• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    Looking to buy a used fire helmet in this style in yellow. Joined the the local VFD now that I'm done with the army.

789638_300.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    I appreciate it Skip. They issue that style, they let the guys wear the "old school" looking helmets but ya gotta buy your own. One just sold on Ebay for $75 and I'm kicking myself for not buying it. Thanks again though. The search continues....

txfireguy2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Temple
    Good job joining the VFD, it's how I got my start in firefighting, which is now my career. As far as buying used helmets.....I'm not so sure I'd trust it to be honest. Why was it retired? No longer meets standards? Was it involved in an accident whereby it may have been compromised? I guess buying from guys you trust on a forum is maybe better, but I wouldn't buy one off ebay, JMO. Most of the FD related stuff I've seen on ebay is being marketed as decorative stuff, but then again, I haven't looked at FD stuff on there in a long while, maybe things have changed. I've used old, tattered, worn out bunker gear in the past, the stuff that had a liner that looked like an old army blanket and the "moisture/vapor barrier" has holes in it (had a couple steam burns too), but I won't use a helmet that I'm not totally sure about. Here's my reasoning: If my bunker gear is old and worn, and it gets too hot in the fire building, I can say, "it's too hot in here, I'm getting burned, let's get out", plus, when you have old gear, you don't get in too deep like we do sometimes with better gear that doesn't allow us to feel as much heat. On the other hand, the helmet is an item of PPE that protects you from falling objects that often fall without warning, heat builds and you back out, falling cieling joists just fall on your head and scare the crap out of you, unless you have a helmet problem, then the permanently injure or kill you.

Okay, sorry for the bad vibe man, just some food for thought, and I agree, the traditional helmets look so much better. Stay safe man, and seeing where you're from, I hope we don't ever wind up on the same fire, if we do, it's going to be a BAD DAY 'cause that'll be a BIG FIRE. :-D

txfireguy2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Temple
    See there, just be honest and there's no miscommunication! :-D I just hope you're not going to use one that's been used for that purpose by someone else, that might be a little gross. Hahaha, good luck man.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ^^ they seem like the would be dishwasher safe, just run it through the sterilization mode.

btw lilirish, im jsut playin, i am impressed by the awesomeness of firemen.

and i know im awesome, but it is always good to have a reminder here and there.

:)

Top Bottom