• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I picked up a Yildiz TK-36 at Academy Sports a couple of days ago. At $129.99 plus tax it was a decent deal especially since, as far as I know, that was the same as the pre-pandemic price. I have not shot it yet, planning to do so tomorrow of the next day but wanted to point out some rather surprising features of it for the price. Those feature are listed on the tag in the pic:

yildiz.jpg

I never would have expected he wood to have been walnut (of any grade or variety) but so it is or so they say. I also was happy to see it takes 3" shells (I guess maybe that's something more or less standard in shotguns now) and was also surprised to see it supposedly has an ejector. I say supposedly because when doing a function check of the gun, it did not eject the shell but only partially extracted it, maybe 1/4", out of the chamber. I don't know much about single shot shotguns, so I am not sure if that means it's malfunctioning or just that it does not have an ejector as claimed on the tag. I am not going to worry about it as long as I can easily pull out spent shells after firing it. Otherwise, it seems like a nice little gun. Speaking of little, while the buttstock fits me okay, the foregrip is really quite small but sine it's only a 410 with little recoil, I imagine maintaining a hold on it during recoil won't be a problem. I think it going to be quite the fun gun. I'll post a range report after I shoot it. Have to go to the sheriff's office to renew my range pass first.
    Target Sports

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Generally, ejectors won't work unless the firing pin is released. If you have a spent shell, chamber it, pull the trigger, then open the action.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Looks like they have an over/under on their website, but I did not see a side by side

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    I also am waiting to see what this means.... "Have to go to the sheriff's office to renew my range pass first."?
    It means just what it says except they call it a permit not a pass, my mistake.

lt's a non-supervised range, open to the paying public, I have never seen a range officer there. I had to go to the Miller County, Arkansas Sheriff's Office last year to purchase the annual permit to use the Smith Park Gun Range. It is a bare bones range with maybe 6 to 8 points, has a seat and bench at each point, has a roof over the points, distance out to 100 or could be 150 yards, has a couple of picnic tables and parking area.

They have a big sign posted with the rules - unless it has changed there is nothing said about not handling any firearms when other folks are downrange. That safety issue is violated so often there (including guys loading firearms while others are setting targets) as to make the place scary on weekends. Weekends are when it is often full to capacity with shooters. At least it was full the three or so times I went on weekends. I only go on weekdays now, when it is more likely for me to be there alone or maybe with just one other shooter - makes me feel safer.

I found it when I searched for outdoor public ranges last year. Realized it was the closest outdoor range to me that did not require a club membership (did not think I'd be here for a whole year), checked their website about it and found out I had to get a permit. I had to go to the sheriff's office in person to get the permit. You pay them $20.00 and they give you a hand written receipt that acts as the permit to use the range. It is good for a year. No one ever has asked to see it when I have used the range; never even saw any type of range master or RSO there.

permit.jpg

Range is kept pretty clean but is a bit beat up, no target stands, make your own and such. It's in a nice park, nice picnic areas. Could make a nice day of it there if shooting with a group.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Now that I think of it: Who knows maybe I got something extra for my $20.00. Arkansas is one of the top 5 states for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever - maybe that's where I got it, it is the outdoors type place in AR where I've spent a good deal of time outdoors if not the most time in an outdoors setting.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    3.3 lbs is really light. But a 410 won't kick much anyways.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts after shooting it.
    Yep, it sure is a lightweight. That was one of the reasons I would never have thought the stock to be walnut but that foregrip is skimpy and the receiver is aluminum alloy. Probably make a good gun to hike with.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Well, finally got mine arse over to the Miller County SO yesterday and got my range permit. Then headed over to the range with the Yildiz. Only fired enough to see how it patterned at about 20 yards.

I'd be happy with the result on any proper sized game, for a 410, at that distance. I have to say that despite the tag saying it has ejectors, the shells do not eject. They do just what I said earlier, the shells extract about 1/4" out of the chamber and you need to pull them out manually. Will be checking with the company to see if they are actually supposed to eject or if eject means something different in Turkey than it does here or at least in my understanding of the word.

No disrespect meant to the candidate, it was the only clean & available target I had with me.

Yildiz target.jpg

Anyway, that was three shots (maybe 4) of #9 shot. I also hit a well ventilated can of spray paint at the same distance a couple of times. The ammo was Monarch 410, #9 shot, 2 1/2" shells. If I take a walk in some squirrely woods, during the appropriate season, I'll take along the Yildiz.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom