Hurley's Gold

Any recommendations on a semi-auto 12ga?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    The one i hunt with is a Remington 1100 2.75" only, and while i like it it is 45 years old, and soon will be ready for replacement. So i need another semi-auto smoothbore.

It would be nice if the next one was robust enough for the Tri-ball loads and other heavy loads . not necessary, but nice. Are any semi-autos built to withstand a diet of heavy loads?
    I imagine some of the 3.5" magnums could. But do the 3.5" chambered semi's feed/cycle/eject 2.75" shells reliably? Thus, I would also like it to digest reliably all shell lenghts (2.75 and 3 at least, 3.5" not necessary).

One other thing, though I can get used to anything, is that the operation of the 1100 is not all that intuitive; it has that little tab on the loading lever that acts as a bolt close but also sometimes prevent a rapid reloading as the hulls sometimes dont "just slide in" the mag tube. i'd like its successor to be easy and slick.

I practiced "loading deuces" (two shells at a time) w this old classic, and it was a comedy of errors. In my 870, it was easy.

Does anyone knwo if the benelli M4 takes alonger barrel (26"-30")? or for that matter will take a wooden, more 'hunting looking" stock?
    The M4 seems to have everything I want; ergonomics, gas operation, and ultra-reliability. but its in shorter barrel 'tactical" style, which isnt what I am looking for.

Is this asking too much?

Any recommendations?

C-
    Gun Zone Deals

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I have an older Beretta A391 and love it.

Last year I got to shoot one of these, nice gun.
    A400 Xplor Unico

I also hear real good things about the Benelli Montefeltro line of shotguns.

If you want 3 1/2 options, check out the Benelli Super Eagles II, they have a good following.

All of the above come in wood and blue steel.

trigger643

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Kingwood
    I've had the Benelli M1 Super 90 and it's sporting twin, the Montefeltro. Both would eat whatever diet you wanted to feed them, but for an auto loader, they were a little punishing with their inertia driven systems when shooting heavier loads.

I now have an FNH SLP which I really like and am keeping an eye out for a deal on an FNH SLP Competition ... either that or a gently used Beretta AL391 Teknys.

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    THANKS ALL! Beretta 390 series seems a clear favorite, as does simply getting another 1100.

budget is undetermined as i expect this could get expensive. i dont want to spend more than necessary, but i know i might have to.

someone mentioned Stoeger: which one?

C-

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    1100's can sometimes be picked up with cycling issues cheap and most of the times oring kit fixes it. The 11-87 is decent as well. The Berretta 390/391 is a bullet proof system and friendly on the shoulder. The Winchester is or should be the same as the Winchester semi.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    The stoeger 3000 has same gas system as the M2. I have a buddy that shoots a Versa Max and it's soft shooting. Granted it also had about $1k worth of work done to it also

cryption

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Houston
    I think I may be the only Weatherby shotgunner on the forums, but I love my SA-08 synthetic. I wanted a gun tough enough to bounce around the back of a truck, to wander around the ranch with, to hunt with, shoot skeet with. It's rarely cleaned, and shot weekly. It's a Turkish gun, branded by Weatherby - and I couldn't be happier with it. My gal (and shooting / hunting compadre) swears by her Browning Silver Hunter. It's a great shotgun! But I tell ya what, not twice the price great. The synthetic stock of the Weatherby takes a beating - and still looks great. I'm taking off work early to go shoot skeet with a friend .... and it will get 4 rounds and 2 shooters through it. It won't let me down.

Top Bottom