• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    I got a couple of the cheap palmetto state lowers and was looking to turn one into a ar .22
    Who makes good .22 uppers? All i've really found is cmmg
    Lynx Defense

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Mine is a Tactical Solutions, but Spikes also makes them.

AR22 .22LR Conversion | Tactical Solutions

ST-22 Parts : Spikes Tactical

I've been completely satisfied with mine (it lives on a Rock River lower):

TSRRM4A3vfgl.gif

TRM422.gif

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    thanks, though just as i thought based on the prices of uppers its cheaper to buy a prebuilt M&p 22

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    The S&W M&P 15-22 is a nice rifle, though it is much lighter than a standard AR (not necessarily a bad thing).

SWMP1522PAM3.gif

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I built one using a CMMG barrel and CMMG bolt carrier kit. This was my first upper build all on my own and once I worked out the kinks its running great!

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I use a CMMG dedicated upper and have allot of fun with it. I have a spare CMMG stainless conversion I keep around for some of my buddies that are just getting into the AR thing.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    those cmmg uppers really look like the way to go, about on par with a 5.56 upper price wise, but i could swap uppers around this way rather than a dedicated 22.

are these picky about ammo?

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    I think the CMMG uppers are a little better than the 5.56 uppers price-wise. At least I can't find a decent 5.56 upper for $369.00.

Joat

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    ive started thinking, i've got a cmmg 5.56 carbine upper im looking to upgrade to a better one like a spikes.
    Instead of putting that one aside or selling it i might as well just spend 200 on a 22 adapter kit and make it a dedicated 22 upper.

Or is there an advantage to buying an actual 22 upper?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I am currently in the process of building a dedicated .22LR upper from scratch.

Got a deal on a Colt upper.
    Buddy is trading me a CMMG stainless conversion kit for some stuff.
    Will buy the dedicated .22LR barrel and some misc. parts after that.
    Got a bunch of extra parts from other builds I will finish it out with.

Might be cheaper to get it another way, but I am getting it exactly how I want it, and am enjoying the journey.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    ive started thinking, i've got a cmmg 5.56 carbine upper im looking to upgrade to a better one like a spikes.
    Instead of putting that one aside or selling it i might as well just spend 200 on a 22 adapter kit and make it a dedicated 22 upper.

Or is there an advantage to buying an actual 22 upper?

Dedicated means the correct twist rate for .22LR ammo, as well as a chamber that is part of the barrel, rather than part of the conversion BCG.

Generally it means much better accuracy.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Dedicated means the correct twist rate for .22LR ammo, as well as a chamber that is part of the barrel, rather than part of the conversion BCG.

Generally it means much better accuracy.

And ultimately I think better reliability too. I have about 150 rounds through my dedicated 22lr upper and didn't have issue one. When I was using the conversion kit I would always have 1 or 2 issues everytime shooting...

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    looking to pull the trigger soon on one of the uppers and i found 2 different cmmg low profile uppers and i'm not real sure if theres enough difference to justify the price (main thing i saw was handgaurd, but ive got an moe i can use).... i'll add links to midway since its the only place i saw both listed.

AR-15 Sierra A3 Flat-Top Upper Assembly 22 Long Rifle 1 16 Twist 16 Barrel WASP Melonite Finished Chrome Moly Matte M4 Handguard Flash Hider Pre-Ban

AR-15 M4 LEP A3 Flat-Top Upper Assembly 22 Long Rifle 1 16 Twist 16 Barrel WASP Melonite Finished Chrome Moly Matte Revolution Handguard Single Rail Gas Block Flash Hider Pre-Ban

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    I bought the CMMG upper directly from them and have loved it. IIRC the complete gun was around $610 or so but didn't want their furniture so bought a lower from AIM and all the MagPul furniture from Palmetto State. Think I have about $625 in the gun. Blackdog Machine had mags (marked Model 1 sales and Brownells) for $10 dollars. Trigger group to Bill Springfield for a $44 4 lb trigger and the gun runs just like my S&W M&P 15. Weight is about the same as the AR and gun is pretty accurate with CCI AR22 ammo; doesn't seem to like my normal Wally World Fed Bulk though. This lower will eventually share time with a 300 Blackout upper.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    still not sure what the real difference is between the sierra line and the LEP upper other than the rail.
    I suppose in the end they will shoot the same.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I'm also interested in a "cheap" 22lr upper such as the CCMG's but reading reviews leaves me with mixed feelings, especially the plastic charging handle. The spikes is nice but it's got the ramp front and I"m looking for a flat top. Any other suggestions under $400 (hopefully $350) for a 22lr upper?

Top Bottom