• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have been putting lead on target for almost 30 years now through just about every type of weather we experience in Texas. Over the years, base layers have improved in tech and quality from the long johns I grew up romping around in. Gloves have become less bulky and now have scent control. Balaclavas are thin and awesome in windy conditions. I have discovered tons of great warm weather gear but come deer season, I find myself layering up when I'd really just prefer better gear.

I have definitely become a fan of under armors offerings but have yet to spend the big bucks on their jackets and pants. I also like some of the high end browning and scent lock stuff. This year I am committed to upgrading my jacket, pants and gloves. I am good on base layers, socks and boots. Do any of y'all big spenders out there think it's all worth it ? I am a firm believer in the "get what you pay for rule" but I have been burned over some over-hyped items that weren't worth the pricetag. What works best for you guys ? I am open to all brands and price ranges but would like to keep the jacket under a buck fifty and the pants under/around $75.
    Lynx Defense

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The UA cold gear pants are worth every penny you spend on them. Last year I ground hunted in Pennsylvania in 11 degree temperatures and was comfortable even sitting on the ground for hours at a time. Not cheap, but worked as advertised.

The smart wool longjohns are first rate as well.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Can't believe no one else has commented. Am I the only hunter that actually hunts in the cold? Lol

I was thinking the same damn thing Hoji. I did get myself a nice UA heatgear top recently and will put it to the test soon. I have also been eyeballing Sitka gear but until I win the lotto, that stuff is a pipe dream.

Wool is nice but kinda bulky. For now my Rocky, browning and UA layers will have to get me through the season. Still on the hunt for a quality camo jacket.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Can't believe no one else has commented. Am I the only hunter that actually hunts in the cold? Lol

ha

I hunt in Texas so there's never much need. I once shot a decent buck with white shorts, flip flops and a hawaiian shirt on.

I get within bow range of deer with rubber camo boots from Academy and jeans. Long sleeve shirt, fleece vest and a coat of some sort. All the gear isn't necessary if you play the wind right.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I was thinking the same damn thing Hoji. I did get myself a nice UA heatgear top recently and will put it to the test soon. I have also been eyeballing Sitka gear but until I win the lotto, that stuff is a pipe dream.

Wool is nice but kinda bulky. For now my Rocky, browning and UA layers will have to get me through the season. Still on the hunt for a quality camo jacket.
    Smart wool is not bulky at all, very thin.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    you can but how do the sheep feel about that?
    Me i wear carharts
    10hov8h.jpg

Can't type eating lamb racks now!

Dman62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Prosper, TX
    Layers for sure. I'm a big fan of polar fleece. Polar fleece/thinsulate neck gaiter is a must have! My secret weapon for cold weather is the Thermacare back wraps. A good 10 hours of toasty warmth! Surplus wool pants can be a great bargain.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    I have been putting lead on target for almost 30 years now through just about every type of weather we experience in Texas. Over the years, base layers have improved in tech and quality from the long johns I grew up romping around in. Gloves have become less bulky and now have scent control. Balaclavas are thin and awesome in windy conditions. I have discovered tons of great warm weather gear but come deer season, I find myself layering up when I'd really just prefer better gear.

Sounds like you have a firm grasp of what actually makes you feel cold when stand hunting in cool to frigid conditions. It is your body not moving that makes you progressively feel colder. Eating before you hunt helps keep you warm. Taking a thermos and drinking hot liquid. Covering your ears, face, neck, and hands, (using Hot Hands) because your extremities get colder, especially when getting blasted with wind over time.

I don't believe there are magical gloves that will keep your hands from getting cold, you need circulation. That's why guys get frost bite on Mount Everest even though they are wearing thick gloves or mittens, because of no blood flow to the extremities. Mittens are proven to be warmer. Outdoor Research makes good gloves, kind of pricey. Try ebay for good deals.

This year I am committed to upgrading my jacket, pants and gloves.

I am a firm believer in the "get what you pay for rule" but I have been burned over some over-hyped items that weren't worth the pricetag. What works best for you guys ? I am open to all brands and price ranges but would like to keep the jacket under a buck fifty and the pants under/around $75.

I couldn't disagree more, especially with gloves, pants, and coats. The function of your outer layer is to keep the wind and rain out, the warmth in, and breathe to the degree you need it to. The science in keeping warm when being still is in the mid layers imho. When being really active it is in the base layers and outer layers. I don't believe in all the scent control garbage and refuse to pay astronomical prices for some Chinese piece of crap made of polyester and nylon. You can also find good stuff at thrift stores that's hardly used.

If you want to keep your coat and layering simple, a 3 in 1 style hunting jacket that is wind/water resistant/proof, bulky enough to layer under, and fleece lined is pretty much all you need. Layer with either wool, polartec, or down and a secret weapon is a heat reflecting vest or heated vest, but you will over heat when you start to move because they don't breathe.

Me, I like military surplus or Filson wool pants and wearing a layer of synthetic and wool blend Duofold over that. If it is just really cold and not rainy, I like the Filson Double Mackinaw or regular Mackinaw cruiser. For rain, I like Gore-Tex or cheap rain jackets (those work better), or Filson tin cloth or shelter cloth jackets with the wool liners.

Just didn't see the thread, but I suppose most people don't think much about what they wear, they just use simple stuff that works or they freeze their asses off.

The UA cold gear pants are worth every penny you spend on them. Last year I ground hunted in Pennsylvania in 11 degree temperatures and was comfortable even sitting on the ground for hours at a time. Not cheap, but worked as advertised.

The smart wool longjohns are first rate as well.

Smart wool works, but it is pricey and made for the yuppie hiking crowd. I like Duofold and under armor.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Layers are important, at least to me.

Up top:my base layer is a very old polypro set from REI. Then a regular camo long sleeve (can even be cotton). Then the fleece jacket I just got from Kyptek (fantastic). If it's going to be rainy I pack my Marmot rain coat. Only thing I would change here is merino wool for the base layer.

Bottom: polypro as stated above, then regular camo pants. My legs don't really ever get cold so this keeps me good past 27 degree or so.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    Sounds like you have a firm grasp of what actually makes you feel cold when stand hunting in cool to frigid conditions. It is your body not moving that makes you progressively feel colder. Eating before you hunt helps keep you warm. Taking a thermos and drinking hot liquid. Covering your ears, face, neck, and hands, (using Hot Hands) because your extremities get colder, especially when getting blasted with wind over time.

I don't believe there are magical gloves that will keep your hands from getting cold, you need circulation. That's why guys get frost bite on Mount Everest even though they are wearing thick gloves or mittens, because of no blood flow to the extremities. Mittens are proven to be warmer. Outdoor Research makes good gloves, kind of pricey. Try ebay for good deals.

I couldn't disagree more, especially with gloves, pants, and coats. The function of your outer layer is to keep the wind and rain out, the warmth in, and breathe to the degree you need it to. The science in keeping warm when being still is in the mid layers imho. When being really active it is in the base layers and outer layers. I don't believe in all the scent control garbage and refuse to pay astronomical prices for some Chinese piece of crap made of polyester and nylon. You can also find good stuff at thrift stores that's hardly used.

If you want to keep your coat and layering simple, a 3 in 1 style hunting jacket that is wind/water resistant/proof, bulky enough to layer under, and fleece lined is pretty much all you need. Layer with either wool, polartec, or down and a secret weapon is a heat reflecting vest or heated vest, but you will over heat when you start to move because they don't breathe.

Me, I like military surplus or Filson wool pants and wearing a layer of synthetic and wool blend Duofold over that. If it is just really cold and not rainy, I like the Filson Double Mackinaw or regular Mackinaw cruiser. For rain, I like Gore-Tex or cheap rain jackets (those work better), or Filson tin cloth or shelter cloth jackets with the wool liners.

Just didn't see the thread, but I suppose most people don't think much about what they wear, they just use simple stuff that works or they freeze their asses off.

Smart wool works, but it is pricey and made for the yuppie hiking crowd. I like Duofold and under armor.

You disagree with "you get what you pay for" but you're sporting several pieces of pretty high-priced outerwear (Filson)...isn't that a bit contradictory? ;)

Last edited:

Rattler60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Hehe jackets? I'm up in the north country finishing a project it's getting UP to -5 Monday. Chill factor of -28. These cheese heads know how to bundle. Haven't froze up the camper yet. Later. I'm busy rooting for the cardinals.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Top Bottom