Patriot Mobile

Any recommendations on a semi-auto 12ga?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I've wanted to purchase a semi-auto 12 ga for some time. I'm drawn to the VersaMax based on it's "eats any and all shells" marketing pitch. I see where Gander Mountain is running the VersaMax synthetic for $1050 (after mail in rebate.) That's not a bad price but they also advertise the VersaMax Sportsman for $800 (after mail in rebate.) Can anyone explain the difference in these 2 models? I prefer a 28" barrel but I'd probably be ok with a 26". Any help explain the difference in these 2 would be greatly appreciated.
    Texas SOT

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I've wanted to purchase a semi-auto 12 ga for some time. I'm drawn to the VersaMax based on it's "eats any and all shells" marketing pitch. I see where Gander Mountain is running the VersaMax synthetic for $1050 (after mail in rebate.) That's not a bad price but they also advertise the VersaMax Sportsman for $800 (after mail in rebate.) Can anyone explain the difference in these 2 models? I prefer a 28" barrel but I'd probably be ok with a 26". Any help explain the difference in these 2 would be greatly appreciated.
    Pulled from the interwebs:

You don’t get the adjustable drop-and-cast feature, the overmolded grips, the hard carrying case or the length-of-pull shim kit. Plus, with the Sportsman, you don’t get the Hi-Viz sights (just a straight front bead/mid-bead setup) or the five-pack of various Pro-Bore choke tubes (just one).

And Gander Mountain is one pricey sum'vabich. Cabela's is pricey but their service is top notch (at least they one in Fort Worth) and makes it worthwhile. Gander, not so much. Been to a few different ones and just didn't have them same experience.

Last edited:

Spoonie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    SETX
    I wouldn't touch a Remington if you are talking new. They are in no way the same company they use to be.

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    I've got a second hand 1100 I got years ago from someone who put the gun through its paces without a doubt. Other than the bolt latch coming off mid 3-gun match years back (since fixed) I've had no issues with it. Been a great gun.

Recently picked up a Benelli supernova pump, smoothest, "softest" shooting 12 ga I've ever shot. Awesome gun and has a very short action, find one to play around with, may make you change your mind and consider a pump.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    How much do you want to spend? M4 won't cycle light loads

Just deflowered a brand new M4 today shooting trap. It indeed did not cycle 7.5 shot 2 3/4 shells all too reliably, but had no problem busting clays with whatever factory size barrel/choke combo it had when it did shoot, at varying ranges. I've heard it would cycle lighter loads if you shoot 50 to 100 heavy loads (00 buck to slugs) through it first, but didn't have time to do that.

Not optimal for hunting.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just deflowered a brand new M4 today shooting trap. It indeed did not cycle 7.5 shot 2 3/4 shells all too reliably, but had no problem busting clays with whatever factory size barrel/choke combo it had when it did shoot, at varying ranges. I've heard it would cycle lighter loads if you shoot 50 to 100 heavy loads (00 buck to slugs) through it first, but didn't have time to do that.

Not optimal for hunting.
    It is called "breaking it in" and I think it is covered in the owners manual.

That being said the M4 I had didn't like light loads either.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    It is called "breaking it in" and I think it is covered in the owners manual.

That being said the M4 I had didn't like light loads either.

I didn't read the owners manual but a friend who also has an M4 assured me that it didn't have one. Figured he was full of shit lmao. Eh, wasn't my gun, but i told the owner to break it in with heavy loads.

EDIT: am flipping through an online copy of the manual from benellis website. not seeing any break in mentioned.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I didn't read the owners manual but a friend who also has an M4 assured me that it didn't have one. Figured he was full of shit lmao. Eh, wasn't my gun, but i told the owner to break it in with heavy loads.

EDIT: am flipping through an online copy of the manual from benellis website. not seeing any break in mentioned.
    I didn't read the manual for mine either. Even with a proper break in I don't think it would cycle the cheap hunting loads well, but I have no intention of getting another one.

Now my SBE II cycles everything well, from the cheapest 2 3/4s to the heaviest 3 1/2s. Plus it is a much better feeling gun to me. They are absolutely worth the high price tag.

Laser1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2015
    Hard to beat the venerable Remington 1100. I have one that's about 30 years old. I don't know how many thousands of shells I've run through it at the trap range. Only thing I've ever had to replace are the rubber gas ring.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I wouldn't touch a Remington if you are talking new. They are in no way the same company they use to be.

I've owned a bunch of Remington 1100 shotguns since my first around 1968. A few years ago, I saw a brand new 1100 at Carter's Country so I bought it. The receiver has no engraving like the originals did and the wood is a beautiful Walnut instead of the older "bowling pin" hard, glossy finish. The new 1100 shotgun shoots great and although the gun lost the wonderful, fancy dressing the old ones had, it's still a terrific value!

Flash

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Laser1,

I don't think that you would like the newer Model 1100 shotguns. = NOT the "same animal" at all.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    cpileri,

ImVho, IF you want a "deal" on a NICE shotgun, go hang around the door of most any large gun-show late on the afternoons & you'll likely see something that grabs your attention.

Some of my "late in the day treasures":
    1. A MINT Franchi 12-gauge semi-auto for 200.oo,
    2. A Model 760 Remington in .35 Whelen, which the PO said he "couldn't handle the kick of" for 225.oo,
    (That pump-gun is a POWERHOUSE for anything in the Western Hemisphere & does NOT "kick" that bad.)
    3. A Model 65 S&W 4" revolver in nice shape, with a perfectly serviceable Don Hume OTB holster for 250.oo
    and
    4. A cardboard box with lots of reloading supplies, including 4 unopened cans of smokeless powder for 50.oo.

At the last San Antonio Freeman Colosseum gun-show, I saw but didn't buy a quite nice circa-1970 Browning Light 12 SA shotgun for 300.oo, that another "bargain hunter" grabbed.

It pays to be PATIENT.

yours, satx

Last edited:

NTxShooter84

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Buda
    Quote This

Get the one which has managed to get past the U.S. Patent office.

If you want to see 'wood' on a Benelli, you should get a sump-pump.
    Go look for some mud.

Stick w/Mossberg.
    ARMY uses them.
    USMC abuses them.

Go HAIR FORCE - get a Stoger.
    There was an Article about Over Under / Side (by) Side 's :
    Tactical Home Defense.

Go Ocelot -- Thrill - Tactical Reload.

If you can't "decide" its because you're sitting on a $400 budget.
    Just go buy 6 boxes of ammo : Split 2 Sport & Clay, 2 Slug, 2 00 Buck.

Most times, they're Sporting and then HD (Home Defense).
    Don't fool yourself that $2000 is a deal.

Upgrade to FN Herstal SLP later on.

TK6411

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Ive got a 30 yr old 1100 and a 4 yr old 1100 and while there may be a few differences (newer one has a Rem-choke system vs the older one's fixed choke) they are both great shotguns.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The Remington 1100 has been a life long favorite. Had new ones and lots of old ones and have zero complaints about any of them.

I noticed a manufacturing change on the new ones. The old barrels had the ventilated ribs silver soldered or brazed to the barrel. The new barrel ribs show show obvious signs of being spot welded to the barrels. Not sure why that would make a difference, but it is another change in modernization.

I miss the receiver engraving and the bowling pin hard finishes on the new stocks but the wood is still pretty......just different.

On my older 1100's, if the stocks looked ratty, I ordered replacement stocks and forearms direct from Remington for about $220. That's some nice wood, but lacks the glossy finish.

Flash

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Stick w/Mossberg.
    ARMY uses them........when it comes to procurement, DFARS and GSA want low bidder. You get what you're willing to pay for (if you're lucky")

USMC abuses them......like toilet paper. With the same end result, particularly in dusty, sandy, dirty environments where the operators have a high operational tempo.

Go HAIR FORCE - get a Stoger......yea, first mistake was naming it a stogey. Though their customer service is among the best in the industry, whether youre .mil, .gov, or civilian.

IMHO Stoegers offered a lot of value when they were priced around $379 for black furniture and $500 for the camo version. Obviously, the put their R&D where it counts, the reselt being a much more reliable and durable shotgun. But's it's not an A-player when a Franchi can be had for just a few more dollars.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I have a couple of Tri-Star Raptors for home defense. I keep one at arm's reach in the two places I spend 95 percent of my time at home. In my experience, as long as I break them in well and avoid using light loads they function flawlessly. I AM careful about the shells I use.

Top Bottom