• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    The 2 I like the best are Mili-tec & Weapons Shield, both great products, a little on the pricey side, but with both of those products a little goes a long way.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    On 1911's I use Mili-tec and either TW25B or Slide Glide Med on the rails. The problem with tight 1911's is they will strip grease out of there pretty quickly, so treatment with Mil tec first ensures residual lub.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A sparse coating of bearing grease on the frame rails and whatever gun oil I have on hand everywhere else. Favorites are G96, CLP, Hoppes...

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I used some royal purple gear oil the other day. It seems all the other crap I buy wont stay where I put it. The gear oil seem to stay where it needs to be. I have a problem with the lubs getting hot in the truck and running off. So far the gear oil stay's and I noticed a nice difference in the action. Seem to slide better than the gun oils.

barhob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    new braunfels
    Castrol Synthetic 20/50 on all my semi-auto hand guns.
    If any high quality motor oil can run inside a very hot engine and not break down, how could it not protect a gun?

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    No offense to 1911, I have a bottle of Mobile 1 in my cleaning box.

But just bought and used the Brian Enos Slide Glide
    On a .40 and .45 1911's sent about 100 rounds thru each and after breaking down both guns the product was in place like no cycles happened.
    This is my choice for slide lubrication !

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    No offense to 1911, I have a bottle of Mobile 1 in my cleaning box.

But just bought and used the Brian Enos Slide Glide
    On a .40 and .45 1911's sent about 100 rounds thru each and after breaking down both guns the product was in place like no cycles happened.
    This is my choice for slide lubrication !
    Post a link for that stuff, gear oil stinks but it works!!!

BrettM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Because i sweat so much once a month i completely disasemble my guns and clean the hell out of them and i put a light coating of bell ray waterproof grease(buy it at the motorcycle shop) on everything in and on my guns.Its the only thing that keeps them from rusting on the inside,even with the coatings on them they will still rust with anything else.
    Brett

DoubleOBar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Lower Rio Grande Valley
    Any question about 1911 lubricants, or any other firearm, always draws lots of opinions and reccomendations for pet products. The bottom line is there are many, many lubricants that will work well.

For the internals, a few drops of a good light machine oil will do the trick. I use Mobile Velocite No. 10 Spindle oil, because I buy it by the gallon to keep my Logal lathe running. Any good light machine oil will do just as well, including many of the high priced special gun oils.

For the rails I will use Mobile Vactra No. 2 Way Oil as I also buy this by the gallon for the lathe. This stuff is sticky so it will hang onto machine ways, and also does well on verticle and curved surfaces of firearms. I also have a life time supply of good old GI "grease rifle", that was developed during WWII for use on the Garand and M1 carbines. This stuff also does a good job on the railes on the underside of the slide where it slides over the disconnector. It is still being sold under the name of "Lubriplate". Brownells carries it and it is a good all purpose gun grease.

The trick to the use of any of the lubricants is to keep your weapon clean and relubed from time to time. Any lubricant will harden a smidge in time, plus attract and hold all manner of grit, dust and trash.

DoubleOBar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Lower Rio Grande Valley
    I don't believe there are any miracle lubes and the cheapest are just as good as the "higt dollar spread". I keep a gallon of Mobile Velocite No. 10 Spindle oil and it works just fine for a light gun oil for internals. I also keep a gallon of Mobile Vactra #2 and it is a high viscosity oil designed to stay on curved and vertical surfaces and it works fine on auto pistol rails, the round bolts and such things. I keep these two lubes for the lathe and they cost $15 to $20 a gallon depending on the phase of the moon or whatever.

It is never a bad idea to use a light touch of gun grease on auto pistol rails and on the bottom of the slide where it rides on the disconnector (1911). I bought three one pound cans of military Surplus "Grease, rifle" some years back and I have yet to open the last two cans. The commercial version is sold as Lubri-plate. This is also the proper lube for the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine.

YOu can believe the grease and oil makers hype if you want to, but most of it is just BS.

Top Bottom