• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    Selling a SAK MP B barrel. a search of the intertubez brings up this...

SAK barrels were mfg by Saco in Maine, a legit Defense Dept contract/or, they made barrels for the M16's, supplied to the Dept of Defense as barrels/parts not as complete rifles (as far as I know anyway) should be marked SAK MP B, they were mfg sometime after the late 70's into the 80's, would have been used to replace shot out barrels etc on military M16 rifles afterwards

this thing is a perfect barrel for anyone doing a retro build, especially if you have one of those colt m16a1 kits that dont have the barrel Used U.S. Military Colt M16a1 Parts Kit - 1143546, Tactical Rifle Acc at Sportsman's Guide

Condition isnt perfect but its good. id rate it as a B. there is 1 small major nick in the barrel as you can see in the photos. the rifling looks good to me but i could be wrong. i did my best to capture the rifling in pictures.

Price drop: $175

Last edited:

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    pix

MpaPbqI.jpg

mGJkEGl.jpg

07VVyUq.jpg

9s1Wulu.jpg

nick pictured here:
    JKQ9RS2.jpg

EzchysR.jpg

S7TWfsp.jpg

vWwX4ob.jpg

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    i want to say it is. everything i see during a google search is that they were chrome lined government replacement barrels for the M16A1. the only thing that is confusing me is that the later ones were marked SAK MP CHROME BORE. i found a few links from a google search for you to check out. sorry i cant help a whole lot, even though i have the barrel, i dont have any experience with them, so dont know how to tell.

are all colt hbar's chrome lined? - AR15.Com Archive
    I have the following Colt barrels - all are chrome lined in both the bore and chamber (verified by visual inspection).

Barrel 4: (not colt, but also chrome bore and chamber 1x12), 20" 1x12 - marked "SAK MP B" (Saco)

Saco Barrels - AR15.Com Archive
    SAK MP CHROME BORE

Older ones were marked as

SAK MP B
    "The following is the way to identify chromed barrels from unchromed barrels. Stampings on the barrel approximately one inch rearward from the flash suppressor are as follows:
    (a) (SAK MP C) SAK is the manufacturer's stamp, MP indicates magnetic partical inspection, C indicates chrome chamber only, or (C MP C)= Colt manufacturer, MP= magnetic particle inspection, and C= chrome chamber only."

As this is found in the book on rebuilding the M16/M16A1, it would seem to indicate that the Saco contract did call for both types of barrels.

0Colt's USGI M16 series variation guide edition IV - AR15.COM
    Effective in December 1971 at about serial number 4,700,000 along with the chamber the bores were chromed, early ones were marked C MP B. The C means Colt’s, the M means Magnetic particle inspected, the P for Proof fired, and the B for chrome Bore. The barrel extention on these not chromed:
    Starting in 1974 and after serial number 4,900,000 chrome bores were marked C MP CHROME BORE. This marking was used all the way until the end of M16A1 production:

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom