• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Well midway released there coupons again.

60$ off any purchase over 400 = i am buying a LNL ap.

I have a set of RCBS 45 carbide dies. I will buy my consumables locally to start. I just need to find out what loads I want to start with

:)
    ARJ Defense ad

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Agree that the LNL AP is an excellent choice. I got mine in July and had no problems getting up and running. I just had to remember to force the handle up to seat the primer while getting mesmerized by everything that the press was doing. If you forget to seat a primer, you can make a bit of a mess!

I upgraded from the Hornady single stage, which I kept to work up test loads for pistol and future rifle cartridge reloading. The AP is so much better than the single stage for cranking out box after box of pistol ammo!

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Just got the press.

About to go put it together.

Can anyone recommend a good load to start with?

I was thinking using clays powder but not sure.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would start with any middle of the road loads that your manuals recommend (you do have a couple of manuals right?). Then go from there, depending on what you are shooting for. Full speed is usually not the most accurate load in my experience. I keep Unique around for all of my plinking loads. It is very versatile, and fills the case up so it is almost impossible to double charge a case. 2400 or Bullseye are the better choices for maximum velocity loads, but you really have to keep your eye on the charge, as these powders will leave extra room in the case.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I have about three manuals (including my dads old one from about 20 years ago!).

I will be loading 45 acp to start with.

Tom I will be getting a#45 shell plate (Hornady decided not to ship my the shell plate), RCBS lock out die, some and whatever bullets, brass, powders, and primers i need.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    So far I think this lnl ap is a giant piece of crap.

First they short shipped the #1 plate
    Second the rifle powder measure is broken (the quick release bolt has come out)
    Third the whole unit is not even indexing correctly. It is short rotating about 1/32 or 1/16 of a turn every time.

So far this thing is a joke. I understand some other problems I have encountered are my fault but these problems are clearly caused by bad design or manufacturing. THis thing better be great when I finally get it built and working.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The rotation is adjustable. It needs to be adjusted as it wears and/ or breaks in. The allen screws on the bottom of the ram where they meet the star wheel can be turned in or out, one for the up stroke, one for the down stroke. The biggest problem I had with my LNL was the primer station. Everything was machined too tight, one little piece of dirt or grain of powder and it would lock up. My Dremel fixed that. Also, everything that is bare metal will rust if you do not keep it inside. I did alot of painting on mine to prevent this. I don't think they were made to keep in the garage.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    so finally got it set up.

Ran about 10 rounds through it.

I can tell where the bullet stops in the casing. The light is bending differently on there but the width is measuring the same. I can not tell if there is something with the case or just the way the light is bending.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    here is a picture of a round
    If you see about a 1/4 way done there is band that of discoloration and that is what i am talking about.

bullet2.jpg

It is measuring .470 +- .001 throughout the case but it just doesnt look right. I can cycle the rounds through an HK45 no problem.

How do i fix this?

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Well I think I got everything set finally. I ran a batch of 50 that are going to the range Tom.
    some things i learned
    When running all 5 stations you need a sturdy bench
    It takes a bit of pressure To get the primer set

I still want to buy a
    Caseffeder
    Lock out die
    Dillon low primer warning

Thanks for all the help guys

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    well I bad day at the range.

First shot when out no problem. Second one jammed in the barrel...

I got it out already. Didi not see any damage to the barrel. RM said the most likely cause was not enough powder :(

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have mine set up to visually check for powder each time I cycle it. I also use a Hornady Powder Cop to check each one also.

The ring on your loaded round is from the bullet getting forced into the case while seating it. This is normal.

Your expanding die should open up the case just enough to get the bullet started and that is all. Any more and you are overworking the brass. Any less and the case will peel some of the bullet off when you seat it, or crush the case. Then just crimp enough to push the case back tight to the bullet, you don't need any more crimp than that.

Top Bottom