• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edwarethered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    La Marque, Texas
    So I have a Thompson/Center Dimension rifle chambered in 30-06 that I generally regard as the worst firearms purchase i'll probably ever make, but that's not the motivation behind this rant.

My big issue here is that I have had nothing but a hard time dealing with T/C customer service, which surprised me seeing as how it all goes through Smith and Wesson. Figured a company that has been around as long as them would have warranty work, communication and customer service down. Maybe they do but just don't give a damn about the T/C line. Either way, I won't be buying another of either.

Here's the sequence of events so far. I bought the rifle used from a friend, who bought it from some jackass he knows. It looked unused at the time.
    After that I mounted up a nice Zeiss scope on the sucker and commenced to try to sight it in. Well, the groupings I was getting on this rifle were between 2.5" and 8" (tried several different boxes of ammo) at 100yrds. Considering that the rifle was advertised to shoot 1MOA out the box, I figured something had to be wrong. Checked the scope by mounting it on a friend's Remington 700, low and behold, I was shooting 1" groups with the same scope and ammo on a different rifle. So I set out to find T/C's support and warranty contact number online.
    When I found the number, I also found out that there was a recall on the safety switch. So I called them up, and low and behold, they have no records at all, of what rifles they've checked out for the recall. You'd figure that would be easy to keep track of by serial number, but apparently not. Only way to tell was to look for a pit mark they put on the side of the switch of the rifles they checked for the issue. Surprise Surprise, mine didn't have one. So I set about trying to get the return label sent to me from T/C. Requested the label the first time, and they said it would take 7 to 10 business days for me to get the label. No big deal right?
    Well, business day 10 came, and there was no label.
    So I called back to see if they had my address correct and to confirm there wasn't a communication error that resulted in it going to the wrong address. Well, they apparently don't keep any records of what labels they send out, or even that someone requested one. So it all started back over. I spent the next 8 months requesting a return label every time it didn't show up after the 10 business days until I finally got a helpful person on the customer service line, and she emailed me the label while we were still on the phone and informed me that after the receive the rifle, it will be 6 to 8 weeks to check out the safety switch and the accuracy issue. Considering I just tried for 8 months to get a label, 8 weeks wouldn't be bad at all I thought. Well, it's past 8 weeks currently, and they don't even know if any work has been performed on my rifle AT ALL or atleast if they did, they wouldn't tell me. They even asked me what the issue was with the rifle, and didn't have anything in their records about the problem it was having. Despite all the phone calls, the letter enclosed in the box with the rifle as per the instructions with the return process, and a long ass email explaining the issues I've had with the rifle, the issues I've had with getting the return label and recommending the only person there who could seem to get me a label for a raise, they still have no record of what the issue is? Seriously?

Am I the only person in the fucking country who expects a business that large to have their crap together better than this?

I'm not pissed about it going past their estimated service time. I get that, shit happens. But if you can't check the thing out is 6 to 8 weeks, don't tell me it'll be 6 to 8 weeks! And on top of that, atleast retain some sort of service record outside of "we received the rifle."

Basically as it stands, I really don't care for this rifle anymore, especially if it had to come with this much baggage. Going to wait it out and test it when it gets back. If it's still grouping like a shotgun, I'm going to have to track down someone who thinks they can fix it and sell it to them cheap. Hell, if they keep dragging their feet at T/C, I'm almost thinking about telling them to keep the fucking thing and just eating the cost of the money i dropped on that POS. $300 for a rifle sounded like one hell of a deal at that moment, now I think I should have just slammed my fingers in the car door instead. Probably wouldn't have pissed me off as bad and I wouldn't have had to play phone tag with customer service for nearly a damned year.

As of today, I've been told they'll look into the status of the rifle, and call me on Tuesday(not the first time I've been told they would call, might be the first time they actually call me though) to tell me what's going on. They'll call meon the phone number they have on file for me, along with my address and name, and SN on the rifle. They have all that but nothing as to why they have the rifle, or what's been done to it so far. That make sense to anyone?

Sorry, Had to get this shit out. Now that the rant is out of the way, If any of ya'll have had dealings with S&W or T/C fixing your firearms, is this typical of their level of service or did I just hit the jackpot on BS?
    Guns International

Edwarethered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    La Marque, Texas
    I hope it's just my luck. We'll see. Grand irony of the whole thing, I would think the accuracy issue would be with the barrel, and the Dimension is a modular rifle that the barrel screws off with some tools that come with the rifle. So you'd think it would be easy for them to check. Thought about buying another barrel and conducting my own test before i sent it off, but my luck it would either be another issue, or the rifle was just a turd to begin with and I'd be out another $100 to $200. If it comes back working good, or comes back at all, I'll give them credit for whatever they do right, but as things currently stand, I'm very unhappy.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Can't say I blame you for not wanting to spend more money on it.

It just boggles my mind that their record keeping is so bad. Not sending the label, no record of receiving the rifle, no record of why it was sent in or even when.

Next time you call in work your way up the ladder until you find somebody that cares.

hoghunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    T/C used to be a great company with excellent customer service. If a part needed replacement and you told C.S. you could replace it if you just had the part - unless it was the frame, they would ship the part usually at no charge. If the firearm needed a return to the factory they usually sent shipping labels. Then S&W bought them and it's a completely different company as you've found out. Instead of dealing with CS, go higher up the food chain and request talking to a V.P. I have had much better luck.

Edwarethered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    La Marque, Texas
    Figure i'll try kicking it up the change if I don't get the call from them on Tuesday that they promised me. Hardest part for me of this whole damned thing is trying not to get completely pissed when they ask me a question i've been asked a million times and they should have written down by now. I'll post any developments. S&W and T/C are definitely on my not buying again list though unless they work a miracle on this shit.

Edwarethered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    La Marque, Texas
    Update. Got my promised phone call today from the same lady at customer service that actually does her job. Her name's Anna by the way, apparently when you call T/C customer service, you should pray to get her, She can get stuff done. Gave them a pass on the call being a day late, Shit happens. Currently the status is that the recall has been handled, and the barrel and stock replaced and it's packaged to be sent back via Fedex. Waiting for the confirmation email that Fedex picked up the package then I'm estimating about a week ship time.

Only took 9 weeks since they got it to get it taken care of, but the lack of answers to simple questions about the status, and being asked how long ago I shipped it were frustrating ass hell. Also, 9 weeks seems excessive for a stock and barrel replacement on a modular rifle, but it was free.

As soon as it gets back i'm going to mount the scope back on it, and take it to the range for a full battery of test and a barrel break-in. Hopefully it'll hit that 1moa they advertise. I'll post my findings. If it fails to shoot as accurately for me as my friends Remington 700 does, I'm selling it, not playing the warranty work game again. We'll see.

Edwarethered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    La Marque, Texas
    Rifle arrived today via fedex. Went ahead and mounted my scope on it, going to hopefully get it to the range this weekend to sight it in, and see how it performs. Grey grip pieces on the stock look much darker than on the old stock, but already this stock is developing the same peel marks the old one did. Luckily, I didn't care about that rubberized coating anyways. Hope the peeling wasn't why they changed the stock, seems like a goofy reason to me. Anyhow, Range report to follow this weekend, with pictures.

Edwarethered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    La Marque, Texas
    Well, everything seems in working order. Had to get used to a trigger without creep again, which was tough, but It's grouping pretty damn good despite my bad shooting(had to knock the rust off myself). Following picture is of a target I was walking the group in on, Posted at 100yds, with Federal powershok 150Gr soft point. Used that last of that box of ammo on the one in the white, and realized the other box I had on me were 180gr. Some followup shots with the 180gr Federals had them at the same windage, lower POI, still grouping well, but my phone sucks and the picture didn't come one. 3 on far left were one group, 3 to the right of those in the orange and the one zinger(high right but still in orange) were the next group. Last 2 were the last group, one on the edge of the white what right after the adjustments on the scope, the one on the center line was the last round of that type I had. Can't wait to see how it does when we find a round it really likes and I get back in the swing of shooting that rifle.
    0327161625.jpg

Here's a picture of the rifle on the bench with the scope mounted up, Just incase anyone was wondering what it looked like. Next step for me is getting with my buddy who handloads and working up a load for it.
    0327161609.jpg

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the end result. It took way longer than I thought was reasonable (especially with getting the return label to begin with), but atleast it's performing the way it should now. Despite my sloppy shooting.

Edwarethered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    La Marque, Texas
    Happy you finally got it back and working. :green:

Thank you, Definitely a relief. Got a little worried I wasn't going to get it back when they had no answers for me as to whether of not it was even worked on yet. Also I really didn't want to have to find a way to sell that thing without feeling guilty if it ended up still shooting like garbage. Now I just have to fix the shooting on my end, work up some loads, and find somewhere to stock up the freezer.

Top Bottom