• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I love my new home state. I love going bass fishing in December, January or February and 1.) not freezing my balls off and 2.) actually getting some action from the bass.

We have four ponds / small lakes in our neighborhood (which is named after said lakes) stocked with bass, bluegill, green sunfish, crappie, and catfish. So far The last two have eluded me, but I've caught a fair number of bass, bluegill, and green sunfish.

Lately the two setups working the best for me have been a take on the "float & fly" rig - but instead of a hair jig, I'm using a 1/16th oz round head with a 2" shad style soft plastic - Garland's Fat Shad, IIRC. I'm fishing it on a light spinning rod, 10lb braid main line with about a 6lb leader cut from one of my fly fishing tippet spools. The results have been pretty good with that setup. The other one I've had success on were some miniature lipless crank baits - I hate buying Chinesium, but these are the smallest lipless cranks I've ever found - and I tell myself I'm supporting a Texas company by buying them (they're Creme lures, based in Tyler).

ocbDTGN.jpg

UZywiHT.jpg

Sometimes I can even get the boy to join me, and I got him on the biggest bass he's ever caught by throwing a finesse boot tail swimbait (2.8") on a ball head jig.

Y7voKnn.jpg

UYUWCEI.jpg

I love how dark the colors get on these fish too. Pretty bass.

Those mini crank baits I was talking about work pretty well too, I've landed half a dozen fish on them in the last couple outings, despite the cold water. Standard size lipless cranks like the Rat L Trap are a favorite hard bait of mine to throw, so I was pretty pumped to find the mini versions for tossing on my lighter rods. Haven't landed any lunkers on the little guys yet, but I'm feeling pretty good about the prospects. I think a four pack of them was $5 at WalMart.

VgPpNI6.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Awesome pics. My dad & grandpa started me fishing about his age. My time spent on Blue River & Lake Texoma as a kid are some of my fondest memories.

Keep making those memories. I’ve never had a bad day fishing.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Awesome pics. My dad & grandpa started me fishing about his age. My time spent on Blue River & Lake Texoma as a kid are some of my fondest memories.

Keep making those memories. I’ve never had a bad day fishing.

I started taking wee man when he was a few weeks old. Stuffed him in a chest packer and hiked lake and creek banks. He's almost 10 now, and he's a fussy pre-teen at times. He used to want to go every time I went, now I have to goad him into going it seems. Its easier when he knows he's going to catch something. When he caught that bass you'd think he was Roland Martin or Kevin Van Damme.

Once we find a good catfishin' spot, I think that's going to blow his mind too. Only catfish he's ever caught were small ones - 6-12 inch bullheads. I think when he lands a 5 or 10 lb channel or blue cat, he's going to lose his mind.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Dug thru some pix,

This was a carp the boy caught a couple years ago. Really energized him to go fishin. Gave him a hell of a fight too, and I had to get wet snatching his rod back out of the water, because the fish yanked it off the bank in front of him. After retrieving the rod he did all the work until I could grab it (no net)

u8FoHRz.jpg

I've been trying to teach him how to fly fish since he was about 4 as well. He has a basic cast motion down, but line management isn't great, so I got him a Japanese style of fly rod called Tenkara - its fixed line, no reel. The rod telescopes from 18 inches out to 12 feet. He does alright with that one.

lS1rmsK.jpg

5HdF5XS.jpg

6aHBQkT.jpg

45NveyG.jpg

He's a good fishin' buddy when he wants to be.

eYs2Ss9.jpg

gYgCTpl.jpg

MbUg9V9.jpg

b83SBkQ.jpg

Top Bottom