• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Cooley might know military spec stuff, but I can attest that the two groups of contractors I worked with in Africa and South America all had to supply their own ammo and equipment. They did not choose ball or FMJ.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Cooley might know military spec stuff, but I can attest that the two groups of contractors I worked with in Africa and South America all had to supply their own ammo and equipment. They did not choose ball or FMJ.

For those who may think there's a performance difference between HP and ball, i.e. thinking one is "better" than the other:

There's a difference in APPLICATION, same reason I don't use a hammer to paint a wall. In military application, I don't care about over penetration or stopping a particular threat to me, if you're in the general direction of the other end of my muzzle, you're a threat; and the use of HP is banned by the HAGUE Convention on warfare anyway, but that's besides the point. If you manage to walk it off, preferably towards the rear of your lines, that's fine by me. If I take down two enemy targets with one shot, that's fine by me also.

In civilian application, and that does include law enforcement, you're supposed to protect and serve. Protect the innocent, and serve a heaping helping of justice to those who aren't. ;) HP takes down ONE target reliably at the time, while preventing injury through over penetration or ricochets to innocent bystanders. It's not about taking bunches of anonymous enemy soldiers out of service (who presumably are just innocent civilians who happened to get drafted into the other sides army) permanently or temporarily but stopping a singular criminal threat. If I spray an enemy trench, I do it with ball or FMJ, because screw everybody there; if I take down a perp, it's "screw that guy in particular, but don't you hit Granny".

Pronouns I and you used in this post for no particular reason, following no logic.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The US never signed on to The Hague convention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    For those who may think there's a performance difference between HP and ball, i.e. thinking one is "better" than the other:

There's a difference in APPLICATION, same reason I don't use a hammer to paint a wall. In military application, I don't care about over penetration or stopping a particular threat to me, if you're in the general direction of the other end of my muzzle, you're a threat; and the use of HP is banned by the HAGUE Convention on warfare anyway, but that's besides the point. If you manage to walk it off, preferably towards the rear of your lines, that's fine by me. If I take down two enemy targets with one shot, that's fine by me also.

In civilian application, and that does include law enforcement, you're supposed to protect and serve. Protect the innocent, and serve a heaping helping of justice to those who aren't. ;) HP takes down ONE target reliably at the time, while preventing injury through over penetration or ricochets to innocent bystanders. It's not about taking bunches of anonymous enemy soldiers out of service (who presumably are just innocent civilians who happened to get drafted into the other sides army) permanently or temporarily but stopping a singular criminal threat. If I spray an enemy trench, I do it with ball or FMJ, because screw everybody there; if I take down a perp, it's "screw that guy in particular, but don't you hit Granny".

Pronouns I and you used in this post for no particular reason, following no logic.
    Pure bullshit.

The Hague convention is the only reason the military uses ball ammo.

Why do you think the current emphasis is on tumbling and fragmenting bullets? It is so they actually do some damage, not just pass right through a target.

Multiple targets with one bullet. That is funny.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

Yeah, and they used it 'cause the enemy was whacked out on big time drugs! Wait, wait, ................ kinda' like the inner cities here in the states! :green:

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI

Unless you practice without ear protection, on moving targets, that are shooting back at you, my opinion is that you are far more likely to "hit Granny" with a missed shot, FMJ or HP, than you would with a "pass through" shot with FMJ.

Remember, one of the rules of gun safety is to; be sure of your target AND what is beyond your target!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    93531102.jpg

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    OK, I'll add some red meat to the fray . . .

Sometimes I carry a semiauto in .32ACP. When I do, the round in the chamber is a Buffalo Bore +P hardcast Flatnose, along with the top round in the mag. However, due to rim lock issues, I load the rest of the mag with FMJ rounds. I don't see a problem with this for this caliber as I want the maximum penetration when carrying a .32ACP. Hollowpoint and/or Flatnosed rounds can't prevent rim lock from happening in this caliber. And yes, I know that all the caliber geniuses will point out the sheer idiocy of carrying a .32ACP yadda yadda yadda. Well, get over it--sometimes I carry a .32ACP and that's not going to change. Most often, I go major caliber, but there it is.

Have at it . . .

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    All you gotta do is scratch an X on the tip of your ball ammo and it will expand just like any other HP.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Then, rotate the round 45 degrees, scratch another X, and it's a man shredder.

I would never go that far. If you're ever in a SD situation the lawyers will use it to show you intended to kill and you will likely go to jail for murder.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    DFW Area
    I would never go that far. If you're ever in a SD situation the lawyers will use it to show you intended to kill and you will likely go to jail for murder.

Sad part is I can see that happening. I remember reading in a magazine how lawyers wanted to show "intent to kill" by the name of the guns used in SD situations. How "Persuader" "Cobra" or the like were scary sounding and showed you were somehow malicious.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Exactly.

Or modified the gun in some way. Lightened the trigger, added night sights for more lethal shots.

It's all a recipe for prison time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    DFW Area
    Which is BS since you think something like night sights and a weapon light would be preferred. Know what they hell you pointing the damn gun at. I have both on my P226.

Top Bottom