• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    as the tite states: anyone order from the CMP anytime this year? i placed an order and i was wondering how long it takes to get the email saying my order has been approved and is being processed. ive seen some people say 17 days and their rifle was home.. others saying months.

Rottweiler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    I've ordered from them several times over a few years. The order time does vary greatly. I've been at both ends of the wait, short and long. Can't really say that one time of the year is better than another

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Honestly, I've qualified for several purchases through rifle competitions but never ordered any. I just don't want the BS of being forced to wait then getting stuck with whatever they send. I know guys that received wonderful rifles and know some that received absolute turds! As soon as they come up for sale from CMP, they start appearing for sale elsewhere. That's contrary to the spirit of CMP sales but it's true. I wait for a while until they hit the resale tables and pay the extra to select one that I really want. That works for me.

Flash

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    rottweiler: you know how your supposed to get an email telling you about your order status?.. well i have yet to get mine but today i got an email about how they are out of carbines (no problems here, i went with the garand.) im confused because if they have my email, then that means they must have my paperwork. but then why havent i recieved any type of acknowledgment of my order being there? roger4314: im starting to see what you mean about the BS. all i have to say is i really hope this is worth it.

Rottweiler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    I think the email about your order status gets sent out when they actually process your order and the box gets shipped. Until they get to that point I think they keep you in the dark

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I think the email about your order status gets sent out when they actually process your order and the box gets shipped. Until they get to that point I think they keep you in the dark.

Correct. And remember, they are just finishing up the Nationals at Camp Perry so the summer is very busy for them. I picked up an M1 from them at the North Store when I was there in 2007. Nice way to pick out the rifle you want.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    i would love to go to the store but from dallas to their south location is 10 hours one way. add the gas for an f150 and a motel room to the price of the 600 dollar gun you might as well buy a new one from springfield. well the other day i finally figured out what was going on. i emailed them and asked what was going on seeing that i mailed them my order on the 14th. they said they did find it and recieved the order on the 26th but they are processing orders that they got on the 23rd. hopefully sometime this week ill get my confermation email and then not have to wait another month to get the dang thing. i really hope this is worth it. one of two things is going to happen. 1: the rifle will be well worth the wait and its everything i wanted and more; or 2: its going to be all banged up and ill be pissed and which i went with the 7.62x39 project i wanted to build.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    The days of really nice M1s from the CMP are pretty much over. When it was the DCM, you got one rifle, that was it forever, and they were USGI turn-ins from the Army, Navy, etc. I got a pretty much un-used Winchester M1 in 1984 and the total price was $112 delivered, but it took almost two years from start to finish to get it. When their charter changed (thanks to Bill Clinton) they had to become self sufficient and make a profit; hence the higher prices for rifles and carbines and most of the GI turn-ins dryed up. Lots of them were cut up into scrap (thanks to Bill, again). At least you're allowed to buy more than one rifle (12 per year limit, as long as they last) and if you're not happy, just take it to the nearest gun show, up the price a couple hundred and you'll make a profit. Just remember, you're buying something that was made about 60 years ago, was sent overseas, and is now back. I've seen some that were in very good shape, except for some dings in the stock and some that needed major work. Wood is easy to replace and the CMP sells new barrels at a good price. The guys on the CMP forum are a wealth of knowledge and can help fix any problems that may come up if you have to do some restoration work.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    im not looking for a perfect weapon that i can hang on the wall and never use. i want one that i can use and not be afraid to use because i spend thousands on it. i didnt purchase the lesser of the grades, i got the field grade which is supposed to be pretty good. buts its always good to hear the feedback people have had.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    If you haven't done it, check out the technical pages at the CMP website on dissasembly and the proper way to lube the rifle. It will save you some headaches. The rifle they send you will have been checked out mechanically and they will have replaced any worn parts, so it will be shootable out of the box. The field grade barrels are supposed to be okay and the stock should be better than the lesser grades. You'll need to lube the rifle before you shoot it. Be careful which ammo you shoot in it. Bad things can happen to the op rod if you use ammo loaded at too high a pressure. Hornady manufactures ammo that is M1 specific. If you reload use IMR 4895 or a similar burn rate powder (e.g. 4064).

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    thanks for the heads up. i plan on getting some of the surplus ammo and then reloading it when the time comes. im just really hoping for a quick shipment and a good quality rifle.

Top Bottom