• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Bought myself a AR10 a few years back. I love Armalite but didn't want to spend Armalite dollars so I bought an 18" .308 DB10 with a CMC trigger and nice light handguard from the factory. I had 1 decent group with at the start, a 5 shot group of Hornady black that was at 1.25". Otherwise it's been just ok. Most 100 yard groups are 2-2.5" (5 shot). So I decided to rebarrel it rather than buy another AR10.

I bought a BA barrel(20") and all the necessary additions to make it work. So on to the disassembly and no surprises with the gas block after pulling off the handguard. Tapped it off since the barrel nut is clocked for the gas tube. Since it was a free-float guard I was going to reuse, I didn't think much of the indexing. I grab my trusty wrench and notice it doesn't fit. Hmmm, most free-floats have flats.

So here is the dilemma, they use a proprietary nut and the tool is unobtainable. After a tech email from them it said oh ya the db10 uses a proprietary nut and the tool in not available ! The finish was easily chipping by the trigger guard and I could live with that but this is next level fuckery. Anyhow as a mechanic by trade I going to reach for my vice grip chain plier this weekend and give it a go. Pisses me off because I prefer to actually torque it properly but I guess I'm just going to have to tighten it by feel.

Here's a picture of the goofy ass nut.
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• IMG_20240229_091010991_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20240229_091010991_HDR.jpg
      219.6 KB · Views: 44

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I thought about it but the vise grip chain plier has nice round contours to potentially fit. If it feels like it's going to slip, that's my back up plan. Thin leather and a pipe wrench.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Did some googling and found these- hope it helps some...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I thought about it but the vise grip chain plier has nice round contours to potentially fit. If it feels like it's going to slip, that's my back up plan. Thin leather and a pipe wrench.
    FWIW, I replaced my barrel by throwing the upper in a bench vise with a couple rags around it to prevent scuffing and pretty sure it was a pipe wrench I used for the barrel nut. Installed new barrel the same and it’s been a great shooting rifle.

I only wish I’d taken pictures of the process to irritate the puritans, lol. I did have to use a claw hammer to spread the receiver again, I got compressed a little in the vice. ARs are tougher than the memes suggest.

Top Bottom