• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    cocked, not one in the chamber. I keep the hammer back because its easier to pull the slide.

If its my Glock, its loaded.

Cocked and Locked.....you can't slide one into the chamber if your other hand is busy opening doors, moving loved ones out of the way, or engaging an adversary at close range. Using your teeth to cock a gun is very very difficult.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    That's why, with guns like the 1911, I'm a huge fan of holsters that are intentionally designed with a "ramp" in the sweat guard. Kydex holsters are usually the best for it, though there are some leather holsters out there that have it. Basically the ramp forces the thumb safety on if you try to holster with it off, and if it's already on it physically prevents it from coming off while in the holster. Rock solid safety retention is a must with a 1911, IMO. Some of the factory 1911's out there I have seen people commonly carry have less than desirable thumb safety fitment. Some aren't fitted enough, to the point where they don't positively "snick" on and off with a degree of effort. Some safeties very easily disengage with very little pressure, and don't positively engage with a "snick" to keep them engaged.

Any recommendations for holsters like this? i did a search and most of what i saw seemed like competition style holsters not concealment.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Any recommendations for holsters like this? i did a search and most of what i saw seemed like competition style holsters not concealment.

Here's a few links:

Phantom Modular Holster
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Secret-City-Weaponeers/199513703411325 (Their website is down right now)

Not sure if any of these have a ramp that forces the safety on, but I think most of them should have several models that do protect the thumb safety:

Blade Tech holsters, knives and tactical gear for military, law enforcement, shooting competition and hunting.
    Comp-Tac : Top-Quality Firearm Accessories
    Brigade Holsters | Leather Holsters; Custom Gun Holsters; Concealed Carry Holsters, Shoulder Holsters, Western Holsters, Concealment Holsters

There's quite a few other manufacturers out there, but those are just a few to get started.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    I go with what I'm trained in....i.e. fully loaded and cocked and locked! My family is well versed in safety and what not to do when coming in contact with a firearm, regardless if it's mine or one they happen upon.

I also rotate between numerous magazines and 1911s thereby allowing them to "rest" and not be loaded for long periods of time.

Top Bottom