• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    I just purchased a 1,000 case of the .22lr Silvertip ammo by Winchester. It is touted as a segmenting bullet meant to be used for short barreled self defense. I use a Ruger LCP II in .22lr as a backup to my carry gun. So I decided to try it. I had two stove pipes in 50 rounds. I was using Velocitor prior and usually ran into maybe one FTF in a box of 50. I know, .22lr for backup is sub-optimal, but in my late sixties, as a backup to my carry gun it'll have to do. And yes, I carry a Hellcat for primary.

My point being, I'll need to try this silvertip ammo so more in my LCP II before I'll be comfortable. Maybe I'll just carry my S&W 317 as a backup. It's a little more bulky, but no stove pipes!
    Texas SOT

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    I've been looking for the Federal Punch in .22lr. I simply can't find any at a price a sane person will pay. Hence the Silvertips. When I can get the Punch, I'll definitely give it a try.

Thanks

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I just purchased a 1,000 case of the .22lr Silvertip ammo by Winchester. It is touted as a segmenting bullet meant to be used for short barreled self defense. I use a Ruger LCP II in .22lr as a backup to my carry gun. So I decided to try it. I had two stove pipes in 50 rounds. I was using Velocitor prior and usually ran into maybe one FTF in a box of 50. I know, .22lr for backup is sub-optimal, but in my late sixties, as a backup to my carry gun it'll have to do. And yes, I carry a Hellcat for primary.

My point being, I'll need to try this silvertip ammo so more in my LCP II before I'll be comfortable. Maybe I'll just carry my S&W 317 as a backup. It's a little more bulky, but no stove pipes!
    There often is an issue/problem with buying 22 LR ammo in bulk before trying out a couple or few 50 round boxes of it boxes of it. The problem is not necessarily with the ammunition but with the gun through which you intend to fire it - especially semi-automatics. Semi-autos can be quite finicky with 22 LR ammo. A particular model (handgun or rifle) from a particular brand may do fine with a certain brand/type of 22 LR while a different gun, but of the same make/model, may not reliably function with the same exact brand/type ammo. When deciding which 22 LR ammo to buy for a semi-auto pistol or rifle, it is both prudent and practical to buy at least a few to several brands of 22 LR ammo and then try running 50 to 100 rounds of each brand & type through your gun to see which will feed, fire, extract and eject properly with reliability. Then try all of them again - especially if depending on a 22 LR semi-auto handgun for self defense. Zero failures to feed or other malfunctions with the ammo you select is what is desired.

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    Well said Glenn B! That's what I would normally do, but the sellers on GB were really price gauging on one or two boxes. Fortunately, my Granddaughter has an SP 101 in .22lr I gave her along with a Henry .22lr lever gun. Combine that with my 6 or so other .22lrs and I don't think the ammo will be a waste. Especially at $12.50 a box delivered to my door.

I appreciate your feedback and wish the ammo prices would go back to normal soon.

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    It looks like I can't spell. I meant price gouging. I just found some on Ammoseek.com at $28 a box of 50 plus shipping.

I went to the Federal Ammo webpage and they have it in stock and selling for MSRP, which is $10.99 a box of 50. I just ordered 10 boxes to try and give as gifts.

Who said patience was dead?

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Bought 15k rounds of CCI SV long before COVID came along. Works in all my weapons and was much, much cheaper than now. Pretty darn quiet when silenced as well. Another 10k of Aquilla .22 on sale. The advantage is 25k rounds take up almost no space.

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    Finally go to the range. The Federal Punch .22 ran flawlessly though the little LCP II. More fireball than the Silvertip and more recoil, but zero malfunctions.

Top Bottom