Lynx Defense

Yeaaaaa hawwww... Selling on Craigslist!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Soooo... I'm trying to sell a C.E. Martin HD12-28 guitar. I posted it on Craigslist.

2 hours later I get this message.

b3a84bccd7b13b6289eea8dc014bab57 (1edf9127588c31ab831d6a2f926ac3ae@reply.craigslist.org)To:you (Bcc) + 1 more Details
    I want to buy this item. Can I pick it up tomorrow morning. What time do I go? If you wish to sell it to me. Please respond to my email ASAP so we can coordinate pick up time...Here is my Email... juliejenkins0012@gmail.com
    On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 7:59 AM b3a84bccd7b13b6289eea8dc014bab57 <1edf9127588c31ab831d6a2f926ac3ae@reply.craigslist.org> wrote:
    Like a dumb'ass.... I did email them. But not being a total dumb ass I told them to send me their cell phone number and I would contact them.

Then.... I checked the ad on Craigslist. Mmmmm.... were not logged responses/request. Yeah... scam. Have yet to get a response to my email. I did a net search on Juliejenkins0012@gmail.com and came up with someone by that name on Etsy. But they had no followers not much of any activity.

Then...
    I get this email. If you will notice my reply to the first email from "Julie" is appended to the reply from "Jimmy Brown".

Jimmy Brown (jimmybrown197071@gmail.com)To:you Details
    Hello, I'm satisfied with the price and the condition, kindly withdraw the advert from CL and consider it sold. I will add extra $50 with the original price while you remove the ads.My husband will overnight a check from a local Banks, and i will make the pick up arrangement as soon as you have the check clear and your have your cash, I would have loved to come and take a look and purchase with cash, but my work frame{Doctor} is tight,i work at 2424 OAKLAND AVE from 8am - 8pm. So, I'll need you to provide me with the following information to overnight the Payment.

Full Name on the Check..
    Full Physical Address..
    Final asking price..
    Your cell# ..

The check will be overnight to you asap and deliver to you within 48 hours

The following is the first email appended to the second email.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 1:31 PM <xxxxxxxxx@aol.com> wrote:
    Hi Julie(assuming that's your name)

Tomorrow is fine. If you noticed the craigslist map I'm in xxxxxxx

What time did you have in mind? I'm available most all day.

Email me your cell number and I'll call you for directions to my shop.

Thanks,
    Doug W.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    3k. Got about 10 hours play time on it total. I've also got a 1985 Martin D35L that the sound it makes is to die for. I bought a Fender TeleCaster thinking I wanted electric - couldn't make it sound like the D35L. Bought the HD12-28. Couldn't make it sound like the D35L either. Soooo... all I play(poorly) is the D35L. Finally figured out that's the sound I wanted and nothing else makes that sound.

Just making sure you understand the 'L' in HD12-28L stands for left handed.

Here's the link: https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/d/deer-park-ce-martin-hd12-28l/7260264650.html

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    OP has sold a few item on Craigs list. Soooo... he was aware of how the game is played. Must'a just had a "senior" moment in that one reply he made. The value of the asking price creates more fraud activity. Sell something for $100.00 don't get messed with much.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Soooo... I'm trying to sell a C.E. Martin HD12-28 guitar. I posted it on Craigslist.

2 hours later I get this message.

b3a84bccd7b13b6289eea8dc014bab57 (1edf9127588c31ab831d6a2f926ac3ae@reply.craigslist.org)To:you (Bcc) + 1 more Details
    I want to buy this item. Can I pick it up tomorrow morning. What time do I go? If you wish to sell it to me. Please respond to my email ASAP so we can coordinate pick up time...Here is my Email... juliejenkins0012@gmail.com
    On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 7:59 AM b3a84bccd7b13b6289eea8dc014bab57 <1edf9127588c31ab831d6a2f926ac3ae@reply.craigslist.org> wrote:

Then...
    I get this email. If you will notice my reply to the first email from "Julie" is appended to the reply from "Jimmy Brown".

Jimmy Brown (jimmybrown197071@gmail.com)To:you Details
    Hello, I'm satisfied with the price and the condition, kindly withdraw the advert from CL and consider it sold. I will add extra $50 with the original price while you remove the ads.My husband will overnight a check from a local Banks, and i will make the pick up arrangement as soon as you have the check clear and your have your cash, I would have loved to come and take a look and purchase with cash, but my work frame{Doctor} is tight,i work at 2424 OAKLAND AVE from 8am - 8pm. So, I'll need you to provide me with the following information to overnight the Payment.

Full Name on the Check..
    Full Physical Address..
    Final asking price..
    Your cell# ..

The check will be overnight to you asap and deliver to you within 48 hours

The following is the first email appended to the second email.
    On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 1:31 PM <xxxxxxxxx@aol.com> wrote:
    And check will be written on a Nigerian bank.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    3k. Got about 10 hours play time on it total. I've also got a 1985 Martin D35L that the sound it makes is to die for. I bought a Fender TeleCaster thinking I wanted electric - couldn't make it sound like the D35L. Bought the HD12-28. Couldn't make it sound like the D35L either. Soooo... all I play(poorly) is the D35L. Finally figured out that's the sound I wanted and nothing else makes that sound.

Just making sure you understand the 'L' in HD12-28L stands for left handed.

Here's the link: https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/d/deer-park-ce-martin-hd12-28l/7260264650.html

My buddies are broke musicians...they dont have that kind of coin :roflfunny:

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    OP has sold a few item on Craigs list. Soooo... he was aware of how the game is played. Must'a just had a "senior" moment in that one reply he made. The value of the asking price creates more fraud activity. Sell something for $100.00 don't get messed with much.
    I have had quite a few sales on CL over the years, too. You are spot on that the price dictates the scam response. If you sell a car or boat you will get a very different response than if you are moving a pet or a set of golf clubs.

I got that "please remove your advert" response once, too. I responded with "I will do exactly that ten seconds after the funds are deposited". I heard zip after that. I don't think that you were dumb to respond; it would have been dumb to take action without funds in hand, though.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    A friend of mine's brother seem sane. Except his hobby is low-balling for all sorts of things on CL. Must have some success.

I do notice that 99% of folks listing old photographic equipment on CL are asking crazy money easily checked by looking at online vendors of used gear. Once in a while the price on a new model expensive camera is crazy low and the same ad is posted in multiple CL cities. Big waste of time.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I don't think that you were dumb to respond; it would have been dumb to take action without funds in hand, though.

Nah... the dumb came into play when I responded to the *.gmail address from my email address instead of replying back through CL's mail service. Just exposed one of my email address' needlessly.

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Good to know. I have sold a few things in CL and always used the link through Craigslist, like Ebay, to respond to the potential buyers. I always figured it kept the fraud in check, so I guess that assumption will hold for now.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Craigslist is huge game. If you plan on selling on Craigslist, you just have to know the game. There are way many people that have too much time on their hands that love nothing more than to mess with people over the items they have to sell.

You have to realize, to separate the wheat from the chaff when dealing with people responding to Craigslist ads. If you get a hundred phone calls for an item you have for sale, one or two of them might be serious enough to look and maybe buy.

I do still use Craigslist, because it's free and I understand and accept the pitfalls of dealing with the idiots on Craigslist.

When I list something on Craigslist, I let it route through them to my email account. I set specific terms in the description of the my item to sell, and any possible trades I might entertain. When O go through the emails for the item, anything that isn't what I'm looking for in the specifics to my item, I don't even bother responding. I send them straight to the trash folder.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Have sold MANY things on CL over the years, including four vehicles totaling around $50K. BUT y'all are right.....tons of BS to deal with, yet pretty easy to spot. Not all bad and some of the responses are kind of comical. When I have time, I enjoy stringing them along a bit and kind of whipping their ass at their own game. Not only fun, but satisfying.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    A very common scam. I posted a pickup for sale last year and got at least 20 versions of the same thing. It's not only CL; the internet trolls have search engines looking at every site.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

I guess it depends on who you are, how careful that you are & what you are selling/buying.

This week, I have bought another antique fiberglass boat (a 1957-59 LAMAR "STANDARD LITTLE FISHERMAN" = I'm not yet sure which year it is, as the 1957-59 fifteen foot Small Fisherman hulls are all almost identical.) with a 1958, sixty HP, Mercury OB & trailer off CL in a small town near Goliad..
    (I also, fairly frequently buy/trade/sell antique M-B cars of the 1965-95 period on the San Antonio CL.)

yours, satx

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I lump Craigslist and TGTrader together. Good free sites to sell on but you're going to get scammers and junk trade offers galore.

Sold/ bought/ traded plenty on both with no issues though if you can wade through the crap.

Top Bottom