• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I was living and working in California when jimmah carter was Pres. Between the fed and state taxes, I worked Monday, Tuesday, and half of Wednesday to pay all the income taxes. How wonderful it was of them to let me have some of my earnings. As soon as I could afford it I got out of there and never will go back even for a visit. Property taxes we can live with.
    When I lived in California the second time, they had a back door tax on the military stationed there. They could not hit the military with the income tax but if your spouse worked in California they had to pay the income tax. The back door was to calculate the tax bracket based on both incomes (military and civilian) and use the higher bracket to calculate the taxes for the civilian.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I prefer shifting from the property tax to a sales tax for a variety of reasons. First, it spreads the tax burden out. Illegal aliens, tourists, people who live rent-free....they'll pay that tax. Property owners and renters who shop around can significantly reduce their tax burden with no property tax....putting more money in their pockets that they don't necessarily have to spend on sales tax. And sales tax is a more voluntary tax that encourages people to evaluate their purchases and shop for better deals....lower price on a good = lower sales tax on that good.

Right now, West is my preference....with Huffhines a close second. If neither of them end up on the general election ballot, I'm not wasting my vote....

I'm thinking West, Huffines is a car dealer. Only time he got a position he was appointed IIRC. Do you trust a car dealer?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The problem with property taxes is that it prevents you on ever really owning your property. You can pay off your house, lose your job, and end up homeless anyways.

I don’t know what the best solution is, but it’s something I really don’t care for in its current state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The problem with property taxes is that it prevents you on ever really owning your property. You can pay off your house, lose your job, and end up homeless anyways.

I don’t know what the best solution is, but it’s something I really don’t care for in its current state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every state in the Union has property taxes. Some have lower rates, some much higher.

AS much as property taxes suck - as far as tax burdens go its one of the lowest forms for most, despite Texas being ranked 7th highest median property tax rate in the US. The median property tax in Texas is $2775. If we had income tax instead - I guarantee your tax liability is going to be at least double or triple that for the average middle income earner.

Lets say we put a 10% income tax in place, and delete property taxes. That $2775 would be 10% of $27,750 or roughly $14.76 per hour if you figure 1880 hours worked in a year. If you're working for $20 per, you're grossing $37,600 and paying the state $3,760 for your trouble. A guy making $60k a year is paying 6 grand for the privilege of working. Now we're more than double the median property tax for the state. Median income for Texas is a bit over $60k. You're still middle class if you're making $150k - and those middle class 6 figure earners would be shelling out $15,000 in our theoretical income tax - and that is *if* it was a flat 10% across the board. No doubt they'd put in a graduated scale, so the poors paid nothing, but the guy making $150k? Lets bump him to 12 or 15% to make up for it. At 15% income tax, you get the pleasure of paying $22,500 in income tax. Not quite 10X the median property tax (and no doubt, a guy making $150k isn't living in a median-tax style home, but he's probably not paying 10X the property tax than the guy making 30k either)

We could ditch the income tax idea, ditch the property tax, and raise the minimum sales tax to 15%. Poor people loose major buying power and are much more impacted than top earners. Retailers will feel that, because fewer people will be buying things. Costs will rise to make up for it, meaning even less people buying whatever and the cycle continues until someone's out of business and the standard of living slips ever lower.

Maybe we take a hybrid approach - bump sales tax to 11% minimum, and implement a business income tax. Small businesses will suddenly find themselves in a bind. More job losses as businesses close. Those that remain - well, their owners are going to find every loophole to avoid taxes they can, and their costs will be passed along. Again - less buying power for the consumers.

I think instead of monkeying with the tax system that for the most part is working well here - they should be looking at areas of the government where programs / services can be eliminated, or costs drastically reigned in or cut entirely. Prioritize agencies and eliminate the agencies that have the least important functions, eliminate unnecessary employees, or programs. Audit every agency once every few years and see where every dollar goes and make sure every dollar is going where it should, and not just going to enrich someone's uncle or brother or lover.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I see that Beto came out this weekend and said if he gets the dim nomination he will go hard after Texas citizens owning ARs and AKs.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Appears Matthew McConaughey has pulled out of the race - if he was ever really in it.
    I'm kind of unsure. He mentioned being interested in running, but I can't recall he actually committed to running. I'm thinking he really never was officially running. Just gauging the interest if he did, before committing officially.

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Well….

As seeing there isn’t any other alternative for voting for Governor, I would rather have Hotwheels in office, than Lloyd from Dim, and Dimmer!
    I can’t believe Robert O’Rourke is still going to run, especially after a poll, and an interviewing reporter said he was THE least popular candidate to run, and probably never get elected!
    If that moron gets elected, Texas is in for some real TROUBLE!!!
    “Beto” doesn’t have any original thoughts, or ideas, when it comes to politics. He toes the line with whatever the Demorat party says, and does!
    Need I say more?!?

Hawk

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Well….

As seeing there isn’t any other alternative for voting for Governor, I would rather have Hotwheels in office, than Lloyd from Dim, and Dimmer!
    I can’t believe Robert O’Rourke is still going to run, especially after a poll, and an interviewing reporter said he was THE least popular candidate to run, and probably never get elected!
    If that moron gets elected, Texas is in for some real TROUBLE!!!
    “Beto” doesn’t have any original thoughts, or ideas, when it comes to politics. He toes the line with whatever the Demorat party says, and does!
    Need I say more?!?

Hawk
    Until the end of the primary, you should seriously consider throwing a vote to Huffines... and if he loses, hold your nose and vote for HRH Abbott, the lockdown coward.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I'm still considering Allen West in the primary. I've watched and listened to him for years and like his conservative message. I met him at my local gun range recently and said, "hello Mr. West" He said "call me Allen". He saw my Let's Go Brandon tee shirt and loved it as he gripped my hand. He was buying ammo for his .380 he was open carrying. Come to find out he lives locally, the owner of the range says he is a member, is supporting him, my family all like him and I had no idea. He sure seems the real deal after chatting for 5 minutes.

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    I'm still considering Allen West in the primary. I've watched and listened to him for years and like his conservative message. I met him at my local gun range recently and said, "hello Mr. West" He said "call me Allen". He saw my Let's Go Brandon tee shirt and loved it as he gripped my hand. He was buying ammo for his .380 he was open carrying. Come to find out he lives locally, the owner of the range says he is a member, is supporting him, my family all like him and I had no idea. He sure seems the real deal after chatting for 5 minutes.

I think Allen West would make a good Governor.

Hawk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Prediction:

With both West and Huffines running, they will split the vote and Abbott wins the primary.

Top Bottom