• ...and so much more!
  • Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    What they used to do was auction off the tax debt, thereby granting a lien on the property that accrued interest , until paid or property was sold.

Now they auction of the land deeds for unpaid taxes in many states. I bought some land that way that I've never visited by a lake in Az. Tax bill is due in Oct there, if unpaid by January- to auction it goes. It's easy to overlook a tax bill due to life circumstances, etc.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    This is normal in a foreclosure - you lose it all.
    Michigan is notoriously aggressive in collecting property taxes, I believe they're among the states that require payment twice a year. Some states auction property within months of an unpaid bill, with little notice; Texas usually takes years and there is a reclamation period.
    After years of working in real estate, I've noticed there is a substantial percentage of the population that refuses to accept reality when it comes to losing their house. If you can't pay your mortgage, taxes, HOA, etc., you will eventually loser your house! Yet these people will lose substantial equity in their house because they refuse to accept they're going to lose it and don't sell it and walk away with a check.

Eli

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    In TGT tradition here is a vaguely relevant video with no context, opinion, or value added by myself.

This dolt is supposed to be an attorney? Seriously? He's clueless about the concept of foreclosure, and outright wrong about automobile repossession - when the repo man takes your car, you lose it all!
    Oh, he's a TaXaTiOn iS ThEfT tard. No it makes sense.
    It's not 'theft' if you lose your equity as a result of legal action that you can stop to at any point. Pay your bills, you won't have a problem - if you actually have equity, you can refinance or sell the property.
    Good luck trying to enforce this ruling in Texas.

Eli

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    This dolt is supposed to be an attorney? Seriously? He's clueless about the concept of foreclosure, and outright wrong about automobile repossession - when the repo man takes your car, you lose it all!
    It's not 'theft' if you lose your equity as a result of legal action that you can stop to at any point. Pay your bills, you won't have a problem - if you actually have equity, you can refinance or sell the property.

Eli
    You seem to be very passionate about it.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX

Eli
    He is a lawyer in Michigan the State laws could be different there. He generally practices lemon law and dealer deception there.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Like I always tell people, doesn’t matter if you rent or own, you still pay and answer to a landlord. Only difference being one is private and one is the government.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    In Texas, the county files a lien against the property for the tax debt. This lien wipes out all existing liens on the property, such as mortgages, second mortgages, hoa, etc..

If I remember right, the tax lien does not dissolve in IRS lien, so, if you purchase property at a tax lien sale, you inherit the IRS lien. (Not sure if this part is 100% right, but this is the way I remember it.)

At the tax sale, the opening bid is the taxes due on the property. Anything in excess of the opening bid, that surplus goes back to the property owner.

The property owner has six months to have the sale rescinded by paying a purchaser the amount paid at auction and an additional 25%. If the property is homestead, agricultural, or mineral rights, then the person who was foreclosed on has up to two years to rescind the sale by paying the auction amount, +25% above the auction price.

Reactions: Eli
    Top Bottom