• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lmao_37

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    levelland
    Hi iam pretty new gun owner (1 year) an i have just brought a mosin nagent rifle iam going to use for hunting and i havnt really found a consistant supply of hunting ammo, there seems to be a bunch with different weight rounds from 150 grains through to 203 grains but what iam wanting is a cheap good supply that is reloadable also the russian stuff is cheap but it has corrosive primers and it will take some time to deal with a hog then clean the rifle so iam looking at loading my own, what are the best options for learning to reload ?
    ARJ Defense ad

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    You will need a reloading manual and they are sold as part of a kit.
    You can get complete reloading kits from rcbs, lee and others that will show you step by step.
    I believe the 7.62-54R shoots a .303 cal bullet and not the more common .308 cal. You might check that aspect out before buying.

Also an entry level Remington rifle is just a bit more than a loader, bench and stuff you need.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    You will need a reloading manual and they are sold as part of a kit.
    You can get complete reloading kits from rcbs, lee and others that will show you step by step.
    I believe the 7.62-54R shoots a .303 cal bullet and not the more common .308 cal. You might check that aspect out before buying.

Also an entry level Remington rifle is just a bit more than a loader, bench and stuff you need.

You're correct on the bullet. There are bullets available that vary from .310 - .312 depending on the manufacture. If he is able to slug his barrel he can pick one thats the best match so far as diameter.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    The best way to get into reloading is to buy a reloading manual from one of the leading companies. I use a Sierra manual as well as a Speer manual. I also have a Winchester pamphlet as an additional reference since I use Winchester powders. I cross reference between the manuals to see what difference they might show. In the front of most manuals there is a tutorial section taking you step by step through the reloading process. It will explain how and way each step is important. By reading and rereading these manuals you can get the basics down. Once you learn the process, the manuals become a great source reference material. I refer back to my manuals for more than just the loads. The second half of the manuals give you load data the company has generated.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Get a reloading manual and read it, research different manufacturer's presses and decide how you want to go, (single stage; turret; progressive); look at the YouTube videos to see the presses in operation (there are some really good and informative ones made by professionals and then there are some that are not), read the book again, visualize what you are going to do and how you are going to do it and then just do it.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    A very good starting book is The ABC's of Reloading. It can be bought at most better bookstores, Amazon.com, or just about any sporting goods store (Cabela's etc) or online from Midway, etc. Read it front to back, then read it again, and 98% of your questions will have been answered.

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    KR Training sometimes holds a beginner reloading class out in Manheim, east of Bastrop. I don't know if he has any scheduled this year yet.

Top Bottom