• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I know, everyone here is perfect, but for the rest of us, what was your worst "oops" moment while at the range, or at a gun course, etc?

My personal "oops" moment happened almost 10 years ago. My grandfather had just died. He was a veteran of 3 wars, and over the years, he had accumulated a nice arsenal of arms. My father, understandably took all the good stuff; Colt 1911, M1 Garand in good condition, 44 Magnum revolver, etc. The one gun he let me take was my grandfather's old J-Frame DA/SA .38 special. It was the gun my grandfather carried when he worked as a security guard to help pad his pension, and also just get out of the house according to him.

It was actually in good condition, not a lot of scratches, nice grips, no obvious holster wear. I was kind of happy to have it to be honest. So shortly after, in remembrance of my grandpa, I took it to the local indoor range along with some other handguns. Now, I had almost zero experience with DA/SA revolvers before, but I knew the basics. Thumb the hammer back for SA, else a long DA pull.

So I load up some 38 special in my booth, I get set to shoot. When I'm shooting I usually start with the gun slightly pointed down (like a 40-45 degree slant), and then I try to practice getting my sight picture, and then take a few shots, repeat. Always pointed down range of course. So I thumb the hammer back, and I try to lightly and gently place my finger on the trigger before raising to hit paper, and BANG. A round goes off to my complete shock.

The round bounces off the floor of the range, and I literally see it ricochet into berm at the back of the range. It scared the sh** outta me. Suffice to say, the 4 universal rules saved me, and I'm glad no one got hurt. At the end of the trip, I wanted to see what was up with the gun. Took it to my workshop, and got my trigger scale out. Make sure the gun is clear, and thumb the hammer back, and pull.

Pull #1 - 1.7 pounds
    Pull #2 - 1.4 pounds
    Pull #3 - 1.9 pounds.

Pretty much everything under 2 pounds. I had never really shot anything much under 3 pounds before, so seeing 1.4 shocked the heck out of me.

I didn't realize these j-frame triggers were so damn light in SA. I don't think my grandpa modified the trigger (or maybe he did, who knows?). I never owned another J-frame, or shot another one, so I never had a frame of reference to compare.

But that was my one oops I've had over three decades of being in shooting sports.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It wasn't a oops... but could have been.

Took my BIL hunting 3yrs ago. He took a couple cracks at a barbary goat with my 6.5cm. After the misses.. we loaded up and he gave me my rifle back. I put it in the sheath and we go home. I pull it out the next day to ring steel to find a live round and safety off. I don't keep any of my guns hot, other then my edc.

I was sick to my stomach and serverly upset with myself for awhile after that. The layers of gun safety do a great job for the humanly momentary lapse of reasoning.

Assume... really does make an ass out of everyone.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I suppose it’s kind of a oops moment. My son shot my PMR30 and the thing fired out of battery. Sending the slide release, powder and shrapnel flying backwards.

Less of an oops moment and more of a gun malfunction.

Last edited:

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas

Took my BIL hunting 3yrs ago. He took a couple cracks at a barbary goat with my 6.5cm. After the misses.. we loaded up and he gave me my rifle back. I put it in the sheath and we go home. I pull it out the next day to ring steel to find a live round and safety off. I don't keep any of my guns hot, other then my edc.

I was sick to my stomach and serverly upset with myself for awhile after that. The layers of gun safety do a great job for the humanly momentary lapse of reasoning.

I know a guy who did this same thing with an AR. When we got to the range and saw the round fly out when he pulled the bolt back, we looked at each other for a second, like, "Did that really just happen?"

Scary stuff.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    One time I was at a grocery store, and what I thought was a chick in leggings in front of me, turned around and was a guy. My eyes...

fjkjd.jpg

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

I had loaned a deer rifle to a friend. When he returned it the rifle was cased and I laid it in the trunk of my car. Got home and before I put it in my safe I thought I should double check it.

Not only did it have a live round in the chamber, it was off safety. He was a serious gun guy. I was shocked I would get it back in that condition.

Always check them. Even if it’s someone who knows. Or should know.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I passed a Tennessee Highway patrol doing 90.
    That was an oops+ a oh shit or two.
    Same happened to me. 15 or 16 years ago I was driving to work, running 91 mph on 111 between Yoakum and Edna. It was still dark out, maybe 5:30am. Ran up on a state trooper from behind. By the time I’d noticed, it was too late. It was my most expensive ticket ever. It was also my last ticket.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom