hold?....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Guns International

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Thanks Rotor! Which would be best for home defense? I suppose if I were well practiced 00 a better choice. But maybe without practice #4 buck?
    I keep #4 buck for home defense, 27 pellets. Others use 00 buck 9 pellets. But I have both available. You might want to confirm that these are lead. I don't think I have ever heard of steel buck shot but who knows. Maybe someone else is more knowledgeable.

C7Z062019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2020
    Sugar Land
    I keep #4 buck for home defense, 27 pellets. Others use 00 buck 9 pellets. But I have both available. You might want to confirm that these are lead. I don't think I have ever heard of steel buck shot but who knows. Maybe someone else is more knowledgeable.
    I'll call them again tomorrow and find out and let you know. I would think all buckshot is lead too for the better penetrating power.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I'll call them again tomorrow and find out and let you know. I would think all buckshot is lead too for the better penetrating power.
    I've never heard of steel buckshot, but I did hear of a tungsten alloy (maybe even tungsten/polymer) buckshot for areas that prohibited lead shot. It should still perform as well as lead buckshot at close range.

Also, if you can't find buckshot, a turkey load with plated shot should penetrate well enough for close-range shots.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I keep a few boxes of buckshot and slugs, JIC I might need them. Got lots of #7 and #6 birdshot though. I usually pick up a couple of boxes everytime we go to WalMart.

I don’t know how popular slug is with people, but I found that in my maverick 88 security the federal premium slugs shot perfectly. After shooting a few boxes at the range I turned around and bought more of it to take home.

This slug load is good enough for defense and possibly hunting.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I don’t know how popular slug is with people, but I found that in my maverick 88 security the federal premium slugs shot perfectly. After shooting a few boxes at the range I turned around and bought more of it to take home.

This slug load is good enough for defense and possibly hunting.

I don't really have a need for slugs, but still like having some on hand, just because who knows when you might need them.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I don't really have a need for slugs, but still like having some on hand, just because who knows when you might need them.
    Bro, you should test it out. Look at the ballistics as well. The stopping power is insane. And once you learn where the rounds are going to land at certain ranges it’s accurate enough for its intended purposes.

C7Z062019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2020
    Sugar Land
    I just bought a box of 5 Remington slugs for my new Mossberg 590. These slugs are about the same muzzle energy as a 30-30 rifle. This is the 2 3/4" 1560 muzzle velocity box of 5 rounds.

Attachments

• Remington slug.JPG
      Remington slug.JPG
      46.5 KB · Views: 376

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Bro, you should test it out. Look at the ballistics as well. The stopping power is insane. And once you learn where the rounds are going to land at certain ranges it’s accurate enough for its intended purposes.

I have tested them out. I can hit a man-sized target at 35 yards! They are the Federal Premium slugs.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Slugs are the only thing I don't have. Bought two boxes at Academy today, 15 rounds/box, $12.99 a box, military discount 10%. Their ammo shelves were otherwise empty.
    IMG_2458.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2458.jpg
      IMG_2458.jpg
      48.3 KB · Views: 435
    Top Bottom