DK Firearms

A word of warning to those plan on bugging out if SHTF.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I live on the edge of my city think I could get just have to consider alternate roads like bar ditches do a little a bushwhacking if the need but I'm working on this as my daily driver currently.

a6y6asaz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    ...and knives. Knives never run out of bullets and you can guarantee the penetration by just pushing harder.

I think a lot of people around here really don't give the knife the props it deserves.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    ...and knives. Knives never run out of bullets and you can guarantee the penetration by just pushing harder.

I think a lot of people around here really don't give the knife the props it deserves.
    Knives are GREAT, in fact I have the knife I carried in Vietnam in '67. You just cannot forget the first rule, which is never take a knife to a gun gun fight...

SOTB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Plano
    To the OP's first post, ignoring whether rucking out on foot is a good idea or not, getting the hang of rucking isn't that difficult. In fact IMO, rucking is easier to practice and do than running. I have knees beaten up by silly stuff while in the Corps and in civvie life to include parachute and paraglider landings, and after all this time I find rucking to be something I can do without being prone to injury -- I can't always say the same for running.

IMO the key is to simply set a realistic ruck weight goal and ruck distance/speed. In my case, I can still knock out sub-15 min miles with a 51lb ruck (I use an ALICE-pack lg w/frame and chest/waist straps). But you won't likely get there overnight, unless you are already in good shape and have good footwear. I usually ruck 2-3 X per week, 4 mi per session (I don't have time for the longer rucks), and the N Dallas heat/sun has zero effect. This isn't because I'm a stud (I'm pushing 50 and easily 10-15 lb overweight), just that I practice consistently.

For SHTF scenarios, I prefer to stay in, and if that isn't an option -- then I have a place already set up to go to. Food, LOTS of water, accomodations, etc. But the plan is to drive there, or fire the families off early on, and myself and/or another coming up later if the primary residences are simply no longer possible to stay at. Even then, I would prefer to drive as far as possible, but realize a different mode of transport might be necessary. In my case, its 150 mi. That isn't going to be an easy walk (I don't think walking down the interstate is a viable option). And it is almost ridiculous to consider attempting with my family -- who doesn't have the conditioning or mindset necessary for the movement.

For sure, if you think a long walk might be in your bug-out plans, it pays to take a look at that now, versus at the moment you are going to need doing it....

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    If you are knocking out sub 15 min miles with a 50 lb ruck you are in UNBELIEVABLE shape. Who knows what std the military works to today, but in the 1/9th Inf (Manchu) on the DMZ, Korea it was 15 mi, 3 hrs, winter ruck, all LBE, 2 canteens, weapon, basic load, combat ready by the book...EVERY Sat am 0430.

I lost 90 lbs that year and I was military fit when I arrived in country. I weighed 207 lb when I left for Vietnam, came back at 131 lbs, but our rucks avg 150 lb +/-.

My training ruck is ruck + 40 lbs of sand, bladder canteen, 5 mi circuit, 21/2 at just under 15 mi per mile, last 2 1/2 doing the airborne shuffle, which is just right at a double time, which gets me into 10 min per mi terrority, 3x per week. At that level you cannot eat enough to gain weight. Docs told us we burn between 8000 and 10,000 cals a day, I could never eat enough and the I struggled to keep my weight in the 140's on my 6' 2" frame..

Yea, I am Infantry I know what it takes to haul the ruck and with 875 soldiers, not a single one was even close to overweight

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    If you are knocking out sub 15 min miles with a 50 lb ruck you are in UNBELIEVABLE shape. Who knows what std the military works to today, but in the 1/9th Inf (Manchu) on the DMZ, Korea it was 15 mi, 3 hrs, winter ruck, all LBE, 2 canteens, weapon, basic load, combat ready by the book...EVERY Sat am 0430.

I lost 90 lbs that year and I was military fit when I arrived in country. I weighed 207 lb when I left for Vietnam, came back at 131 lbs, but our rucks avg 150 lb +/-.

My training ruck is ruck + 40 lbs of sand, bladder canteen, 5 mi circuit, 21/2 at just under 15 mi per mile, last 2 1/2 doing the airborne shuffle, which is just right at a double time, which gets me into 10 min per mi terrority, 3x per week. At that level you cannot eat enough to gain weight. Docs told us we burn between 8000 and 10,000 cals a day, I could never eat enough and the I struggled to keep my weight in the 140's on my 6' 2" frame..

Yea, I am Infantry I know what it takes to haul the ruck and with 875 soldiers, not a single one was even close to overweight

Wow. My lowest weight in college was 155, and I was in 29" jeans. I'm 5'11" You must have looked like you hiked from Auschwitz.

Last edited:

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    if your cardio fitness level is running from the couch to the freezer for more ice cream - eating carbs 30 minutes before a hike in the sun is a really bad idea

protein/sugar is actually better.....nuts, energy bar, trail mix, etc

im not sure if the SH*T hits the fan for real that you'll have time to prepare a carb loaded meal 30 minutes in advance

in a real world scenario - your adrenaline and survival instincts are hopefully going to provide you with a bit better endurance

in the mean time - take up some form of regular cardio fitness - you'll feel tons better even if sh&T never does hit the fan

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Wow. My lowest weight in college was 155, and I was in 29" jeans. I'm 5'11" You must have looked like you hiked from Auschwitz.
    When I came back from Korea my wife did not recognize me when I stepped off the plane, my parents did not recognize me when I got off the plane from Vietnam.

Combat load on the last study I saw (Iraq 2010) is 159 lbs average, depends upon unit SOP for carry load list. Bottom line is most carry around their body weight. Some guys more, some less. Of that I can tell you I carried less than 5 lbs of personal gear, the rest is combat loading. Its brutal I guess, too young to really know. The Army does say that we carry no more than 20% of body weight, but I am convinced they state that to keep from having to pay disablity to Infantry guys. Many are royally mucked up in the back, shoulders, hips, knees, ankles...by the grace of God and good genes I made it thru in not too bad of shape.

AND they think WOMEN can be Infantry?

Top Bottom