ARJ Defense ad

Will modding my sks compromise accuracy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    There is always going to be some idiots that think they can turn a gun into something it isn't. The are either someone that knows very little about guns to begin with, or someone too cheap to spend the money to buy the right gun for the intended purpose.
    ARJ Defense ad

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    So seriously though...

When I was a new SKS owner in California I travelled to Arizona and picked up some 37rd magazines and one of those skeleton stocks. It looked like an AK kinda. Most California's couldn't tell the difference. I was that guy :-C

My experience - I couldn't get the mags to fit right and had constant feed issues with them. Getting them in took too long and if I didn't get them just right then I couldn't get them back out. Like really, they were jammed and I'd have to put the muzzle on the ground and while holding the release button I had to stomp the back of the magazine to get it to rock forward and come off. The magazines themselves were suicidal and the feed lips were shaving off from poor alignment, even when the mags were installed as correctly as I could get them. After a couple hundred rounds each the mags quit working with more than about 12 rounds In them.

As for the stock, I had to file the magwell open a little to allow the wider detachable mags to fit. The stock never felt right and the ergonomics were just off. After a few months I out it back to original configuration.

And you want to out a scope on it? Save your money. I tried a receiver cover with integral mount. This was another dremil (the cover) to make it fit scenario. It was a snug fit. The scope still couldn't hold zero for shit. I bought a better scope. Same problem. The only way a scope will work with that rifle is to replace the rear sight and use a pistol scope with long eye relief. And the whole time I could hit with the iron sight at ~250-300 yards just fine. If anything, maybe get a little red dot sight.

So yes, I was that guy once and learned a bunch of expensive lessons. Go on, beat me up. I just wanted it to be a cool rifle. I recommend to not waste the money. That said, if you're still thinking about it I'd highly advise to just sell the SKS and buy an AK. It will be cheaper in the end but AKs seem to be a little less accurate.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    So seriously though...

When I was a new SKS owner in California I travelled to Arizona and picked up some 37rd magazines and one of those skeleton stocks. It looked like an AK kinda. Most California's couldn't tell the difference. I was that guy :-C

My experience - I couldn't get the mags to fit right and had constant feed issues with them. Getting them in took too long and if I didn't get them just right then I couldn't get them back out. Like really, they were jammed and I'd have to put the muzzle on the ground and while holding the release button I had to stomp the back of the magazine to get it to rock forward and come off. The magazines themselves were suicidal and the feed lips were shaving off from poor alignment, even when the mags were installed as correctly as I could get them. After a couple hundred rounds each the mags quit working with more than about 12 rounds In them.

As for the stock, I had to file the magwell open a little to allow the wider detachable mags to fit. The stock never felt right and the ergonomics were just off. After a few months I out it back to original configuration.

And you want to out a scope on it? Save your money. I tried a receiver cover with integral mount. This was another dremil (the cover) to make it fit scenario. It was a snug fit. The scope still couldn't hold zero for shit. I bought a better scope. Same problem. The only way a scope will work with that rifle is to replace the rear sight and use a pistol scope with long eye relief. And the whole time I could hit with the iron sight at ~250-300 yards just fine. If anything, maybe get a little red dot sight.

So yes, I was that guy once and learned a bunch of expensive lessons. Go on, beat me up. I just wanted it to be a cool rifle. I recommend to not waste the money. That said, if you're still thinking about it I'd highly advise to just sell the SKS and buy an AK. It will be cheaper in the end but AKs seem to be a little less accurate.

LMAO! There were many things I also did a great number of years ago, that I would never even dream of doing to a gun now. Some even give me the dry shudders just remembering them!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Few years ago I looked at lever actions at sportsmans. Guy working tried to hand me a mossberg all covered with that mall ninja trash. I didn’t even touch it. Said put it back.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I prefer my rifles the way Mikhail intended....

de20946025c3f6631a16636651557a71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Attachments

• de20946025c3f6631a16636651557a71.jpg
      de20946025c3f6631a16636651557a71.jpg
      92.9 KB · Views: 396

Ordnance45B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2020
    Gulf Coast
    I did this to a Yugo 59/66 I had years ago. I can't see how this mod would affect accuracy. It doesn't affect lockup, firing pin force or harmonics. I will say that detachable "duckbill" mags suck in my experience, its faster to load the internal box via strippers than deal with the duck. There are a few good plans on modifying sks to take ak mags, much better idea... if you're crafty. I think only one sks variant was made to take ak mags from the factory, it was a Chinese model if I recall correctly. My 2 cents.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Buncha fudds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We've all done regrettable stuff. You just don't want to admit to anything incriminating.

And while we're at it, let's just call them banana clips like the news people

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Is a banana clip actually a thing?

Some Russian mashup of survival food and ammo holder all in one?

I wonder how they store in the ammo tins?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I had a Norinco as a kid that had a 30 round mag conversion (bought it that way), and it fed .. ok. I'd never do that to the Tula I have now.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    What modding your SKS will compromise is your reputation and/or integrity!

Full open kimono, my first SKS was a bubba'd Yugo. In my defense, I was pretty ignorant of the Simonov rifles at the time, and I got it cheap. I still have it, but I am embarrassed to be seen in public with it. I figure one day I'll need a disposable rifle and it will fit the bill...

By the way, I've since become well educated on the SKS. While overshadowed by the Kalashnikov two years later, it is still a fine, reliable and well-designed weapon that gets the job done. Had the AK not emerged, I think it would have gone on to be one of the premier carbines of its time!

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    If you want more capacity look for an SKS-D or and SKS-M...

I agree, leave them alone.............3-4 inch group @ 100 yards is acceptable for an open sight rifle like the SKS....imho....

On the other hand, Bubba'd guns make our unmolested guns worth more...

Top Bottom