• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    A swing and a miss.

Its a very nice looking and running ride. The parts that were fixed looked to have been done well. I am not sure if it was this owner or a previous one but at some point in time it was a rusted out mess.

You can see that some of the metal under the car was very pitted and I am not sure if it was blasted then coated or just coated over the rust. Not a deal breaker by itself it was definatly still good enough to not fall apart anytime soon it passed the whack it will a hammer and it did not crumble.

Its registered as a 1970 bug so I assumed it had Independent rear suspension something I wanted its going to spend most of its time on the street and ball joints on the front over a king pin. Weeeeellllll its on a 6X pan so has the other type of rear and king pins in the front. I did not get into how he had it registered as a 70 if its a 60's pan without swapping out the vin numbers.

He was barging about having fixed all the oil leaks and after a 5 minute jaunt around the storage facility found out the brakes did not do much even stomping the peddle but I was not sure how well brakes work on old bugs but as light as the thing Is I would think locking them up would be easy and I never even got a squeal. He said he had forgot to check the oil level of the brakes and its one of the bugs with that car it does not leave any oil spots but you need to check fluid levels often because they do go down. So it was sitting for 3-4 minutes and look under the engine and several drops of oil are under the pan on the ground probably somewhat normal for a 1970's bug but did not add any value for me.

All in all I don;t blame him for his asking price it was definitely the nicest one I have looked at yet, I don't bother with any over the 8K mark because I am not paying that for one. He wanted 8 and I offered to come look it over if he would take 5 he said lowest he would go is 6 that is when I agreed to go look figured we would end up at 5,500 or so and I could have lived with that. After looking it over I stayed at 5 and he would not move under 6.

I let him know of all the ones I looked at his was by far the best looking one and if he holds out someone will pick it up. Shook hands and parted ways.

He said he was selling it because the storage facility was opening up over seas and he and his wife would be spending at least 4 years there so he was deciding if he wanted to sell it or store it for 4 years.

If it had been IRS I would have most likely have come home with it.

So on to the next

The antique plates expired last year they agreed to renew them before the sale.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Sounds like you made a good choice by walking away.

Now to fend off him calling you later with a lower price if you choose to do so.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    for anyone that is still looking this one followed me home

Just needs to be wired he had the new harness and bolted back up and should be good to go. ya right!!! its never that easy. I kind of like the paint set up on it other than faded I am sure it will buff right out.

made the 100 mile tow home on the vw towbar with no problems. Although I could not see any of it in my mirrors its so low and small. I did not attempt to back up not sure how that would work with the front wheels free.

buggy3.jpg

Attachments

• buggy3.jpg
      buggy3.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 704

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    ok disregard I hit up Uhaul and the price difference is like 10 bucks lol.
    thanks for the tips

NM, but still FWIW in the future

Be careful of the neighborhood U-Hauls.
    If you possibly can go with a full fledged dealership on both pickup and drop off.
    DAMHIKT ...

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

These "neighborhood" franchises are third party wannabe's, a U-Haul afterthought, often in strip centers (one nearest to me in Houston is actually run out of a barbershop??).

They routinely have no inventory onsite whatsoever, by design, and must order from other locations (and that coordination is sorely lacking if it happens to be another neighborhood franchise); notably don't answer the phone or return calls; and you're on your own if they actually have the item you need, even when it's out in a muddy field behind other vehicles that have nothing to do with U-Haul. < BTDT

Do yourself a big favor and go to a company location and cut out the middleman "neighborhood dealer" BS ... both pickup and return will be done with less hassle, maybe ...

I've experienced this in two states to date, so it's not a local problem. This company is no longer your father's U-Haul. Google their "reviews", like yelp and google ...

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    If you reserve your pick up online you will know if they have it in stock. And you can set your return and it even says but hey if you want to take it here we will knock off 10 bucks rental.

But I do agree if a real location is close pick that.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Would you chose a dolly or trailer to move a manual trans dune buggy on a 2 hour trip.

shady,

A trailer for sure. = I've towed cars on a "dolly" several times & it's HARD on the transmission/3rd member.

yours, satx

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    So here are some pics of the good running motor. Btw The crank was solid no wobble and I could move the crank by hand so knew the motor was free. He had removed the wire harness and had a new one ready to put it in.

Sooooo do you due diligence when buying a 60 year old car. I did not and now its going to add to the price. I have not removed the passenger side so we will see how bad that is.
    valve cover.jpg
    under cover.jpg
    heads.jpg
    piston tops.jpg

Attachments

• valve cover.jpg
      valve cover.jpg
      2.1 MB · Views: 638
    • under cover.jpg
      under cover.jpg
      950.9 KB · Views: 588
    • heads.jpg
      heads.jpg
      2 MB · Views: 635
    • piston tops.jpg
      piston tops.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 557

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    vw's are notorious for rusting when left sitting. This one was suppository in his garage the last year and it was in there behind several other cars he was working on

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    if anyone is still around

got the top coat on it and well it was just to bland so now its flaked again

This is the first time I have ever shot a top coat or clear coat or flake.

Topcoat is Dodge destroyer grey. Metalflake is called gunmetal what else.

Now to wetsand to get the flake smooth then 3 more coats of clear

buggy20.jpg

Attachments

• buggy20.jpg
      buggy20.jpg
      778.1 KB · Views: 368

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    close up of the back of the body

buggy21.jpg

close up of the hood its in the garage under led lights

buggyhood1.jpg

Attachments

• buggy21.jpg
      buggy21.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 355
    • buggyhood1.jpg
      buggyhood1.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 388

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    She has come a long way

Well close to the final product. I need to swap out the oil pump as now that I have a gauge and the light working it shows low at idle. Not fully happy with the 4 wheel drums it pulls right when stomped on.
    buggy3.jpg

buggy final 2.jpg

Attachments

• buggy final 2.jpg
      buggy final 2.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 320
    • buggy3.jpg
      buggy3.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 319

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    She has come a long way

Well close to the final product. I need to swap out the oil pump as now that I have a gauge and the light working it shows low at idle.
    don’t mess with the oil pump. If it shows proper pressure at RPM then it’s just the wear tolerances on your bearings that have loosened up it’s not the oil pump. All those old buggy engines show zero or close to it at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom