• ...and so much more!
  • The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Looks like I have a hog coming up next month. My 6.8 spc may not be built in time and my next alternative will be my Saiga in the standard AK round. I would assume the round will be fine, but never really thought about it and just looking for some reassurance...

Ammo I have is soft points, FMJ, or I could get some of the Hornady V-Max steel cased ammo as well..
    ARJ Defense ad

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I had thought about using a mosin nagant. 7.62X54R. Was told it would be OK, but might be overkill....... I would guess then, that 7.62X39 would be fine.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Nice, thanks for the quick info guys. Another question maybe you can answer, According to the TDWP no License is needed to hunt hogs, and I have 2 guys coming in from out of state, is that still the case for them? Or do they need to buy one of those special 5 day non-resident licenses?

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Nice, thanks for the quick info guys. Another question maybe you can answer, According to the TDWP no License is needed to hunt hogs, and I have 2 guys coming in from out of state, is that still the case for them? Or do they need to buy one of those special 5 day non-resident licenses?

You might want to re-read the part about no license. That is for pest control / habitat control. Hunting them still requires a license.

Feral hogs are unprotected, exotic, non-game animals. Therefore, they may be taken by any means or methods at any time of year. There are no seasons or bag limits, however a hunting license and landowner permission are required to hunt them.
    5th paragraph from here TPWD: Feral Hogs

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    You might want to re-read the part about no license. That is for pest control / habitat control. Hunting them still requires a license.

Feral hogs are unprotected, exotic, non-game animals. Therefore, they may be taken by any means or methods at any time of year. There are no seasons or bag limits, however a hunting license and landowner permission are required to hunt them.

Yeah, I see the difference, I think ultimately it would be hard to say in court that you aren't paying the land owner to help clean up his "problem"...we'll do it however this guy wants us to do it, but the $48 hunting license for the 5 day special hunt seems like BS to me...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    V-Max is varmint ammo, it fragments easily and dramatically, and doesn't penetrate very deep. Not good hog ammo. Soft point or FMJ (if it's legal to hunt hogs with in TX) for hogs.

brocknchrist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    south texas
    All the hog hunters I know use dogs and carry 22 revolvers... Magnum or regular... I know one out of about 6 that carries a 30-30 as back up... But still pulls the 22 first...

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doesn't work, Load, Aim and Fire. (repeat as necessary)

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX

good thing I read your post and link..... even thou I have my license, i thought no license was required to hunt hogs....
    TPWD: Hunting General Information

according to this link I posted, no license is required to hunt depradating hogs... the key word is depradating..to protect your farm or ranch from damage.....
    other wise.... a license is required..

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    good thing I read your post and link..... even thou I have my license, i thought no license was required to hunt hogs....
    TPWD: Hunting General Information

according to this link I posted, no license is required to hunt depradating hogs... the key word is depradating..to protect your farm or ranch from damage.....
    other wise.... a license is required..

To protect property from them, right? Pretty sure it doesn't have to be your property.

brocknchrist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    south texas
    If you have the land owners permission its the same thing as being your own land... But double check that one with a game warden... But on the sensible side, SHOOT EM ALL!!!!

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doesn't work, Load, Aim and Fire. (repeat as necessary)

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    All the hog hunters I know use dogs and carry 22 revolvers... Magnum or regular... I know one out of about 6 that carries a 30-30 as back up... But still pulls the 22 first...

Once a dog has them pinned down and they walk up on it....yes a .22 will work. Hitting a running hog 50 yards away with a .22 wont do much.

mage2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    south of texas capitol
    To the OP,
    The problem you are in is that its going to depend on the game wardens judgment. Personally its better to have the license and not have the possibility of the game warden/courts not go in your favor. <$60 cost vs the battle if the warden deems your group hunting without a license. Not worth the risk in my humble opinion.

7.62x39 is fine for piggies.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom