• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    My son is active duty Air Force and is stationed in Wichita Falls for a few months. He would like to get his TX CHL while he is still in TX before he goes to his permanent duty assignment. He currently lives on base in the training dorms and is not allowed to have a gun.

Does anybody have a recommendation on where to go for his CHL class? Unless I drive 6 hours round trip to take him a gun, he'll need to rent a gun for the class. He'll be able to take the class as soon as next month. (just finished BMT and he is still restricted to base)

While I have your attention, does anybody know how accommodating the military is for CHLs. I doubt they can carry on base, but can they keep the gun with police and check it out when they leave base? Can they get special permission to keep a gun on base in their car? Nobody had CHLs when I was in the Air Force, so I don't know if the military makes any concessions for them.
    Lynx Defense

Kaos

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2014
    Plano
    The military really doesnt recognize the CHL per say... Everyone has to register their weapons with the provost marshal (some units require you register it with your unit commander and have his/her authorization), no carrying concealed or open carry. If they live in the base barracks, then he would have to turn it in to his units armory and can check it out for like the range or hunting. For more info, find out what base he will be stationed at and look up or contact the provost marshal for more info. Alot of times, you can find that info on the Military Posts website.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    The military really doesnt recognize the CHL per say... Everyone has to register their weapons with the provost marshal (some units require you register it with your unit commander and have his/her authorization), no carrying concealed or open carry. If they live in the base barracks, then he would have to turn it in to his units armory and can check it out for like the range or hunting. For more info, find out what base he will be stationed at and look up or contact the provost marshal for more info. Alot of times, you can find that info on the Military Posts website.

That's kind of what I figured. I know they ask about mine every time I go to a military base. Thanks for the reply.

Anybody know the best class for CHL in Wichita Falls? I found some classes on the internet, but don't know them other than their website. I doubt my son will know enough locals to find the best school unless he talks to someone off base like maybe at church or a local policeman, when he can go off base.

Street Wolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Wichita Falls
    Point Blank CHL is good. Had mine done there recently. Feel free to PM me if need be, I'd be more than happy to share my contact info and help him find the place and what not.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    Do either of these places rent guns for the class? I don't feel like driving 6 hours round trip to loan him one and he can't have one on base.

He will be allowed to go off base Friday and 2 weeks later he can leave base in his civilian clothes. I forgot how bad restrictions sucked after BMT. We are taking him his TV, computer, PS3, clothes and truck on Friday. I warned him about his pending popularity in tech school, being one of the few with a car and how many airmen are busted for DUI. He'll do fine. I had to at least warn him. What kind of dad would I be if I didn't?

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    Renting or just being provided (from the CHL class) is a possibility. Many classes do have weapons available. Is he already a shooter?

Yes. He knows the basics. He may need a few minutes with a rental to find out if it's DA, SA, where the magazine release is located, and how the safety works. My carry guns are DAO with no external safety, so I'm sure he'd like a little practice. He'd be just fine with a G19 or such. He just finished BMT, so he carried an M16 around for a couple of weeks and can strip and reassemble it easily, but he hasn't held a pistol in about 4 months.

Top Bottom