• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Houston
    Ok well I'm having a problem with my 05 F-150 for some resson every time I stop and take off it makes a thump sound in the rear but after I takes off It shifts nice and smooth only when I stop and take off again its getting annoying thanks
    DK Firearms

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Our work 04 does it. Idont get paid to maintain it so I havent checked into it, but its probably the ujoint or dshaft needs grease.

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    My 05 SuperCrew 150 was doing someting similar to what your describing. Turns out there is a service bulletin about this problem. It has to do with the computer controlling the transmission shift points. Shouldn't matter if the vehicle is out of warranty or not. Have a dealer run the VIN for this. Also if you have the 5.4L there is one for it running too lean and pinging. Ask me how I know...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Houston
    Try Ford-trucks.com

I know for my F-250 its cause by lack of grease for the slip-yoke. Here is a thread on it :
    Clunk when taking off from a stop. ??? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

But like I said, I have an F-250, so not sure if its the same for the F150. Join that forum and post in the 05 F150 sections and you'll get your answer. Very good people over there FULL of awesome info.

Goodluck

Well I have replaced the universal joint I thought that was it and when I bought them I asked for parts for a 05 F- 150 and the one's they gave me were to small so he brings out ones for a F-250 and they fit and the guy at the autoparts store sad I had a f-250 deferential so thanks for the info

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Not sure if the F150/250 runs a 2 piece drive shaft, but if it does, you may have a bad/worn carrier bearing. When you put a lot of torque on the shaft(like you do when you take off) it may be "bottoming out" inside the carrier bearing housing. If the truck has a long wheel base, it will beat up a carrier bearing after a while. As far as the yoke goes,you can tell they are worn when installing new u joints. Most shafts have both a front and a rear one or several that are all serviceable. Good luck with it, Texmex.

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    My company runs all Fords and we have had this problem on almost all of the from 05-07 yr models. It' always either the U-joint or the yoke.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    When did you last change the differential fluid?

How many miles are on the vehicle?

Rear end "thumps" often turn out to be diffy problems.

Be well

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    There's a TSB for this problem. It's TSB 04-26-6. Get some PTFE lubricant (Ford makes some specific), remove the driveshaft and lube the slip yoke with the stuff. Should fix the problem.

Got a V8? Changed the spark plugs in it yet? Don't try to do it yourself, and make sure whoever you take it to knows exactly what they're doing. No matter what, you won't have the truck for at least a day for this job...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Houston
    There's a TSB for this problem. It's TSB 04-26-6. Get some PTFE lubricant (Ford makes some specific), remove the driveshaft and lube the slip yoke with the stuff. Should fix the problem.

Got a V8? Changed the spark plugs in it yet? Don't try to do it yourself, and make sure whoever you take it to knows exactly what they're doing. No matter what, you won't have the truck for at least a day for this job...

Thanks for the info ill try ASAP

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

I'm curious, why couldn't he change the plugs himself?

Top Bottom