• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    I have an interview coming up to work for the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (as an auditor). The money is good, but the job description is pretty basic. I'm trying to find more in depth info online, and figured asking here might get me some info I can't find otherwise. So does anyone have any experience with working state jobs like this? Pros? Cons?
    DK Firearms

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I worked for the D.P.S. as Customer Service in the D.L. Division, not sure my experience(s) would equate to your area. PM me later and I'll give you my number if you want. Much easier for me to talk then type.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I've done accounting and auditing type work for a couple of different state agencies over the years. There are not a lot of pro's once you get past the retirement benefits and maybe the holidays although imho the holiday thing is a bit overrated. And if you are just now starting with the state your retirement package is nowhere near what it used to be.

The state has a decent health care package but like everybody else, they constantly modify it and usually not in the employee's favor. But all things considered especially in light of the current Obamacare cluster f, it's not bad.

Some agencies pay better than others, and some jobs are inherently better than others. If you enjoy auditing and don't mind the travel, you'll probably be OK. I burned out on it real fast and don't think I could ever go back. Constantly dealing with the state's pathetic and idiotic travel reimbursement policies requires a lot of patience (seriously, they won't reimburse you for tips). As you get older, you are less inclined to put up with it although that's true of everything I guess. I've known a few people who worked at or dealt with the Comptroller's Office over the years and reviews have been mixed. But it's a pretty big agency and I would imagine you'd have room to move around if you were in a spot that didn't suit you.

I assume the job's in Austin, which can be both a pro and a con. I generally like it here and for most part I can keep the liberalism at arms length, but the left seems to have taken up a notch or two lately and I admit it's starting to get to me.

Not sure if this helps but feel free to ask or PM me if you have other questions.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Is there a good website to go and see state jobs? All I've been told is texas workforce, but I can only figure out how to find jobs in my field. I've been thinking about maybe crossing over to another career field, and would like to do a general search of whats open with job descriptions.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    I worked for the D.P.S. as Customer Service in the D.L. Division, not sure my experience(s) would equate to your area. PM me later and I'll give you my number if you want. Much easier for me to talk then type.

Thanks, I'll PM you in a bit

I've done accounting and auditing type work for a couple of different state agencies over the years. There are not a lot of pro's once you get past the retirement benefits and maybe the holidays although imho the holiday thing is a bit overrated. And if you are just now starting with the state your retirement package is nowhere near what it used to be.

The state has a decent health care package but like everybody else, they constantly modify it and usually not in the employee's favor. But all things considered especially in light of the current Obamacare cluster f, it's not bad.

Some agencies pay better than others, and some jobs are inherently better than others. If you enjoy auditing and don't mind the travel, you'll probably be OK. I burned out on it real fast and don't think I could ever go back. Constantly dealing with the state's pathetic and idiotic travel reimbursement policies requires a lot of patience (seriously, they won't reimburse you for tips). As you get older, you are less inclined to put up with it although that's true of everything I guess. I've known a few people who worked at or dealt with the Comptroller's Office over the years and reviews have been mixed. But it's a pretty big agency and I would imagine you'd have room to move around if you were in a spot that didn't suit you.

I assume the job's in Austin, which can be both a pro and a con. I generally like it here and for most part I can keep the liberalism at arms length, but the left seems to have taken up a notch or two lately and I admit it's starting to get to me.

Not sure if this helps but feel free to ask or PM me if you have other questions.

This will actually be at the Dallas office (Farmer's Branch), so I won't have to relocate. I figured state jobs are pretty polarizing from what I've heard. Some love them, some hate them.

Is there a good website to go and see state jobs? All I've been told is texas workforce, but I can only figure out how to find jobs in my field. I've been thinking about maybe crossing over to another career field, and would like to do a general search of whats open with job descriptions.

I actually heard about the opening via a contact I made last year through a school job fair. He told me that I should contact him around Feb/March as that is when they would be hiring people with my grad date (may 2014). I emailed him a few weeks ago, he responded with a link, and 2 days later the job opening was posted (awesome timing). Here is the link he sent me that shows the current openings. Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts | Career Center

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin

Yeah, that Texas Workforce job website is a beating. I think some agencies post their job openings on their own websites so you might poke around on those.

Honestly, the hiring and screening process is so horrible these days it's amazing anybody ever finds a job. Even if you do find something you're interested in, without an insider to help guide your application through, HR is going to toss you aside if you're not hitting any of the preselected buzzwords that they've determined are needed to qualify. I wish you the best of luck changing fields but it's going to be real tough.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    USAjobs.gov I believe thats the right address lists lots of jobs.
    Specifically working for the state I understand they have less leeway in seeing that an applicant can do the job without specific boxes checked on the resume/application.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County

Try governmentjobs.com - I used it to find that job with the DPS

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Worked a County job for a couple years way back when.

Pros: had a lot of free time
    Cons: had a lot of free time

i used my free time to better educate myself and try to make things better. Most others didn't.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm surprisingly good at getting jobs in my career field. I just don't know if this is what I want to keep doing on the civilian side. So I'm trying to see what I may be able to side shift into. I tried USAJOBS.GOV but there wasn't much on it. Plus, I'm thinking maybe a state job is safer than a big govt job right now anyways.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm surprisingly good at getting jobs in my career field. I just don't know if this is what I want to keep doing on the civilian side. So I'm trying to see what I may be able to side shift into. I tried USAJOBS.GOV but there wasn't much on it. Plus, I'm thinking maybe a state job is safer than a big govt job right now anyways.

I've had that same thought. Part of the reason why I pulled the plug on my last job being a private company but on a fed contract.

Now I'm in a private company but on multiple state contracts.

Captain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    My wife works for the state. She hates it but is close to retirement

sent from the Gulf of Mexico

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Yeah, that Texas Workforce job website is a beating. I think some agencies post their job openings on their own websites so you might poke around on those.

To Jeremy especially: if you search TWC's site for "mechanic" you'll get a return for EVERY agency who's job posting contains that word. It will likely be in the thousands! LoL . . . Each agency has their own site with an Employment or HR section. Go directly to the agency site you are considering.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Also work with a recruiter if possible. Also Jeremy arent you in or close to the whole GSA/AMSA world? Those seem like good jobs. If youre really looking for a change (although it may be hard with having kid(s) look into National Guard/Reserve/AGR "technician" jobs.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin

What I meant was that in my experience, HR feels the need to justify its otherwise meaningless existence by weeding out applicants that it determines does not qualify for a particular position before the resume even gets to the manager who will be doing the actual interviewing and hiring. Each job posting will contain certain buzzwords that HR is looking for and if you don't have those in your application, they are very unlikely to even forward you along for consideration. Part of it is because the volume of apps is so high that they can't interview everybody, and part of it is because HR's only purpose in life is to prevent lawsuits and that's one way they think they are making the process "fair".

I don't know what field you are in or what you are trying to cross over to, but if you're, say, a financial type who's tired of it and wants to, say, drive a delivery truck, it will be very difficult if not impossible to get your application screened past HR because your experience won't have anything relevant to delivery truck driving, and HR won't advance you for fear that all the actual delivery truck driver applicants who don't get hired will find out and sue. You'll need to have contact with the actual delivery truck manager and tell him you're applying and hope he can override HR and get your application through the first cut, and even if he does it's still going to be an uphill battle after that.

Of course, if you're an auto mechanic trying to cross over to forklift mechanic or something like that, it's a different story but even then, there will be forklift specific buzzwords they'll look for.

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I have an interview coming up to work for the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (as an auditor). The money is good, but the job description is pretty basic. I'm trying to find more in depth info online, and figured asking here might get me some info I can't find otherwise. So does anyone have any experience with working state jobs like this? Pros? Cons?
    that is what momma does and has for over 20 yrs.
    Pm in bound call me.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What I meant was that in my experience, HR feels the need to justify its otherwise meaningless existence by weeding out applicants that it determines does not qualify for a particular position before the resume even gets to the manager who will be doing the actual interviewing and hiring. Each job posting will contain certain buzzwords that HR is looking for and if you don't have those in your application, they are very unlikely to even forward you along for consideration. Part of it is because the volume of apps is so high that they can't interview everybody, and part of it is because HR's only purpose in life is to prevent lawsuits and that's one way they think they are making the process "fair".

I don't know what field you are in or what you are trying to cross over to, but if you're, say, a financial type who's tired of it and wants to, say, drive a delivery truck, it will be very difficult if not impossible to get your application screened past HR because your experience won't have anything relevant to delivery truck driving, and HR won't advance you for fear that all the actual delivery truck driver applicants who don't get hired will find out and sue. You'll need to have contact with the actual delivery truck manager and tell him you're applying and hope he can override HR and get your application through the first cut, and even if he does it's still going to be an uphill battle after that.

Of course, if you're an auto mechanic trying to cross over to forklift mechanic or something like that, it's a different story but even then, there will be forklift specific buzzwords they'll look for.

HR? They've got programs that do that now. You wont get past the machine unless it picks up the right words let alone an HR person.

When I got my current job my recruiter told me the exact words to put in my resume.

Top Bottom