• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I bought a bunch of different types of ammo to try out in my new 10/22 Target, and here are the results. Groups are 10 round groups at 50 yards with a warm bore. No cleaning between groups or barrel cooling periods.

Ruger 10/22 Target - Factory Stock
    - Redfield 4x12-40mm Scope
    - Leupold Rings / Cantilevered Base
    - Front and Rear Bags

1022.jpg

Remington Golden Sabers - I've always known this ammo to shoot decent enough to shoot critters at 50 yards, and that's about what I got out of it. There were alot of fliers and inconsistent velocities out of this ammo. I could hear about one in four not breaking the sound barrier which leads me to believe that Remington has some quality control issues on it's priming or load. You can see the two that did not break the sound barrier on the group. They are conclusive with the slower velocity ammo from CCI in where they printed (down and left).

Remington Thunderbolts - I read an old article regarding ammo testing with a chrono and empirical results with a Ruger 10/22 and the Thunderbolts that said they were "an excellent bargain for the performance". Unfortunately I could not duplicate the results of that test. In fact, they shot worse than anything I've shot through the gun to date.

CCI Standard Velocity - Someone mentioned on Rimfire Central that these were a good performing round in their Ruger, and I'd have to agree. I shot 4 groups with this ammo and they were all as good as the one pictured. Very consistant placement and grouping. I would recommend this ammo for an easy to find, and affordable box o' fun.

CCI Blazer - This is our standard range ammo we've used for years. It gives us very little problems other than being a bit on the dirty side in all of our rental guns, and from the results I got today, it's an affordable plinking choice.

CCI Velocitor - The Velocitors were a recommendation by a friend of mine that also has a heavy barrel 10/22. If I were to of gone off a 5-shot string these easily would have measured about 1/2" MOA. They are fast, loud, and are copper coated which makes them a good varmint round, but they double in the accuracy department also. These were the most accurate I've ran to date.

CCI MiniMags - The group is not pictured but results were on par with the Blazer. One thing I did notice about the Minimags is the number of fliers was substantially higher than the other CCI products I've ran through the gun.

I plan to pick up some Wolf Match and some Aguila Match to try through the gun next. So far I am up around the 250 round mark through the barrel, and the gun seems to be settling down a bit. It certainly does not like a cold bore at all. The cold bore variation is easily three times the group size, and it takes about 5 rounds for the gun to start moving back in.
    Hurley's Gold

kfog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Houston
    pretty impressive groups with standard ammo, especially the CCI. if you're looking for some accurate stuff, my 10/22 shoots remington eley target rifle really well (yellow/green label). five shots in a dime at 50 yards all day long.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    That barrel shouldn' have to heat up to shoot to poa. Did you clean it between different ammo? .22 does not heat a barrel much, and that 10-22T should hold pretty tight.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That barrel shouldn' have to heat up to shoot to poa. Did you clean it between different ammo? .22 does not heat a barrel much, and that 10-22T should hold pretty tight.

All barrels exhibit cold bore variation, and since a .22 doesn't heat the barrel that much, it takes a few rounds to warm it up.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    All barrels exhibit cold bore variation, and since a .22 doesn't heat the barrel that much, it takes a few rounds to warm it up.

I understand shooting from a cold barrel. Usually a rifle tends to drift after it's heated up. That's the reason for the heavy barrel.

bunkysdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Garland Tx
    I like the results of the CCI. I have always thought of the Remington Thunderbolts like other lower cost Remington to be decent plinking ammo, and at 50 yards those groups would still have knocked cans off a fencepost. So your tests showed what I expected, but the CCI grouping is a raggedy hole. Makes me want to buy some CCI for my shooting outing this next weekend. Good shooting from a nice rifle/scope combo.:patriot:

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Is the rifle factory HB or did you build up the rifle from a stock 10/22? Pics? Putting my 10/22 back together this week.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    well done.

i'll be watching this. i dont have a 10/22 but have a remington 597.

but when compared ammo agaisnt ammo, with a constant barrel, i can see which ammo is best suited for my purposes

Lastshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    There is sooooo much that can be done withthe 10/22. I am scared of them. some of the most accurate 22 semis when they are fixt up right. and you can dump a bunch of money on them. Stay away from RFC! those guys will spend your money! ha ha... But nice shooting there. I have a lot of fun with .22's.

30+GSXR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    man ole man - I let someone shoot my Ruger 10/22 this weekend. It had a Tactical Solution Extended Mag release "aluminum" - Well, the guy bent that sucker like a wet noodle. I about fell out when I looked over and saw that. Anyway's sorry to hi-jack thread, I just had to VENT, I AM STILL UPSET a little.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I have always liked the groups that my 10/22T has shot.It likes several brands/types of ammo and will shoot very small groups with them. All that I've done to mine is change the stock,and a trigger job.

005-1.gif

10 shot groups at 50yrds.
    009.gif

010-2.gif

011-1.gif

Tx1911,Nice shooting with yours,get a trigger job done and it will get even better groups. THB

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Great range report! I love seeing ammo comparisons. Try out Federal Auto Match next time. It seems to the be the most accurate in my Ruger MKIII.

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    I have been following this 10/22 range report for a while now and I must say it's impressive.
    I'm liking the accuracy I see. While ammunition is obviously making a difference the rifle seems to overcome it nicely.

I posted this question on another site as well, but thought I'd post it here too in an effort to get a consensus opinion.
    The only 10/22's I've seen are about the size and weight of the Marlin 60.
    Do they make smaller lighter versions of the 10/22 somewhere in between say a Cricket and a 60?
    Thinking of the kids here; They're young and couldn't handle my 60 without a rest; Son wants to hunt, but he's still not big enough frame wise to be comfortable with the weight while tromping thru the woods, over hill and dale...
    I've seen Marlins that meet the right size, even sized them up on him out at Bass Pro, but not a 10/22.
    Thoughts?

Top Bottom