• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I am trying to find a rifle for the 6.5 creedmoor, but I can't find any bolt action rifles chambered for the cartridge so I was wondering if you could use a rifle chambered in the 308 but change the barrel for a 6.5 but still use the action made for the 308
    Guns International

Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I don't know I'm planning on getting the ar platform too, but I was thinking of getting a bolt action so all I had to do to use a couple different calibers in the same rifle is change the barrel. So I was thinking of starting with a rem 700 in .308 and then have a couple different barrels for calibers like the 6.5X47 lapua and the 6.5 creedmoor. Also what other calibers have the same size case head as the .308.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I don't know I'm planning on getting the ar platform too, but I was thinking of getting a bolt action so all I had to do to use a couple different calibers in the same rifle is change the barrel. So I was thinking of starting with a rem 700 in .308 and then have a couple different barrels for calibers like the 6.5X47 lapua and the 6.5 creedmoor. Also what other calibers have the same size case head as the .308.

Savage 10 beats Remington 700 in barrel changes hands down. Neither one will be a change you want to do often though, it's going to require proper headspacing everytime you loosen the barrel nut. If you want a changeable platform, I'd go with an AR.

Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Savage 10 beats Remington 700 in barrel changes hands down. Neither one will be a change you want to do often though, it's going to require proper headspacing everytime you loosen the barrel nut. If you want a changeable platform, I'd go with an AR.

So then if I got an ar wouldn't I have toworry about headspacing too. Is headspacing not taken care of in the chamber?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    So then if I got an ar wouldn't I have toworry about headspacing too. Is headspacing not taken care of in the chamber?

An AR’s bolt locks into the barrel extension, headspace is determined by the chamber. If your chamber and bolt are in spec (it's pretty hard to find ones that aren't) then your headspace will be within an acceptable range. With a bolt action, the bolt locks into the front portion of the receiver. Headspace is set by how far the barrel is threaded into the receiver, then usually finish chambered by a competent gunsmith. In most cases with a bolt action, you’d be much better off buying a separate rifle for each caliber.

Top Bottom