• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    500 miles, thats easy. TR is spot on. I ride everyday, the only things I would add are ear plugs and potty every time you get gas. ATGATT All The Gear All The Time.

Enjoy the trip

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Just a question for all you guys claiming this is easy. How far have you ridden a 750 Shadow? This isn't a liter bike or even a very large bike.

Txpitdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Htown
    Just a question for all you guys claiming this is easy. How far have you ridden a 750 Shadow? This isn't a liter bike or even a very large bike.

Cruising at 55 is cruising at 55. Maybe if you had it all wound up at 65 on a 650, it might be a little more exhaustive, but every ride I ever did on my '01 RoadStar my buddy also did on a 750cc 2000 Honda Magna. Cc's are less important than your willingness to take a shot at it.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Double post somehow.

ETA:
    Cruising at 55 is cruising at 55. Maybe if you had it all wound up at 65 on a 650, it might be a little more exhaustive, but every ride I ever did on my '01 RoadStar my buddy also did on a 750cc 2000 Honda Magna. Cc's are less important than your willingness to take a shot at it.

It isn't really the CC's as much as it is the ride quality. I've owned a 750 Shadow and speak from experience. That's all.

Last edited:

Flat Lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Sundown
    I've ridden 400 miles on several occasions on my Honda 1100 from fort worth to lubbock. It is a long ride and your backside hurts for a while. My suggestion is just take the back roads, enjoy the scenery, take breaks and make a day of it.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

never. The bike is way too small. I ride a Valkyrie.

valkyrie-1.jpg

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    The Honda Magna has much more oomph than a 750 Honda Shadow's V twin.. The V45's performance is comparable to that of Valkyries and Honda's 1800 cc V-twin cruisers

Honda Magna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Txpitdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Htown
    The Honda Magna has much more oomph than a 750 Honda Shadow's V twin.. The V45's performance is comparable to that of Valkyries and Honda's 1800 cc V-twin cruisers

Honda Magna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But like I said, 55 is 55. 60 is 60. It's not until you're trying to keep up with I-35 that fatigue should really set in. In '97 I did from New Orleans to Little Rock on an '81 ironhead Sportster that pissed oil the entire way. HP is part of it, but it's a little part. Just get on and go.. Like fishing, you don't learn anything sitting on your butt at home. Do it. Enjoy it. Report on it when you cruise on into home amazed at what an awesome journey it turned out to be..

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Well, thanks for all of the suggestions, tips and advice, and the very generous offer from TRN. I picked up the bike in Keller and rode it 80 miles to my folks home where my wife, whose car we took to Keller, and I spent the night. It took nearly two hours since I had to avoid weather and go through some city traffic.

My ass was killing me. Sharp pain when standing or getting off, and numbness when on. That is really all that bothered me. The bike has a Mustang seat, but it just does not seem made for long distance. I felt fine other than that. The bike is a 5 speed, and at 70 I really wanted to shift one more time, lol. With the 19" windscreen wind was no problem.

I decided to store it in my dad's garage until I get more gear and can dedicate a day. The 6 1/2 hour trip will easily be 8 hours. My wife told me that following me she was waaaay nervous with the way cagers drive around me. She was not happy about me riding it down. I will fly up and ride it back when I can make a day of it, stop and shops and stores, sight see some, etc. Give my butt a chance.

I am a actually looking forward to it. Maybe some of you would want to do parts with me. :)

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    It takes some time to toughen up your backside. The Mustang seat is probably better than the stock Honda seat. I have a Corbin on my ST1300 and it's good for 1000 mile days went the weather isn't hotter than hell. Olympia makes some pretty good riding gear. I like their mesh. Cotton is not your friend when it is hot and that includes skivvies.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I see a bunch of bike snobs here. TI is making a one time 500 mile run so he can keep the bike. Don't turn it into 'that was a poor choice for a tourer'.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I see a bunch of bike snobs here. TI is making a one time 500 mile run so he can keep the bike. Don't turn it into 'that was a poor choice for a tourer'.

I don't take it that way. I actually mentioned the seat.

Just from my short run I can tell you cotton absorbs moisture and sticks. My boxer briefs were getting sticky; not comfortable.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    some of the best advice I ever received when I started to ride long distance was very sound.....know your limitations and listen to em. When you are tired, your tired...take a break or stop and rest. Continue on the next day when you are fresh and have a clear & rested mind.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Bud - don't try to do it in a day. You ain't ready for it, and doin' so won't be a Good Thing. Plan on overnighting - here or elsewhere - and make it a 2-day trip. Fatigue IS a factor to be reckoned with!

One other thing - find yourself a gel pad or a wool drivers pad (sheepskin) an' toss it on the saddle. It WILL make a difference.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    You were getting the dreaded butt burn. The best solution I have found is getting as much air between your butt and the seat as possible. I use a modified beaded seat strapped down to cover the Mustang seat I have. It lets it tons of air so that your butt doesn't sweat. When our butt sweat;s you become one with your undies and jeans which is why your butt burns.

Top Bottom