• Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    No Herman's Hermits?

No Elvis?

Well if we are sticking to the Classic Rock era starting in the late 60's. (limiting to one song per group)

Tuesday Afternoon, Moody Blues
    Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?, Chicago Transit Authority
    Of A Lifetime, Journey
    Silver Tightrope, Armageddon
    Bridge of Sighs, Robin Trower
    Time, Pink Floyd
    Jessica, Allman Brothers
    Just Remember I Love You, Firefall
    Holding on to Yesterday, Ambrosia
    Sundown, Gordon Lightfoot
    Fire and Rain, James Taylor
    Another Park Another Sunday, Doobie Brothers
    Welcome to the Club, Joe Walsh
    Into the Mystic, Van Morrison
    Loggins & Messian, Angry Eyes
    Riding the Storm Out (live), REO Speedwagon
    Marillion, Kayleigh
    Kashmir, Led Zeppelin
    Strange Magic, Electric Light Orchestra
    Games People Play, Spinners

I could go on with a much longer list.
    I guess it depends on your definition of Classic Rock, but here goes for 60s-70s:

Smoke on the Water
    Whole Lotta Love
    Satisfaction
    Purple Haze
    Sunshine of Your Love
    Running with the Devil
    You Really Got Me
    Taking Care of Business
    Wont Get Fooled Again
    Walk This Way

I kind of think of the very late 1960's to about the late 1970's as the classic rock era.

I'm a huge Elvis fan, and love listening to him, but I wouldn't ever classify his style as classic rock. And frankly, it's really hard to put Elvis into one genre of music.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I can't believe not one of these lists includes ZZ Top. You could pick either Tush or La Grange. Shame on you for not including them. All these years, same 3 guys, same 3 chords. They used to open for Jimi Hendrix.

Jimmy Hendrix playing the Bob Dillon song All Along the Watchtower. I know this is not a popular opinion, but I think his version of the Star Spangled Banner is the best ever. You can hear the rockets and bombs (artillery).

Chuck Berry doing Johnny B. Goode. (I saw him around 2000 in Houston. He was pretty old - at least in his 70s and he was ROCKIN' that guitar!) Every rock guitarist learned from Chuck.

The Beatles - anything - maybe Help! is a good example. They changed music forever.

Texas's own Janice Joplin doing Piece of my Heart. Or doing the Kris Kristoferson song Me & Bobby McGee, which she did so well that she totally owned the song. "..windshield washers slapping time, holding Bobby's hand in mine, we sang every song that driver knew..."

The Temptations doing My Girl or Poppa Was A Rolling Stone.

B. B. King - The Thrill is Gone

Creedence Clearwater Revival - lots to choose from, maybe Did You Ever See The Rain

Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Let It Ride Cruising music from my youth

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water or Highway Star More crusin' music from my youth

Iron Butterfly - In-a-gadda-da-vida 17 minutes of rock. Usually only played when the DJ had to take a crap. Hilarious version on The Simpsons when Bart slips the music to the organist.

Little Feat - Willin' If you search on YouTube, you can find an amazing version of this with Linda Ronstadt and Lowell George.

The Kinks - Lola. How the hell can you forget "..I asked up her name and in a dark brown voice she said Lola, L..O..L..A, Lola, la, la, la, la, Lola .."?

Looking Glass - Brandy Face it, you still believe that somewhere there's a bar maid that fits this description. One of those odd love songs like Elton John's Tiny Dancer.

Warren Zevon - Lawyers Guns & Money (anything but the over-played Werewolves of London)

Lynrd Skynner - Sweet Home Alabama or Free Bird You played air-guitar to both songs. Yes, you did.

Richey Valens - La Bamba. (Don't even pretend you don't sing along with La Bamba) Super talented young man who died far too soon, along with the amazing Texas superstar Buddy Holly. Holly and Berry did more to erase color lines in popular music than everyone else combined.

The Band - The Weight or The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down ("..Like my father before me, I'm a working man, and like my brother before me, I took a rebel stand, He was just 18 proud and brave, but a Yankee laid him in his grave, I swear by the blood below my feet, you can't raise a Caine back up when he's in defeat...)

Chicago - I'm a Man

Some stuff already mentioned would include SRV, AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, Velvet Underground. Honorable mention would also include Nirvana, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Queen, Allman Bros., Hootie & the Blowfish, Carol King, The Who.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    most of us have a list of top 10 classic rock songs that go back many years, that we consider iconic songs of rock.

here is my list of top 10.

1. Stairway To Heaven. Led Zeppelin

2. Hotel California. The Eagles

3. Turn The Page. Bob Seger

4. Layla. Eric Clapton

5. Back In Black. AC/DC

7. Freebird. Lynyrd Skynyrd

8. Whipping Post. Allman Brothers Band

9. Jukebox Hero. Foreigner

10. Rocky Mountain Way. Joe Walsh

Honorable Mentions.

1. Feels Like The First Time. Foreigner

2. Shakin. Eddie Money

3. Running On Empty. Jackson Browne

4. Go Your Own Way. Fleetwood Mac

5. There's Only One Way To Rock. Sammy Hagar

okay lets see your lists!
    You must be almost as old as the hills - like me!

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Classic rock is rock that is “classic”
    Devo is most definitely classic rock.
    Nominated for R&R Hall if fame.

Agreed that classic rock is rock that is classic, but I've always felt Devo was better classified as belonging to the New Wave genre, and definitely New Wave that is classic.

And as mentioned above, the R&R HOF has serious credibility issues, not limited to those mentioned above. I think they are wise to want to include Devo, Devo's contribution to music is worthy of recognition, but shouldn't, imo, be filed under "rock".

However, I have no problem with anyone holding a different view. We can probably agree that categorizing music isn't always easy, and "rock" is definitely a very broad category (imo, way too broad).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Classic rock is rock that is “classic”
    Devo is most definitely classic rock.
    Nominated for R&R Hall if fame.
    Devo?

You've got to be kidding.

As far as R&R HOF, that has been a travesty in so many ways.

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    10 off the top of my head in no particular order:

1.) Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

2.) Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin

3.) Miss You - Rolling Stones

4.) While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Beatles

5.) Surrender - Cheap Trick