• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toki Wartooth

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Leander, TX
    Relatively new to the state and wondering how one goes about becoming a security officer. How is the basic certification handled? Is it something you do before seeking employment, or more commonly provided by the potential employer? Would be working in the Austin area, so any Austin-specific advice regarding training or employment opportunities would be fantastic. Thanks.
    Lynx Defense

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The Texas Department of Public Safety (state police, driver license, CHL, etc.) Private Security Bureau regulates the security industry in Texas. There are two basic categories for security officers;

1) unarmed. Called non-commissioned or level II. A commission is an authorization for a security officer to carry a firearm. Level II is the name of the training that an unarmed security officer needs.

Generally, the company that hires you will give you the level II training. It is only 8 hours. You CAN go to a level III school ( armed guard training ) and get the level II training, but why spend the money of you don't have to?

2) Armed This is level III training and is 30 hours. Level II is also required and usually covered in the level III training. Only a licensed school and licensed instructor can teach this.

You can work unarmed prior to receiving your guard card from the state (there are other rules your company will follow regarding time limits and the order things are done) but you cannot carry a firearm until you receive your commissioned guard card.

See the bureau website here; TxDPS - Private Security Bureau

I am a level III classroom and Firearms instructor, as well as a qualified manager for training schools and guard services. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Toki Wartooth

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Leander, TX
    Thanks to you both for the quick replies! Robin, no, I am not ex-military.

Txinvestigator, thank you that was exactly the information I needed! So it sounds like I can probably recieve level II training from whatever firm hires me. I'm actually interested in the level III training (I enjoy shooting) but as you said, why spend the money if I don't have to. How much does that usually run, by the way? And is the level III training entirely firearms-focused?

Looking to find a nice quiet 3rd (night) shift position somewhere. How's the industry doing anyway? Is there much call for entry-level security personnel?

Thanks again!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Level III classes run from $175 up to $200. 8 hours firearms training. You will cover the laws and rules of the PSB, carry laws, arrest laws, functions and purpose of a security officer, conflict resolution, emergency procedures, professionalism, ethics, radio procedures, use of force, etc.

Lots of entry level positions. Pay runs $9.00 per hour and up to about $12 for unarmed.

Top Bottom