• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I decided to invest in a Smart Watch. A trip to Best Buy for another reason, and I became interested. I had heard of them but wasn't sure what all they would do. I went home and spent an afternoon researching those devices. My phone is a Samsung S4. I looked at the following brands; Samsung Gear, and Samsung Gear Live (uses android system rather than Samsung system), Pebble, Motorola 360 and Martian.

I chose the Samsung Gear 2 Neo.

It uses bluetooth to connect to the phone. The Gear store has a lot of apps, both free and for a small charge. The watch uses a standard 18mm band, and it is replaceable. I have the charcoal black one. It is nice enough to wear with business, evening and casual wear. The phone has one hard button on it. It turns the screen on and off. It is also programmable where a double press will open any app.

It also has an Ir transmitter to go along with the remote control app. There are pages of watch faces to choose from. Digital, analog, combos, and interesting and unique ones. (like a "binary" watch) It syncs your contacts, and with touch or voice command will call out. When you receive incoming calls you can answer on the watch and use as a speaker phone, or reject the call. Of course, if you want a private conversation you can whip out your phone. The advantage for me is that I can choose to speak to without having to dig out the phone to see who is calling. It has a call log as well.

There is a notification app that will show you notifications for whatever apps you set. Of course, my schedule, calendar, etc are on the watch as well. It has fitness apps; like a heart rate monitor, exercise tracker, pedometer, etc. It also has a built in music player, voice notes, etc.

When I receive texts I can select from preset responses, and I downloaded an app with a keyboard with predictive technology so I can give specific answers. I use it for short replies. Of course, for a reply of any length, I whip out the phone.

I have a weather app with radar on it. I can put a GPS on it. I can control the shutter on my cell phone camera with it. I am still exploring things on it.

I was a little worried it would end up being a gimmick, but I find it very useful.
    Gun Zone Deals

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    When I receive texts I can select from preset responses, and I downloaded an app with a keyboard with predictive technology so I can give specific answers. I use it for short replies. Of course, for a reply of any length, I whip out the phone.
    Doesn't it let you talk to text replies?

I'm looking forward to the watch replacing the phone all together.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Thanks for the info. This thread needs pics, tho... Is this the one you got? I really like the 80's cheap digital watch style face for it :laughing:

Clocki-Watch-face-for-Gear-2.png

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    X2 on the pics. I'm curious to see how big the notifications or text is. Is it something you would need reading glasses to read or is the text large enough to be useful?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    X2 on the pics. I'm curious to see how big the notifications or text is. Is it something you would need reading glasses to read or is the text large enough to be useful?

You can change the text size. I wear monocular vision contacts, so I don't notice any problem. It's like always wearing a reading glass over one eye...

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    You can change the text size. I wear monocular vision contacts, so I don't notice any problem. It's like always wearing a reading glass over one eye...

Interesting. Which eye? Dominant or weak for the reading vision?

Contacts don't work for me due to some dusty conditions at work. Would still love to see any pictures you care to share though.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You could not but new Palm Pilots in 2007. Could you. Palm merged with Handspring by 2007 and the Palm Smartphone was out.

A better comparison to the Palm would be the Newton, no?

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Possible semantic difference in word choice. I had a Palm-something-or-other. My point was, everybody thought they knew what a phone was for until Apple showed the world. I'm wondering if that is about to happen again, with watches.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Possible semantic different in word choice. I had a Palm-something-or-other. My point was, everybody thought they knew what a phone was for until Apple showed the world. I'm wondering if that is about to happen again, with watches.

The iPhone was positively the best melding of the traditional phone with a PDA.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I enjoy my Gear 2 Neo as well. They also have one with a built-in camera for taking pics/videos and for video chat on your watch. It came out about a week after I bought mine.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Yeah, but those old one's weren't very safe with all the sparks coming out of them.

I guess I can see sparks, but never thought of it that way until you mentioned it. Guess that just reinforces the generation gap thing.

Didn't they use Dick Tracey for the first ad campaign for those Samsung watches?

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall something like that too. An internet search shows a commercial that mentions Dick Tracy, along with a whole list of other shows and their watch. From Tracy up to the Power Rangers, so it covers several decades.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I guess I can see sparks, but never thought of it that way until you mentioned it. Guess that just reinforces the generation gap thing.

Now that you mention it, I seem to recall something like that too. An internet search shows a commercial that mentions Dick Tracy, along with a whole list of other shows and their watch. From Tracy up to the Power Rangers, so it covers several decades.

Samsung Galaxy Gear: Best Commercials - YouTube

Yup that's the one.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    These watches are really getting my attention. I wonder if I could pair my phone and watch with google glass, and connect it all together..

Top Bottom