DK Firearms

Will my TX CHL allow me to keep my handgun on me on vacation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndAmendmentGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    OK... this might be a tough one. I'm a fairly new CHL holder, but I've really become used to having my handgun on me at all times. I'm going on vacation during 4th of July week and am wondering if there's any way I'm going to be able to bring my handgun along for the ride.

This is the situation:

Flying from Austin to Michigan, staying there for a while, then taking a ferry across Lake Michigan to Wisconsin spending some time in eastern WI, then driving across state to LaCrosse and ultimately flying back to Austin from there. So...

1) How do I plan for a flight from TX to MI? (i.e. who do I have to notify? How do I pack? what do I do at the airport?)
    2) Will MI even recognize a TX CHL? (do I have to do anything at THAT airport?)
    3) Are there issues with taking my gun on the ferry from MI to WI? Any suggestions on how I deal with that?; finally
    4) Does WI recognize a TX CHL?; what do I have to do to arrange for flight from WI back to TX (if not the same as #1 above.

I understand I could probably spend a good chunk of time trying to research the answers to all this, but was hoping the message board might have some smart people who can help me save some time.

Thanks all:

(frequent reader, new poster)
    DK Firearms

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Here is the website of the agency that issued your CHL. Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing

Scroll down and click on "Concealed Handgun License Agreements with Other States" to see if the states to where you are going have reciprocity.

Here is the TSA website about flying with your gun; TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Don't know what ferry you will be taking, but here is the website for one; Lake Express - Lake Michigan's High Speed Ferry

2ndAmendmentGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks TXInv. Looks like I run into problems with Wisconsin. I'm not able to find anything that would indicate that this state will honor my CHL. Grrrr! }:-( Does anyone have information that suggests I'm wrong on this? What do folks do when traveling to states that don't honor TX CHLs? Am I ok if I just pack it in my bag and leave it there? Guess I need to research Wisconsin handgun laws.
    I'm traveling on the S.S. Badger (S.S. Badger: Big Ship, More Fun!) just as an fyi. I'll review the site to see if they post anything about traveling w/ handgun, but may be pointless if I can't even have it in WI.
    Anyway, thanks again, and I welcome any additional thoughts/ideas.

big_bad_kitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Denton, TX
    Wisconsin does not issue Permit/Licenses to carry concealed firearms. They do not honor any other states Permit/License. Open carry is legal in Wisconsin. Check their state website for more info.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom