Texas SOT

With all the changes to CHL law, what to do to renew?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    No, that is not true. Look at the instructions on the receipt (bar code page)

Did you take a class at your last renewal?

I have always taken a renewal class. My instructor told me that since i did my renewal online their computer already knows that I have had 4 renewals and that I took a class last time. Their computer will start processing my renewal even before it gets the bar code page. I sent it anyway. Still waiting on my response from the DPS though.
    Gun Zone Deals

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have always taken a renewal class. My instructor told me that since i did my renewal online their computer already knows that I have had 4 renewals and that I took a class last time. Their computer will start processing my renewal even before it gets the bar code page. I sent it anyway. Still waiting on my response from the DPS though.

You are good without the class, but DPS wants the receipt page, unless they changed something I do not have access to see. I am interested in what DPS tell you via email.

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    The link to CHL renewal on Texas.gov had been down earlier today. Seems to be up and running again but does not appear to have been updated with the new renewal process, still asking for CHL-100 certificate of training (1st renewal).

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The CHL renewal online renewal says it's down for maintenance. The only form I can find is the 2011 form, so the requirements listed on it are wrong. Guess I'll have to see what they do in the next few days. Government agencies are never fast.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I renewed today - both myself and Schoolmarm. Still asked for CHL-100, so I'll be on the phone tomorrow w/'em. I'm sure they'll say "ignore it" - but it IS a shame that the site wasn't updated.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I renewed today - both myself and Schoolmarm. Still asked for CHL-100, so I'll be on the phone tomorrow w/'em. I'm sure they'll say "ignore it" - but it IS a shame that the site wasn't updated.

They did not put the revised test and curriculum for instructor use online until Friday afternoon. And the test is now shorter. We also have a specific course outline we must follow. Before, we were allowed to cover the core topics as we wanted. Now, it is waay more structured. The non violent dispute resolution has changed, as well as other topics. I am spending all day today revising my student workbook and Power Point. :(

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that there is also a provision in the new law that allows you to carry on an expired license as long as you have paperwork showing you have submitted your renewal application.

Sent from my bad a$$ Custom Epic 4G

I have reviewed the bill to be sure, and no.
    To my knowledge, all occupational licenses remain effective with proof of renewal (fees paid ;) ), I wonder why that wasn't carried over to CHLs.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    To my knowledge, all occupational licenses remain effective with proof of renewal (fees paid ;) ), I wonder why that wasn't carried over to CHLs.

First, it is not a occupational license :p

Second, some occupational licenses do not. An armed security guard or personal protection officer cannot carry unless he possesses a valid commission card from the state (an occupational license). As an instructor for both CHL and security, I cannot teach on an expired license even if I have submitted a renewal application UNLESS the state website shows it issued again.

I believe the reason for that is that there are requirements for renewal, such as a background check and training.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    There are renewal requirements for every license so unless I misunderstood something, obviously I'm referring to a renewal that only requires application and fee payment.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There are renewal requirements for every license so unless I misunderstood something, obviously I'm referring to a renewal that only requires application and fee payment.

CHLs have to be approved first because with only proof of renewal application there could be a dis-qualifier for the person. The proof or renewal application does not = continuation of the license.

I am only on my first cup of coffee, so I hope that makes sense.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Disqualification after application makes sense. Of course that applies to other licenses too - and I'm arguing cuz I'm caffein poor too :p

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Looks like they have it together over at DPS. I renewed on 9/1 even though the website wasn't updated and did not take a renewal class (1st renewal) and my status has been updated to mailed as of today. Not bad processing time even with the changes in my opinion!

Top Bottom