ARJ Defense ad

Anyone knowledgeable on older S&W revolvers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TKG

Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    This was just passed down to me as an heirloom and I don't really know much about it. Anyone able to put a rough date of manufacture on it or tell me anything about it? Much appreciated if you can.
    9343c0d9-32c4-4547-ac92-248d4b74bc55.jpeg
    70d46dc1-e99a-42b8-9d79-b4b45c3dc194.jpeg
    messages_0.jpeg
    7df76706-25c5-46d1-8e7d-fe022fd2ce73-jpeg.355156
    messages_0 (1).jpeg
    Gun Zone Deals

VNK971

Apr 26, 2021
    Mico, TX
    Looks like a Victory model. Produced during WWII, does it say .38 S&W Ctg or .38 S&W Special Ctg on the barrel?

ETA: Parkerized finish, lanyard loop, smooth grips; cartridge will tell if it was sent to the Brits or kept in the US forces.

Last edited:

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Looks like a S&W Model 1905. Rough date? 1905-1942. Also could easily be a Victory Model. Those had a V prefix on the serial number, but some of the earlier ones didn't. I'm no expert on them though. I have a reference book that MIGHT tell us more. I'll check when I get home tonight.

Last edited:

TKG

Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Whoops, thought I put that one in too. Thank you for everyone's input, looks like I have some research to do. He did serve in WWII, and I was hoping it could be traced back to that era.

messages_0 (2).jpeg

TKG

Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    He was Air Force. I just went through that article, can't find a V on it anywhere, no US Property or Navy on it, or the S or P markings on it? Possible it's just a regular 1905? And just out of curiosity, would I be doing it a great disservice to have it reblued? I'm not interested in shooting or selling it, more of a memento from a great man that just passed.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    He was Air Force. I just went through that article, can't find a V on it anywhere, no US Property or Navy on it, or the S or P markings on it? Possible it's just a regular 1905? And just out of curiosity, would I be doing it a great disservice to have it reblued? I'm not interested in shooting or selling it, more of a memento from a great man that just passed.
    The absence of property marks and a V prefix does not disqualify it from being a Victory model.

I would leave it as is. I only consider refinishing if the gun is a complete wreck, and it has no real collector, historical, or sentimental value.

Your gun has most of those things, and looks to be in pretty good shape.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Before you do anything further, sit down and write down everything you know about the revolver, especially any details of your predecessor's ownership of it. If you have any pictures of him with the gun, put his name on the back along with an estimated date of the picture and locale. Then NUMBER the picture. Reference those pictures in your notes. Once completed, take those notes (and note the pictures - i.e.: "pictures #123", etc in the footing of what you've written, then take 2-3 copies to a notary and have them notarize them. Put them away for safe keeping - that alone will increase the value of the gun over the years.

And, please - do NOT refinish the gun unless your research shows it to be of no historical significance!!!

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    The book wasn't much help.

I'm fairly certain it's a 1905 Model, which it technically would be even if it was a Victory model. I'm not entirely sure what the exact history of that gun is though. I did find this.

It looks like yours, and the serial number is extremely close to yours. It's from 1942. It would have been made shortly before the first true Victory Model revolvers were made.

scattergun6

Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    Really nice piece of history. And you've heard a lot of good advice here. Document as much of its history as you can, and don't refinish it. It's a beauty just as it is.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Looked this up in my Smith Wesson reference book. Assuming this is the original finish, its called Black Magic. That along with the smooth walnut grips without the medallion and with a lanyard ring tells me it’s Model K200, which was a model 1905 that was designated for the British Troops. The serial# puts production between 1906 & 1909. The serial# is in the lower range, so possibly closer to 1906 than 1909.. Most were square butt, but there were some rare round butts

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Looked this up in my Smith Wesson reference book. Assuming this is the original finish, its called Black Magic. That along with the smooth walnut grips without the medallion and with a lanyard ring tells me it’s Model K200, which was a model 1905 that was designated for the British Troops. The serial# puts production between 1906 & 1909. The serial# is in the lower range, so possibly closer to 1906 than 1909.. Most were square butt, but there were some rare round butts
    Thanks for making that clear. My first impression was that the .38 Special revolvers didn't go to the Brits. Obviously I was misremembering that.

Nice to be reminded of my fallibility and that I should pretty much always look things up.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Thanks for making that clear. My first impression was that the .38 Special revolvers didn't go to the Brits. Obviously I was misremembering that.

Nice to be reminded of my fallibility and that I should pretty much always look things up.
    I don’t think you misremembered Ben. I got it wrong. I went back and reread after your comment. The book called it .38 SW and I read Special. Doe! It’s appears to be a 1905

TKG

Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    I posted on the S&W forum as suggested and had a gentleman give me quite a bit of info on it. It looks like I can request a COA from S&W to get a little more on it. Here's what he had to say for anyone interested.

"You have a .38 Military & Police revolver, pre-Victory made in early 1941 (before April when serials hit 999999 and started over at V1). It looks like it never saw service and is in original Black Magic finish. S&W made around 1 million Victory and British Service Revolvers in WWII which were the same except for caliber.

You can purchase an S&W Historical Foundation letter of authenticity for $100. But it is unlikely to tell you much more than we can. Perhaps the exact date of shipment and to where. The location might be valuable to some collectors because not all of these guns were used by the military. Some went to defense plants, law enforcement and the OSS."

Thanks again for everyone's input, there definitely not be any kind of refinishing. I will most likely get the COA just to have with it, it will be cool to hand down to my kids one day. I'll have to ask the in-laws if they have any pics of him with it, but I am doubtful.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I posted on the S&W forum as suggested and had a gentleman give me quite a bit of info on it. It looks like I can request a COA from S&W to get a little more on it. Here's what he had to say for anyone interested.

"You have a .38 Military & Police revolver, pre-Victory made in early 1941 (before April when serials hit 999999 and started over at V1). It looks like it never saw service and is in original Black Magic finish. S&W made around 1 million Victory and British Service Revolvers in WWII which were the same except for caliber.

You can purchase an S&W Historical Foundation letter of authenticity for $100. But it is unlikely to tell you much more than we can. Perhaps the exact date of shipment and to where. The location might be valuable to some collectors because not all of these guns were used by the military. Some went to defense plants, law enforcement and the OSS."

Thanks again for everyone's input, there definitely not be any kind of refinishing. I will most likely get the COA just to have with it, it will be cool to hand down to my kids one day. I'll have to ask the in-laws if they have any pics of him with it, but I am doubtful.
    I agree with you. This is a great piece of history and will be awesome to pass it along to your kids.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gearhead_Gunsmith
    Top Bottom