Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    We purged the house
    My sis and I have decided that we have too much stuff and we're too old to move it so this week we started the purge. It will take a long time but we're using the system pushed by several folks who advocate a minimalist lifestyle. While we're not shooting for that goal, the common method of "Get rid of one thing on day one, two things on day two, etc." is working for us. Supposedly you top out at 30 things per day and it's supposed to be a sustainable habit by that point.

We shall see. If it really works and changes my outlook on life enough, a whole shedload of guns, ammo and accessories may wind up in the classifieds here.
    I actually had a good experience a couple years back with this outfit https://threemenandatruck.net/
    I or someone in my family has used them about 5 or 6 times over the last 40+ years. Every experience was a good one. Of course, we always did the packing and only used them for loading, transport, and unloading.
    Target Sports

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I moved myself last June through October. About 12 trips with an enclosed 12' utility trailer over the course of five months.
    My adult son and wife helped with the last trip - the heavy/large stuff.
    I am still living out of boxes.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Our recent move went ok, I guess. Hired some ladies I know to pack they brought along the ones son. I packed my gun room myself. The wife chose to drag her feet as usual costing me money. Buying boxes suck! Letting my wife choose the size boxes was idiotic. Letting the son help load boxes unsupervised was as big of a mistake as running out of tape.

We gave away some things we were not taking, fridge, clothes dryer, dinning room set, wife clothes & shoes. It would have been better to put the crap out on the curb!

I hired a buddy, his dad & my buddies coworker. They would move what the movers refused ammo & guns.
    I had a lower bid from a mover, but my buddy actually cleaned out the house too. I trusted the buddy more then any mover.

My things are put away, while the wife still drags ass. The stone did not help nor did having to put my dog down. We had one cracked plate & lost the tv remote. At the same time I bought out another friends fathers estate. Living room, wash dryer, dinning room fridge & king sized sleep number. The fridge sat out on the front porch for 3 weeks & had to find someone to take the doors off & install it. That was another $95.00. The remote for the sleep number was lost for 5-5 week.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I packed all of our stuff into two large Pods, back in November. When we buy a new place, I’ll have the Pods delivered.

I miss my stuff!

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Moving. Take only the few personal things you absolutely have to have and call in someone to buy the contents whole. I can buy new stuff as my needs are low and I don't own expensive things on purpose. I sell it to the wife as a chance to upgrade. Now if I could just convince her to move.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Benenglish, you've inspired me to step up my giving away stuff I never use, but is still in great shape.

Like, a high cost paint sprayer I used once and many, many other items.

I'll either give this stuff to relatives, neighbors or goodwill.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I have been emptying my Garage at Goodwill since they opened a new one right near me. Drive up and they empty the truck and done. Anything I haven't touched in 6 months heads out. Slow going though. Wife won't dump anything. Got a clawfoot tub that needs repair she has been hauling around with her for 40 or more years now.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    My sis and I have decided that we have too much stuff and we're too old to move it so this week we started the purge.
    Not a bad thing

...While we're not shooting for that goal, the common method of "Get rid of one thing on day one, two things on day two, etc."
    A good theory. You have some valuable items, so be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater just to achieve a goal, but you know that.

Between donation writeoffs and estate sales, I see a Korth in your future.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    tnj,

" You have some valuable items, so be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater just to achieve a goal " and so one hangs onto stuff and therein lies the problem.

You hang onto stuff - good, heck even great, highly valuable, stuff, that you no longer use cuz you don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater until one day this valuable stuff is pushing you outta the garage and house.

Given, I don't use/need it and I'm not broke, I will give it away.

Oh, why not sell it?

I don't want a parade of strangers coming to my house.

This is a dilemma for those of us who one day realize they don't want to croak before this stuff could be used by someone who maybe can't afford it, but would like and appreciate it.

Most recently I tried to give a younger (maybe 15 years or so) neighbor some of my stuff and laughed as he said his garage was also full of stuff he no longer uses...sigh.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    My sis and I have decided that we have too much stuff and we're too old to move it so this week we started the purge. It will take a long time but we're using the system pushed by several folks who advocate a minimalist lifestyle. While we're not shooting for that goal, the common method of "Get rid of one thing on day one, two things on day two, etc." is working for us. Supposedly you top out at 30 things per day and it's supposed to be a sustainable habit by that point.

We shall see. If it really works and changes my outlook on life enough, a whole shedload of guns, ammo and accessories may wind up in the classifieds here.

I or someone in my family has used them about 5 or 6 times over the last 40+ years. Every experience was a good one. Of course, we always did the packing and only used them for loading, transport, and unloading.

It was tough to get rid of some things that i horded in the garage, but used the "if i havent used it in 5yrs its gone" method & that made it easier.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Too much stuff is a real thing. I felt bad about our level of stuff until I saw a friends place last week (they’re converging 2 households into one - recently re-married) - holy shit they have a lot of stuff!

Now I know we’re not as bad off as we thought. Got to let stuff go at some point or you will need more storage area.

I’m looking for a tool/yard shed now

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Benenglish, you've inspired me to step up my giving away stuff I never use, but is still in great shape.
    Along those lines, I'm trying to figure out who should get my fraternal grandfather's Model 12 shotgun. It's gorgeous and I think it should go to someone on my father's side of the family. Unfortunately, research thus far has turned up no one with the slightest interest in having it.

I've reached the point where I don't think I'll feel bad if it winds up on Gunbroker. When I reached that decision I truly knew it was time to start cleaning out and downsizing.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    tnj,

" You have some valuable items, so be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater just to achieve a goal " and so one hangs onto stuff and therein lies the problem....
    My point was a little more subtle...getting caught up in a process can result in valuable items being overlooked and donated or sold cheaply just to be done with them.

Being deliberate about how you’re thinning out is what I was getting at. Before and after every PCS move, either Salvation Army or DAV got a call to pickup trucks full of items we needed to discard and didn’t have the time or patience to sell. In hindsight, we should have consigned several lots of good furniture because the tax write off didn’t come close to making us as whole as consignment would have.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    My point was a little more subtle...getting caught up in a process can result in valuable items being overlooked and donated or sold cheaply just to be done with them.

Being deliberate about how you’re thinning out is what I was getting at. Before and after every PCS move, either Salvation Army or DAV got a call to pickup trucks full of items we needed to discard and didn’t have the time or patience to sell. In hindsight, we should have consigned several lots of good furniture because the tax write off didn’t come close to making us as whole as consignment would have.

True. We needed to downsize quickly a few years back. We did well on selling in-demand high value items we no longer needed. We donated low value items we could have sold which would have accumulated some decent dollars if we'd had time. But we still hauled off a lot of junk with no value.

If I could have turned my yard into something like Sanford and Son for a year...I could have sold the majority of items.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    My brother and nephew busted their tails helping, without them I'd be way up a creek without a paddle.

Same here when I had to move.

The house was packed and ready in 1/2 day.

My gun room and shop were much different.
    I had 6 guys show up, 3 with spouses, to help pack and move.
    4 PU trucks, 4 trailers and a very long Saturday got everything loaded, moved and unloaded.

It was a bit overwhelming having those guys and gals give up their weekend to help.
    Very thankful for friends and family.

Top Bottom