• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Years ago I was in Illinois cruising around with a buddy checking out gun stores from my past. We went into one store & they had a rifle I wanted to look at. The clerck/jerk asked for my FOID card. I thew dowm my Texas CHL instead. I was told I could not only look at the gun, but needed to leave the gun shop.

...and march right outta that state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Went to Hudson, New Hampshire today due to a rare day off from work.

Went to Granite State Gun Range to rent a machine gun and and spend some bucks shooting( my plan was to buy a case of ammo and shoot till it was gone)

Range has a policy that you can not rent a gun unless you ;1) have a gun when you come in or 2) have a friend with you.
    Since I am working in Massachusetts I obviously do not have a gun with me.

So needless to say, they would not budge on the rule :(( even with TXLTC Instructor card, and other gun related carry licenses I have)

I could have purchased a long gun from them and taken it out of the store, turned around and come back in with my own gun, and rented what I wanted.

Tell me how this makes any sense at all?
    Needless to say, I left without spending any money frivolously with them. Shame too, as there were a couple of good knives I would have bought on my way out.

Makes slightly more sense than a waiting period for people buying guns, who have a shitload of guns at home already.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Tell me how this makes any sense at all?
    Their range, their rules - which by the way have to do with their suicide prevention policy and are plainly posted on their website on the page relative to firearms rentals, see: https://www.granitestaterange.com/gun-range/firearm-rentals.

That said, I will say their are some true dicks working at that range or at least were some working there in 2016. In 2016, I went there, with my son, to shoot but left without firing a shot. We were new to that range and were second on line. There were a lot of folks behind us, maybe 30 or so. We were given some paperwork to fill out. When I had it completed and tried to return it at the counter, we were told to go to the back of the line to wait our turn by an employee in a nasty tone of voice as if we had tried to cut the line. I explained we had already been on the line and were told to return the paperwork directly back to anyone at the counter without waiting on line again once it had been filled out. The thing was the person - with the nasty attitude - telling us to get back on the line was someone else other than the guy who handed me the forms. The first guy was standing right next to this guy and was helping someone else. He looked over at me when I said he had told me to come right back but he did not say a word. Their range their rules - even if they changed the rules minute to minute and store clerk to store clerk - but like you it was my money to spend or not. We just left the paperwork behind and walked out the door.

We shot at the Manchester Firing Line the year before, also had to fill out forms and watch a video but things went much smoother there. My son rented and fired a Tommy Gun and had fun doing it even though the range fees were $15.00 per person (with a $3.00 discount each already reflected in that price), the Thompson rental was $75 per hour and the ammo was $28.50 per box (plus or minus some cents) and we bought 5 boxes ($142.50 worth) knowing it was not really enough but had to be enough at that price. We also got a few targets for about $5.00. Back then, I was able to buy the exact same ammo at about $18 per box on line. Of course, when shooting a rental gun they insisted you shoot only their ammo. Funny thing was, I coincidentally (truly a fortuitous coincidence) had several other boxes of the same stuff in my range bag but when we left it was all gone! Other than my ammo, that somehow fell out of my range bag and miraculously loaded itself into the single stack magazine they had for the Thompson rental, my son paid for it all - $252.50 or so, cannot recall if there was tax.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Their range, their rules - which by the way have to do with their suicide prevention policy and are plainly posted on their website on the page relative to firearms rentals, see: https://www.granitestaterange.com/gun-range/firearm-rentals.

That said, I will say their are some true dicks working at that range or at least were some working there in 2016. In 2016, I went there, with my son, to shoot but left without firing a shot. We were new to that range and were second on line. There were a lot of folks behind us, maybe 30 or so. We were given some paperwork to fill out. When I had it completed and tried to return it at the counter, we were told to go to the back of the line to wait our turn by an employee in a nasty tone of voice as if we had tried to cut the line. I explained we had already been on the line and were told to return the paperwork directly back to anyone at the counter without waiting on line again once it had been filled out. The thing was the person - with the nasty attitude - telling us to get back on the line was someone else other than the guy who handed me the forms. The first guy was standing right next to this guy and was helping someone else. He looked over at me when I said he had told me to come right back but he did not say a word. Their range their rules - even if they changed the rules minute to minute and store clerk to store clerk - but like you it was my money to spend or not. We just left the paperwork behind and walked out the door.

We shot at the Manchester Firing Line the year before, also had to fill out forms and watch a video but things went much smoother there. My son rented and fired a Tommy Gun and had fun doing it even though the range fees were $15.00 per person (with a $3.00 discount each already reflected in that price), the Thompson rental was $75 per hour and the ammo was $28.50 per box (plus or minus some cents) and we bought 5 boxes ($142.50 worth) knowing it was not really enough but had to be enough at that price. We also got a few targets for about $5.00. Back then, I was able to buy the exact same ammo at about $18 per box on line. Of course, when shooting a rental gun they insisted you shoot only their ammo. Funny thing was, I coincidentally (truly a fortuitous coincidence) had several other boxes of the same stuff in my range bag but when we left it was all gone! Other than my ammo, that somehow fell out of my range bag and miraculously loaded itself into the single stack magazine they had for the Thompson rental, my son paid for it all - $252.50 or so, cannot recall if there was tax.
    Yes, as I have stated several times in this thread, I understand it is their suicide prevention policy.

But the fact that they would sell me a rifle/shotgun but not let me rent a gun is somewhat ludicrous.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    ...and march right outta that state

Now that mom & dad are long gone I'll never return to Illinois. One of the great nieces asked when she would she next. Told her I would be back for her gandmother funeral nor my brothers. Said when she work up & moved to Texas she could see me.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    But the fact that they would sell me a rifle/shotgun but not let me rent a gun is somewhat ludicrous.

People rent guns for suicide in the range but they don't seem to buy them for that purpose. You'd think at that point running up the CC would not be an issue, but I guess it is. Or they are scared of NICS

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    renting a gun to off yourslelf is a richard move.

A friend of a friend did a base jump off of El Capitan without a parachute and tracked himself all the way to the meadow.......resulting in a large red streak. BTW......he ran up his CC at iFly.......learning how to track in freefall.

That is a dramatic way to go.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    renting a gun to off yourslelf is a richard move.

A friend of a friend did a base jump off of El Capitan without a parachute and tracked himself all the way to the meadow.......resulting in a large red streak. BTW......he ran up his CC at iFly.......learning how to track in freefall.

That is a dramatic way to go.

That’s pretty impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magnut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2015
    I have been presented with a similar policy, later on learned that a year earlier some guy had come in, rented a gun and blew his brains out. You can't blame them for being cautious.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

I am an RSO @ an outdoor range w/ the same policy for the rental of handguns. for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom