Texas SOT

After being robbed at gunpoint, while carrying, what can you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Kinda bro. They ask questions. I shot beacuse I was in fear for my life. Anything after that, I respect your questions but I need a attorney present before we continue. THey can no longer ask you anything else. If they have nothing else then he says go home and you MAY get a call from a detective working the case. No need to run out and get a attorney until you have been arrested. Even after that no need until you have been Indited. You can be arrested and never be charged with the crime.

That is not how it works, slick. If you clam up plan on being arrested. You committed a homicide if the guy dies. The only question is one of justification. If the police have PC that you committed that homicide and you do not provide them enough to base a decision of justification, plan on going to jail.

Good Grief.

bagged02

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Granbury, TX "South Ft.Worth"
    That is not how it works, slick. If you clam up plan on being arrested. You committed a homicide if the guy dies. The only question is one of justification. If the police have PC that you committed that homicide and you do not provide them enough to base a decision of justification, plan on going to jail.

Good Grief.

Good Grief mans, Damn im a ass. Never a need to get a attorney UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN INDITED. This is per 2 attorneys I called. They stated, they cant do anything except for file for public record and that just regarding the warrant issue not details of the incident. Pay your attorney upfront, Dont get indicted, See if you get your money back. Once you get that peice of mail stating you have a court date, thats the time to go get a attorney. First thing Ive seen you say on here thats not the brightest idea.

Respect if earned TINV. Someone tells you thanks for input weeks ago and then 2 months ago and you dont respond that means your either self centered or really dont give a rats ass. I choose both options.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    for sure. Both scenrios legal right. Eyes of the law no one will be charged.
    Deadly force to stop theft is not a justification. At night it is, but even then reasonableness is not presumed.

Also, as txinvestigator posted, most people will suffer psychological harm after killing someone. Might not be worth it to do that to yourself over a few bucks. Read On Killing by Grossman.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    And you and I don't get to decide that.

Some of you act like you believe that taking a life is like stepping on a spider. You have no idea.

Nope. But the c@ck sucker that tries to rob someone has just gambled that his own life is worthless.

Tapatalk sent it.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Deadly force to stop theft is not a justification. At night it is, but even then reasonableness is not presumed.

Also, as txinvestigator posted, most people will suffer psychological harm after killing someone. Might not be worth it to do that to yourself over a few bucks. Read On Killing by Grossman.

You're going to be screwed up in the head no matter.

Tapatalk sent it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Good Grief mans, Damn im a ass. Never a need to get a attorney UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN INDITED.
    First of all, the word is indicted.
    This is per 2 attorneys I called. They stated, they cant do anything except for file for public record and that just regarding the warrant issue not details of the incident
    You clearly have no idea about that which you regurgitate. And I am wagering you have not contacted anyone.
    Pay your attorney upfront, Dont get indicted, See if you get your money back.
    OMG, that is so ignorant.
    Once you get that peice of mail stating you have a court date, thats the time to go get a attorney.
    Mail? You mean arrest warrant served by the police. You mean AFTER you have been arrested, posted bail, etc?
    First thing Ive seen you say on here thats not the brightest idea.
    That is laughable.

Respect if earned TINV. Someone tells you thanks for input weeks ago and then 2 months ago and you dont respond that means your either self centered or really dont give a rats ass. I choose both options.

Sucking up gets you nothing, especially you. And I DON"T give a rats ass. First thing you have right since you joined.

I know you have been banned, but you will log in as a guest and read this, so enjoy being corrected, again.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    I am of the opinion that nothing I own is worth taking a life for. However, I can see that if I was robbed at gunpoint, I would probably condider my life to be in immediate danger. The place that I work does not permit firearms on the premisis. Even after I obtain my CHL, this means that I most likely will not have a firearm accessbile if I become the victim of an armed robbery. I am taking courses in personal defense, first learning empty-hand, edged wepon, and "weapon-of-opportunity".
    Having said all that, I'm pretty sure that if I chose to defend myself by sticking my Zebra Pen into my attacker's eye-socket, it would still be a homicide and would (and should) be thoroughly investigated by the police, just as it would if the perp was filled with Ranger T's. The courses that I'm taking also place a lot of emphasis on situational awarenes and avoidance, unknown contact management, de-escalation, and breaking contact to escape. I view these skills as the most important.
    I can see how fleeing the scene would be a sound tactical decision if I had to get away from a perp's friends. However, If I had to do that, I think I would dial 911 as soon as I got to a safe location, tell them what happened, direct them to my location and stay on the line unitl an officer arrived. He would probably find me on my knees with my hands-up, weapons cleared, and my ID in my hand (probably still shaking like a dog pooping razor blades).

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    We are all entitled to our own opinions, right or wrong. That's the beauty of this great nation. I don't care if you don't like it, or don't agree, or think I'm talking smack, but the picture below is pretty much how I feel about the situation.
    STS-2S_90.jpg

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    First of all, the word is indicted. You clearly have no idea about that which you regurgitate. And I am wagering you have not contacted anyone. OMG, that is so ignorant. Mail? You mean arrest warrant served by the police. You mean AFTER you have been arrested, posted bail, etc? That is laughable.

He's banned man. Hopefully forever this time.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    We are all entitled to our own opinions, right or wrong. That's the beauty of this great nation. I don't care if you don't like it, or don't agree, or think I'm talking smack, but the picture below is pretty much how I feel about the situation.
    STS-2S_90.jpg

Back to the OP, I believe the question is about the use of force on a perp while he's trying to break contact. If I've read the thread correctly, It appears that Texas law does allow it in some limited circumstances. The general consensus appears to be that doing so comes at the cost of greater physical risk to the crime victim, will complicate the resulting investigation, and add to the legal bill.

I didn't mean to offend you. Sorry if I did. I share your sentiment when it comes to my home. I like that sign. The only reason I don't have one similar is because I'm afraid to announce to the neighborhood that I think we have something worth stealing.

Top Bottom