• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Entertaining the idea of getting a mac10 or mac11 with the intention of getting a lage upper to run with suomi coffin mags and drums. So 9mm would be my choice. But I believe the 45acps can be converted to take the 9mm mags?

I believe the MACs / Cobrays have different locations of where they were made with some being better than others? Anyone have experience with them to point out which ones to look at or steer clear of?
    Capitol Armory ad

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    Any Mac made in 1986 was rushed out the door before the ban. But honestly they are all crappy sheetmetal $150 guns.

Now that being said they are also the Legos of the machinegun world.
    You can remake them into anything now. My M11-9mm has a sten conversion with an A2 stock and front foregrip. It's fun to shoot suppressed. I have the lage 22 upper, it's a little more finicky due to being rimfire. But way fun and easy on the pocket book. And now I'm expecting my Lage .233 upper any day. I've been the there facility in Mesa AZ. They are good people and Lage makes great products.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Is there any major benefit or difference going with a 10 vs 11?
    I want to say get the MAC 11 (assuming it's still compatible with your desired Lage upper) that way you get a smaller, more comfortable pistol grip.

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    Mac11 and mac10 have a very different feel. Mac11 are narrow and feel sleek to me. The mac10 is wider and more of a chunky girl for your hand.

Mac11 only came in 9mm, and 380 acp. Don't get the 380 acp. I've heard of many issues with them.

Mac10 can be 9mm or 45acp.

For the investment, get what feels good. Remember, For all the caliber conversions, you are still stuck holding the same grip and trigger.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    That's for the info guys. Will continue looking and post here if I find something that looks decent

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    I always heard the ones made in Stephenville TX had bad welds and could shoot themselves apart.

The magazine catches can be different on the MAC 10, where the original and Master Piece Arms can use factory grease gun mags in .45 cal, others have to get the magazines cut and could cause minor feeding issues.

Zapp

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    I always heard the ones made in Stephenville TX had bad welds and could shoot themselves apart.

The magazine catches can be different on the MAC 10, where the original and Master Piece Arms can use factory grease gun mags in .45 cal, others have to get the magazines cut and could cause minor feeding issues.

I have a Powder Springs Mac 10 in 45, and a masterpiece arms MPA10. The magazines from the MPA10 definitely do not work in the MAC. Do you know where the cut is made?

And even though the suppressor threads look similar, the suppressor for the Mac, will not fit the MPA. I hadn't gotten around to trying to figure out if the pitch is different or if it is just a QC issue on thread machining.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    I have a Powder Springs Mac 10 in 45, and a masterpiece arms MPA10. The magazines from the MPA10 definitely do not work in the MAC. Do you know where the cut is made?

And even though the suppressor threads look similar, the suppressor for the Mac, will not fit the MPA. I hadn't gotten around to trying to figure out if the pitch is different or if it is just a QC issue on thread machining.

I just know the non Ingram and non MPA use modified magazines, there might be two different cuts. I have a semi auto MPA and use military M3 grease gun magazines as did the Ingram M10 we had at work.

I will see if I can find online, as I know there was a place that sold different magazines.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX

3.75” down from the feed lip it seems, in the 2nd magazine listed

ArmyDub

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2020
    Texas
    the 9mm M11 I saw was a Cobray and longer looking than the real .380 M11 (which more closely resembles the M10 proportions).

A5B139CE-1C15-4D70-8A17-CEE944032386.jpeg
    440D6585-F097-427A-BE18-7889F7162509.jpeg

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    "M11/9" is what many people are calling a "Mac 11" That's like saying you want an "AR-15" but in reality, you want a Colt M16A1.

The easy answer without a giant history lesson is you want a M11/9 made by SWD. That will bypass all the single-feed double feed Texas MAC garand safety 9 or 45 nonsense. The M11/9 is the most popular and best at keeping value, as it's the most supported with aftermarket parts. (IE Suomi mag fed. Open that checkbook if you want Suomi coffin mags though... many many years of not being made has skyrocketed the price.)

Texas macs are generally not well received... however there are some Tx stamped macs that were actually made by Daniels, and they're solid options--- but you have to know what you're looking for. As such, many people just avoid Texas macs entirely.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    I have an original Powder Springs (Georgia) MAC10/9. The mags are the biggest pain in the ass to find. I got a couple with the gun when I bought it in 2002 and a few more 25rd stick mags on the internet after that. None of them really work great. I found brand new upper kit 10 years ago, but I haven't successfully been able to get it on my lower. I think it has too many rubber buffer pads on the bolt. These open bolt guns are HEAVY. They are really not shootable with one hand. But man they run fast! Like a fresh f----ed fox in a forest fire. 1200rpm, just showering brass (or lacquer coated steel) all over the place. I bought cases of Wolf 9mm back when it was cheap just to run through it. I got an old two stage SWD silencer with the gun when I bought it. The dealer basically threw it in for free with the gun because it wasn't worth the $200 tax stamp. It had a removable end cap and old corroded rubber wipes that needed replacing. I sent it to an NFA manufacturer out in Oregon and he rebuilt it with all new baffles and replaced the end cap with metal baffles instead of rubber wipes. The thing runs great now. With subsonic ammo it's reasonably quiet, but open bolt guns are still loud even with a can.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    "M11/9" is what many people are calling a "Mac 11" That's like saying you want an "AR-15" but in reality, you want a Colt M16A1.

The easy answer without a giant history lesson is you want a M11/9 made by SWD. That will bypass all the single-feed double feed Texas MAC garand safety 9 or 45 nonsense. The M11/9 is the most popular and best at keeping value, as it's the most supported with aftermarket parts. (IE Suomi mag fed. Open that checkbook if you want Suomi coffin mags though... many many years of not being made has skyrocketed the price.)

Texas macs are generally not well received... however there are some Tx stamped macs that were actually made by Daniels, and they're solid options--- but you have to know what you're looking for. As such, many people just avoid Texas macs entirely.

Thanks for the info. Will look for m11/9 by swd. Have some coffin mags and suomi drums already that would fit the bill for the lage conversion. Is there a reputable vendor that you know of that may have some or deals in class 3 full autos that may get one over time?

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Was able to find an SWD M11/9 with Lage MAX-11 MK2 upper. Now just to wait on the transfers.

No original upper, only aftermarket. Gun has been reworked and reviewed by Practical Solutions.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Was able to find an SWD M11/9 with Lage MAX-11 MK2 upper. Now just to wait on the transfers.

No original upper, only aftermarket. Gun has been reworked and reviewed by Practical Solutions.
    Where is Practical Solutions? I have an original Powder Springs MAC10/9 and also a replacement upper kit. I messed up my original upper while disassembling it to clean and it doesn't run as well since. I can't seem to get the new upper working. Maybe they could work on it for me.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Where is Practical Solutions? I have an original Powder Springs MAC10/9 and also a replacement upper kit. I messed up my original upper while disassembling it to clean and it doesn't run as well since. I can't seem to get the new upper working. Maybe they could work on it for me.
    https://macmachineguns.com/

They are in Tennesse but apparently are the go to guys for anything MAC related.

Top Bottom