DK Firearms

A real knife attack is likely to look like this...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I posted that here a while back.

All those BS disarm techniques are absolutely useless, especially if you run into someone that actually knows how to use a knife.

One of my friends actually demonstrated that basic technique to me last year, and try as I might, I couldn't find a way to defend against it. I still can't think of one (besides somehow teleporting 300 yards out and picking up a rifle), and that bugs me.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Sorry for the repost...
    I don't think the knifer needs to know how to use a knife. It's all primal aggression, at that point.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sorry for the repost...
    I don't think the knifer needs to know how to use a knife. It's all primal aggression, at that point.

That's the trick to knowing how to use it, though. We've been ruined by movies and BS instructors, and now the idea is to lead with the knife. That's the one situation where a disarm will actually work (WARNING: If the knife is sharp at all, you are going to bleed.) Too many people buy into stuff like an "ice pick" grip that does nothing but shorten your reach, limit you to mostly slashing (not terribly effective) and the few stabbing attacks open are very slow and can only come from a few angles. People wind up trying to fence with the knife or some stupid crap like that, where they ignore their empty hand. The empty hand is what you use to get your opening to attack, and the knife should always stay close to the body.

You can see how the guy in the video uses his empty hand to help take control of his victim's movement. At that point, it's pretty much over. But if someone is actually going to try putting up a fight, the empty hand goes to the eyes (they're going to defend, period) and a half beat later, about the time the hand comes back, the knife goes into their belly. Rinse, repeat.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    "The right to carry a bowie-knife for lawful defense is secured, and must be admitted. It is an exceeding destructive weapon. It is difficult to defend against it, by any degree of bravery, or any amount of skill. The gun or pistol may miss its aim, and when discharged, its dangerous character is lost, or diminished at least. The sword may be parried. With thse weapons men fight for the sake of the combat, to satisfy the laws of honor, not necessarily with the intention to kill, or with a certainty of killing, when the intention exists. The bowie-knife differs from these in its device and design; it is the instrument of almost certain death. He who carries such a weapon, for lawful defense, as he may, makes himself more dangerous to the rights of others, considering the frailties of human nature, than if he carried a less dangerous weapon."
    Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394 (1859)

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    As tacticool and prepared as many here like to think they are... a surprise attack would likely take most of us out. Like it or not. It's the best way to win a battle.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    A long time ago, I went through one of Harris County's first Citizens Police Academy classes. One night they put me on that firearm simulator, I had my gun at low ready, I knew I had a 50/50 chance of needing to shoot the guy, SOB rolled off a bench, ran 21 feet and stabbed my 'partner.' I stood there in shock. You would have never in your life convinced me it was possible. The Sgt. runnin' the thing came over to me, put his arm around me and said, "It's OK, easy mistake, let's go tell his wife and kids you choked."

Ever since then, I have one rule ; get some space.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    21', at low ready, and already in Condition Red...

I'd, easily, double that distance for any of us walking around in Condition Yellow and fully concealed.

AGreenSmudge

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    DFW
    I'm glad the folks around here get this.

Pretty much everyone on all the other gun forums will never concede that a knife may in fact trump a gun, most of them don't even think knives are dangerous. I've stupidly had debates with many of them.

My girlfriend and some of her other friends have a fair amount of training in Dan Inosanto's tactics and have shown me what can be done with them. Based on that I for one think that within a reasonable striking distance (like what we've seen in the vids here)that they're far more dangerous than guns. A gun may penetrate further, but you have to be fast enough and accurate enough to get it pointed at them in the first place and even then it only shoots so many rounds. I also don't think they need quite the same level of proficiency training either.

That's not to say that guns are inferior to them in the least though. Just that far too many people don't understand that "never bring a knife to a gunfight" isn't nearly as true as all the action movies, books and tactics schools want them to believe.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    "The right to carry a bowie-knife for lawful defense is secured, and must be admitted. It is an exceeding destructive weapon. It is difficult to defend against it, by any degree of bravery, or any amount of skill. The gun or pistol may miss its aim, and when discharged, its dangerous character is lost, or diminished at least. The sword may be parried. With thse weapons men fight for the sake of the combat, to satisfy the laws of honor, not necessarily with the intention to kill, or with a certainty of killing, when the intention exists. The bowie-knife differs from these in its device and design; it is the instrument of almost certain death. He who carries such a weapon, for lawful defense, as he may, makes himself more dangerous to the rights of others, considering the frailties of human nature, than if he carried a less dangerous weapon." Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394 (1859)

Show that to a liberal and they would call you crazy.

Top Bottom