Texas SOT

Woluld like anyones opinion or input on this please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    My wife just did a renewal class and there was someone there from an attorneys office offering a special deal. It seems that if you pay this law group around $250 a year they will represent you free of charge if you ever have to use your firearm in a self defense situation. I believe this includes civil law suits. I don't know if that includes court fees though. I am going to look into it a little closer. Do any of you do this or know good points or bad points? The odds (especially for me and my wife) of having to use our firearms are very low, but it sure would be nice to have an attorney ready to go if needed! What do y'all think?
    DK Firearms

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    Wouldn't consider it unless their office was local to you. You really don't want a Houston lawyer representing you on trial in Fort Worth, especially when he's not getting any additional money to do it.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    Yes, they are in Houston, and I am in the DFW area.

Guess I should have checked my spelling a little better! Can't edit my thread title!!!

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I'd like to see the statistics on how many CHL holders end up needing an attorney for a "self defense" issue. I am thinking that getting $250 a year is a good business.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Attorneys, like other professionals come in all sizes and styles....First there are the great, honorable, truthful, and civic and client minded....Then a class in between the Good and the Bad....And then there is the Shyster, Ambulance chasing, very worse octopus type...

I wouldn't try to class they who were offering coverage for $250 per year, perhaps it's a good deal if you are in close proximity to often be forced to kill some rat or gangsta...On the other hand it may be someone seeking riches based on fear.....But abiding by the Law concerning using deadly force may or may not require an attorney.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    This is what you call a retainer. It's a common practice of having a lawyer on call you can talk to, pick their brain and have them do simple legal chores at a discount. What are you getting for $250.00??? Free legal advice and court time? If so how much? A good shoot can cost you $20,000. A lawyer is not likely to give you 100 hours of free time. Get the facts in writing as a legally binding contract.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My "used to be" lady had a similar service for several years and supposedly it covered a wide range of legal services. She had a few legal issues including water damage to her apartment contents from by a broken pipe on the second floor. In each case, she got an answer...."Sorry but that is not covered" by the legal service. From what I observed, it's a waste of money.

Flash

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It seems like a lotto type of deal to me. I could really pay off for you, but most likely will be a waste of money. I have heard of these deals, but have no interest in them.

mcfroggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    League City
    Not worth it. If I actually am being tried, I would want to hire the best I could afford. When you buy into these company services, they could give you a fresh new law grad. There are also numerous loopholes to get the company out of it if they don't want to represent you.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    Thanks for all of your input. I am kind of leery of this "deal" but told my wife I would ask all of you for another opinion.

Top Bottom