• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Male grooming is essential if you want to improve your image (which opens doors in other areas). Haircuts and beard trimming are the absolute minimum.
    F8BAE530-0FB9-43D9-864C-A978C204F9DD.jpeg
    Target Sports

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    My BIL kept our dad's FN Hi-Power in his gun safe after he passed. When I asked for it, he sent it up with my mom when she came to visit. When she gave it to me, it was in a case and my first thing was to check it. My mother said it was not necessary as the BIL had assured her it was not loaded. When I pulled the mag, I saw it was full, and when I racked the slide, a round came out.

My BIL is pretty cool and I never saw him do anything unsafe at the range but...

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Male grooming is essential if you want to improve your image (which opens doors in other areas). Haircuts and beard trimming are the absolute minimum. I go to the Salon, get tea tree oil treatments, pedicures, and manicures. On top of that I also have different lotions at home for body and face (they aren't the same thing), and a supply of lactic acid face peel pads.
    double-facepalm-picard-riker.jpg

If I had all that money to throw at vanity, I'd use it to buy more guns.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My worst oops was the worst because I did it in front of a bunch of y'all.

It was at a family reunion a few times ago. Y'know how the routine for loading a SAA is "load 1, skip 1, load 4, fully cock the hammer and drop it on the empty chamber"? I do that for every single action just to stay in the habit. I was on the line loading my .45 Ruger Blackhawk. Somehow, I miscounted. When I dropped the hammer, I put a 230 grain FMJ into the ground about 10 feet in front of me.

Embarrassing. Very, very embarrassing.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    View attachment 346325

If I had all that money to throw at vanity, I'd use it to buy more guns.

Look man, I love buying guns more than most people. I am 90% done building a gun room, that's how much I love them, I need a separate room with a vault door to store them. :laughing:

But personal hygiene and grooming will take you places in your career, I swear by it. I would venture to say, if you're at any Fortune 500 type company, if you're in management, the difference between being some low-level supervisor, and a VP over say a division, can come down to image and hygiene.

Yes, connections/personal relationships play a role as well, but if you have dirty hair, a scruffy face, and chewed up nails, you won't be making VP level, let alone anything above that.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas

It was at a family reunion a few times ago. Y'know how the routine for loading a SAA is "load 1, skip 1, load 4, fully cock the hammer and drop it on the empty chamber"? I do that for every single action just to stay in the habit. I was on the line loading my .45 Ruger Blackhawk. Somehow, I miscounted. When I dropped the hammer, I put a 230 grain FMJ into the ground about 10 feet in front of me.

4 rules still saved you!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Does sticking it in crazy count?

Sometimes crazy is the best kind.

Its good to know you are human. You run this place so well its dang near perfect.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yes, connections/personal relationships play a role as well, but if you have dirty hair, a scruffy face, and chewed up nails, you won't be making VP level, let alone anything above that.

Funny, I manage not to have any of those and yet I don't waste time and money on all the products and services. I simply don't have time for that foolishness. I bathe, wash my face, had clean hair back when I had hair, I trim my beard...and I don't shovel all the money at it that you do. It's amazing that you equate not doing all the ridiculous rituals and using all the lotions with not looking presentable. That's a false dichotomy that you've talked yourself into.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Look man, I love buying guns more than most people. I am 90% done building a gun room, that's how much I love them, I need a separate room with a vault door to store them. :laughing:

But personal hygiene and grooming will take you places in your career, I swear by it. I would venture to say, if you're at any Fortune 500 type company, if you're in management, the difference between being some low-level supervisor, and a VP over say a division, can come down to image and hygiene.

The other "men" notice?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

I have found that ability to do the job opens more doors than looking like some hipster with an oiled beard that doesn’t know how to change a tire.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Funny, I manage not to have any of those and yet I don't waste time and money on all the products and services. I simply don't have time for that foolishness. I bathe, wash my face, had clean hair back when I had hair, I trim my beard...and I don't shovel all the money at it that you do. It's amazing that you equate not doing all the ridiculous rituals and using all the lotions with not looking presentable. That's a false dichotomy that you've talked yourself into.

It's not about being "presentable", even a bum can be presentable with a haircut and a bath. :laughing:

I'm talking about presenting an image that a VP can look at, and say, "He's my new director of applications management."

Yes it cost a "little money", but when you have that director position making in the high six digits with RSUs that mature in 12 months, you're talking almost a million bucks total compensation. Is getting the occasional tea tree oil treatment and facial peel worth it? For my field, and career path, I think so.

Not necessarily for everyone obviously.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I have found that ability to do the job opens more doors than looking like some hipster with an oiled beard that doesn’t know how to change a tire.

Hoji, do you think at a company like Facebook/Meta or Google or Workday or Oracle, etc, people don't know how to do their jobs? :laughing:

If you're working at a company like that, especially if you're in a senior position, you know what you're doing. In fact, these people are usually the Top 1% of their field, easily. You've been vetted far before you are in consideration for a management position. This all goes without saying. No one is going to be a dumb ass with an "oiled beard" and waltz into management, that's not how this works. :laughing:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Hoji, do you think at a company like Facebook/Meta or Google or Workday or Oracle, etc, people don't know how to do their jobs? :laughing:

If you're working at a company like that, especially if you're in a senior position, you know what you're doing. In fact, these people are usually the Top 1% of their field, easily. You've been vetted far before you are in consideration for a management position. This all goes without saying. No one is going to be a dumb ass with an "oiled beard" and waltz into management, that's not how this works. :laughing:
    Well, at FB or Google they would have to be able to quote party line as well as look like a hipster and smell like a hippie as well.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Well, at FB or Google they would have to be able to quote party line as well as look like a hipster and smell like a hippie as well.

There are far more moderates (even conservatives) at companies like this than you might realize. I knew a guy at Workday who was pretty outwardly conservative and non-woke. As long as you don't get yourself on the news (like say wearing a MAGA hat and getting into a brawl with ANTIFA morons), most of these companies don't care about your political life.

In fact, a lot of these companies are locking down on woketards and asking them to quit if they don't agree with the zero tolerance policy of "no activism at work" (e.g - Netflix, Redbull).

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    There are far more moderates (even conservatives) at companies like this than you might realize. I knew a guy at Workday who was pretty outwardly conservative and non-woke. As long as you don't get yourself on the news (like say wearing a MAGA hat and getting into a brawl with ANTIFA morons), most of these companies don't care about your political life.

In fact, a lot of these companies are locking down on woketards and asking them to quit if they don't agree with the zero tolerance policy of "no activism at work" (e.g - Netflix, Redbull).
    Incorrect. Know a guy that got canned for wearing a MAGA hat at FB but BLM is good to go.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Incorrect. Know a guy that got canned for wearing a MAGA hat at FB but BLM is good to go.

From what I know of Meta's policies right now (I still know people who work there), both of those guys would be reprimanded and warned to not wear that type of clothing into the office.

Even back when I was working there, wearing a "maga" hat wouldn't be an instant termination unless that employee was already on a PIP, or on probation. So that guy must've had a history already.

Top Bottom