• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Looking to buy a 1-ton diesel in the next year to pull a 5th wheel. I am looking to do travelling contract work and want to get a trailer to live in. Thinking of buying one thats a couple years old opposed to brand new.

I have only ever had smaller gas vehicles so I am unfamiliar with diesel engines! I am pretty handy and love working on vehicles so im not worried about maintenance...plus I'm planning to go through a dealer so that I can take it in while on the road if needed!

Now the fun part....Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GMC, or other?....I would like good, logical answers about why I should pick one or the other. This will be a puller as well as my daily commuter, hoping to commute short distances but no guarantees on that!
    Texas SOT

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I wish so hard that they'd put a CAT in a pickup. Solid engines, and very mechanic friendly.n

Those dodge cummins have a good reputation - especially the older models before all the epa crap.

Keep this in mind when looking at used trucks- a well taken care of diesel is good for at least 1 Million miles. A diesel with 300,000 miles is still pretty young.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I wish so hard that they'd put a CAT in a pickup. Solid engines, and very mechanic friendly.n

Those dodge cummins have a good reputation - especially the older models before all the epa crap.

Keep this in mind when looking at used trucks- a well taken care of diesel is good for at least 1 Million miles. A diesel with 300,000 miles is still pretty young.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I've seen a lot of Cat motors on the floor. They make a hell of a tractor motor that'll chug along all day long but Cummins has them beat for highway cruising.

If I was rich. I'd buy a Cat backhoe but a semi with a Cummins.

Last edited:

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    Subscribed!

The doges seem to have a problem keeping the front wheels going in the desired direction,Chevy diesels don't seem to last as long as they should and are short on the power department, and some of the ford diesels drink more antifreeze than diesel. We are still hanging on my wife's VW TDI, if the retrofit kill the milage or drivability the car sucks.

I need a 1 ton farm truck NOW, but what do I BUY?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The new 6.7l PowerStroke in the Ford trucks is a great engine. In 2015 the power was bumped up with a new turbo to aid in down hill slowing power.

If I had the money that is where I would go.

Chevy makes a solid truck but has issues with accessories. The plastic parts just don't hold up. Drove one for work and the plastic pieces just kept falling off and minor electrical issues were constant. It ran though.

I just have never liked Dodges. I think they are junk all around. The problems are a little more constant and bigger than on a Chevy. The Cummins runs though.

But everybody is making a decent truck depending on who you talk to and which Koolaid you drink. Really the choice is yours and get the brand you like.

Ford didn't need to get bailed out by the .gov even with the crap diesel engines they put out from 2003 to 2010 (6.0 and 6.4). Do not get one of those.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am in a similiar position as you though. I am looking to get an RV trailer for work also but it will be a year or two before I do. I am leaning towards an F150 as 90% of my miles will be run empty. This does limit my trailer size but that is ok. I don't need much anyways.

I can upgrade later on the truck and trailer as I see fit. But a half ton will do what I need for years to come.

My trailer will be parked for 5 months at a time so constant pulling isn't a concern. If I pulled it every week then that would be different.

I do know guys that drive a half ton and have huge RV trailers. They have a Hotshotter move it across country for them. It saves them from having to drive a big truck all year for the few times they move it. That may be an option for you (and me) too.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I will never ever buy another Ford Power Stroke. My last one (6.4) was on its THIRD engine when I finally traded it. Before that I had two of the 6.0s and they were also pieces of shit. I have a Duramax now and that's all I will buy for light duty trucks. Sure, the GM has the worst ride and the worst interior, but the engine/trans is superb.

ETA: My '11 Duramax gets better mpg than my EcoBoost F150s did, with or without a trailer. It's also been more reliable, and is a lot quicker (also with or without a trailer). The only downside is maintenance is a bit more expensive (big oil changes, and DEF fluid). Nevermind that my first EcoBoost truck was in the shop 6 times in the first year.

Last edited:

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Ford didn't need to get bailed out by the .gov even with the crap diesel engines they put out from 2003 to 2010 (6.0 and 6.4). Do not get one of those.

This honestly goes a long way for me, and I'm stoked to hear about those new engines since they had a rough patch!

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Don't believe everything you hear. The new 6.7 is better than the 6.4, but that's not saying much.

Honestly, get the Dodge. They are 100% better than the Dodges of 10 years ago. The interiors are super nice. Plus, you can drive with your tow mirrors flipped up to be super cool.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Don't believe everything you hear. The new 6.7 is better than the 6.4, but that's not saying much.

Honestly, get the Dodge. They are 100% better than the Dodges of 10 years ago. The interiors are super nice. Plus, you can drive with your tow mirrors flipped up to be super cool.
    The 6.7l PowerStroke is a great engine. I ran the 6.0s and a 6.4 and they are terrible. Night and day from the new engine.

I am seeing more and more new Fords in the commercial hauling industry. Professionals are finally seeing them as a true contender (again) in the towing arena.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    It voids the warranty, for starters.

But it gets rid of all the emissions bullshit that chokes an engine and adds 1000 extra parts that can and do fail!

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I've seen a lot of Cat motors on the floor. They make a hell of a tractor motor that'll chug along all day long but $#@!mins has them beat for highway cruising.

If I was rich. I'd buy a Cat backhoe but a semi with a $#@!mins.
    No way... Car is where it's at.
    It will out pull, and out last any Cumapart you got.

I would go with dodge because of the Cummins. Any motor issues you have more options for repair.

GMC over Chevy just cause it's a more upscale look

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Subscribed!

The doges seem to have a problem keeping the front wheels going in the desired direction,Chevy diesels don't seem to last as long as they should and are short on the power department, and some of the ford diesels drink more antifreeze than diesel. We are still hanging on my wife's VW TDI, if the retrofit kill the milage or drivability the car sucks.

I need a 1 ton farm truck NOW, but what do I BUY?
    The front end is a easy fix

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    The perfect combination.
    Ford body: proven tough with lots of interior room.

Cummins engine: it outs everything in this category.

Allison trans: proven tough piece.

They have kits to bring all this together

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Dodge even with the issues I had back in the day with my 2005. If not a Dodge a Ford used F250 with the FX4 package in the oilfield boy will those trucks take ass whooping and keep at it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    The perfect combination.
    Ford body: proven tough with lots of interior room.

Cummins engine: it outs everything in this category.

Allison trans: proven tough piece.

They have kits to bring all this together

I've been saying I want that exact combination for 10 years!

Top Bottom