• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    I have a Chiappa upper. I originally had doubts about the plastic upper, but it ran like a train with a variety of mags and ammo, and is accurate.
    $300 buys one. Add one of the $120 plastic complete lowers and you have a superlight .22 AR for under $450.
    Texas SOT

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had Compass Lake build my .22LR upper with a unique design. Most .22 adapters put the .22 slug through a 1:7 to 1:9 twist barrel. The .22 needs a 1:16 twist for maximum accuracy.

Compass Lake takes the military M-261 .22 adapter, cuts the forward end of it off (it looks like a .223 cartridge) then butts the M-261 adapter bolt up to a Douglas Match barrel with 1:16 twist. The rifle is scary accurate and shoots so well that I got a dedicated AR-15 lower for it.

I like the appearance the best. The M-261 adapter magazines fit down into a standard AR-15 magazine and you can't tell it's a .22 until you pull the charging handle (it's a short stroke) or open the ejection port door as the bolt looks different. I even had a flash hider installed on the muzzle end and it looks exactly like an AR-15!

Edit....Notice the green tape on the magazine? That's so I can identify the M-261 equipped magazines and won't pick up an AR-15 mag by mistake. With the ejection port closed, you can't tell if from an A-2 AR-15 in weight or appearance.

The cost for the upper? $1000. It's worth every dime!

Flash

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm also interested in a "cheap" 22lr upper such as the CCMG's but reading reviews leaves me with mixed feelings, especially the plastic charging handle. The spikes is nice but it's got the ramp front and I"m looking for a flat top. Any other suggestions under $400 (hopefully $350) for a 22lr upper?

A cheap charging handle is like $15. If it breaks, buy a normal one.

PS: Flash, thats a nice gun.

Top Bottom