• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmwz71

Professional Retiree
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Crosby, Texas
    I just acquired a Winchester Ranger 1400 semi-auto 12 gauge. It has one choke tube installed, I don't know, but I think it is a modified choke. That's all I got, a shotgun. No manual, no extra tubes, no tool with which to change the tubes if I had them. Questions: Where, if anywhere, can I obtain a set of choke tubes? How do I take out the choke tube installed in the barrel and how do I determine what choke tube it is, are they identified in some way? If I am unable to find Winchester Ranger 1400 choke tubes, are there any other brand/type choke tubes that would work in my shotgun? What choke would be a good choice for an extreme novice dove hunter. (I've been one time, about 35 years ago.)

I am sorry if I sound totally ignorant about this, but, in reality, I am. I could use some help and some advice. Thanks in advance for either one. I would greatly appreciate some sound advice!!
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    For a beginner, unless it is a skeet or full choke, it should work. Shoot it and see how it patterns. Don't be discouraged, Dove are very hard to hit. Have fun.

I don't have the measurements for choke restriction handy. I also don't know much about your gun. Cabelas, Academy, or Bass Pro usually carry choke tubes for most guns but no guarantees there. If nothing else look online.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Choke tubes are typically marked with notches on the edge of the tube. The number of notches denotes the choke. Google it. In a pinch, and if the tube isn't over-tightened, you can probably use a quarter (coin) to remove it.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Choke tubes are typically marked with notches on the edge of the tube. The number of notches denotes the choke.

Now that I have a little more time:

1 notch = Full
    2 notches = Improved Modified
    3 notches = Modified
    4 notches = Improved Cylinder
    5 notches = Cylinder

And I can't recall if Skeet has 6 notches, or no notches at all.

Oh, and I'd recommend either Modified or IC for dove hunting.

dmwz71

Professional Retiree
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Crosby, Texas
    TXSUT and SAGE......you have NO idea how grateful I am for your information and advice. Come to find out, the choke tube in my shotgun is a modified choke; I know that 'cause that what is stamped on it. However, there are no notches on the choke tube, it looks like one would have to remove it with something like a crescent wrench, but I am sure there is a tool for removing and installing the tubes. Since it is a modified choke, and all I plan on doing with it for the immediate future is dove hunt, I am not too concerned about it for the present. Sage, I used the link you provided and printed up an owner's manual, and I plan on calling Winchester soon to see if they can/will tell me how old the gun is. I checked Cabela's website and they have several choke tubes listed as fitting my shotgun, but I will investigate it a bit further to see if they will actually work on my gun. Once again, thank you so much for your input, and please continue to provide advice and information as you see fit; it WILL be appreciated!!

Dennis

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sounds like it has an extended choke installed if you can read it without removing it. Can you post a pic? I'm curious now.

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    IMAG0330.jpg Sorry, I am a little slow

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have never seen a choke tube like that before. Am I seeing Imp. Cyl. as in Improved Cylinder? I know you said modified before but that seems incorrect. Either one will work for Dove huntimg though.

dmwz71

Professional Retiree
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Crosby, Texas

That picture was not from me, but from Flashcb...Thanks Flash!!! However, it looks very similar to mine with the exception that mine does say modified.
    Here is a picture of mine:

IMG_3120.jpg
    Also, there are three marks, like colons (:) on either side of "MOD", and two small holes opposite one another on the rough portion of the tube. I apologize for the picture, but I could not get my camera to focus when I got any closer to the gun. I will try to post a better picture when I get some help later today.

Dennis

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I believe that's an adjustable "Poly-Choke". Was something that Winchester tried back in the '70s. I have one on a 1200.

I'm not sure what you have on your shotgun but that's not a Poly-Choke in the picture posted. I wasn't aware that any mfr's ever sold their shotguns from the factory with P-C's installed...do you know that yours came that way from Winchester? I have a P-C on one of my Browning Auto-5's, installed by a gunsmith in the early 60's.

Top Bottom