• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Was loaned another scope this weekend to try out again. Got it mounted up, bore sighted and zero'd. Ready to go play.

Got all setup on the 100 yard range and was prepared to make some targets with nice tight groups. Notice the picture I attached? Me too.

First set was ok but not really any better than I could do with the irons. I wrote it off as me just warming up. Next go around though was a nightmare. I thought I had figured out my hold over (2.5" or basically on top of the circle) but the bullets were all over the freaking place. WTF? Am I really flinching that much? I'm like off the 8x11 piece of paper! I was shooting irons way better than this. So I get ready to go again.

I force myself to relax, get a good sight picture through the scope, line up where I want it to go and squeeze the trigger. The scope moved. not much, maybe a fraction of a milimeter, but it moved! I reach up with my hand and jiggle it. The freaking mount won't hold to the rail!

I think this is why the SCAR ate the other scope. The concusion from the rifle is pretty stout even if you don't feel the recoil much. With .5mm of play there is enough room to shake thing around with the forces involved. This is the result of a cheap ass $20 set of rings and a quick detach raiser..

End result: I'm ordering a LaRue mount (just need to make sure the scope will clear the irons). Admittidly the Explore Optics scope I'm buying isn't really worthy of either the LaRue rings or the SCAR it's a decent piece of hardware at a very reasonable price. Plus I can buy both a 1.5-6x50 and a 4-16x50 with LaRue rings for less than the cost of an ACOG and mounting hardware.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Perhaps. On the otherhand expensive doesnt necassarily mean good value. My $5500 ZX6 eats up plenty of Aprilias and Ducatis that show up for trackdays.

Explore comes with a lifetime warranty the last scope was replaced with the request - do that again. The owner is local and is trying to build up a good reputable company. Just b/c he isnt charging $2K for scope doesnt mean it isnt good. The 1.5 scope is like $150 so it actually costs less than the rings I'm buying for it. If I decide I need a Zeiss, Leopold or some expensive piece of glass then I'll pop the explore out and put the other in. No biggie.

Thing is: I'm not a Marine crawling around the mountains of Afganistan with haji trying to shoot my lazy ass. The most punishing thing my equipment is likely to see is Tiger Valley's bug out drill or a hog hunt. Don't think I need an ACOG for either event.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    To give you an idea, the type of "punishment" cheap scopes can't take is a lot less than you'd think. When it comes to cheap scopes like Cabela's brand scopes for example, you'll get one out of every dozen or few dozen in which the turrets are internally locked up and will not adjust. You'll get some that won't adjust consistently, or won't adjust anywhere near what they're rated (rated 1/4" clicks but actually moves 1/2" or even 1" or more). You'll also get plenty that won't even hold up to the "abuse" of simply sighting the gun in. lol I don't know anything about that particular "Explore" brand of scope, but as far as inexpensive optics go, the new Redfield's and Nikon Prostaff's start at ~$125-200 and tend to perform and hold up pretty well. I'm not too fond of any other brand in that price range as I have yet to find anything else that inexpensive that actually works or performs even remotely consistent from scope to scope. It's pretty bad when a scope can't even survive being mounted and minimally adjusted to be sighted in. Makes me wonder why companies even make inexpensive optics, but then I remember that lots of people buy them! ;) lol

Mounts are the other often overlooked item. Personally, I'd rather pay for a less expensive scope and get better mounting hardware than cheap out. For example, if I had only two choices, I would go with a Leupold VX-II and Badger Ordnance or other rock solid base/rings over a VX-III and cheapo Weaver hardware.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    We'll see how this plays out. I'm calling larue today to make sure the rings will work with my application (scope clear the BUIS on a SCAR), if they'll work I'll place the order and get the scope this weekend. If it's all good then "yeah me". If not I'll drive the guy nuts w/ constant warranty returns until he makes one that does work.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Ouch!

Just ordered the LT-104 from LaRue. Gave them a call and spoke to ...crap I forgot his name but he was really nice. He directed me to the best mount for the SCAR given that I want the scope to clear the irons (1.5" high). Expensive ($195+tax & shipping) but based on comments from other places worth the money.

Can't wait to get my hands on them. Does seem pretty funny that I'm going to put a scope in the rings that costs less than the rings.

Top Bottom